Snellerized MS461 on the dyno

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and sent a saw to Chad to run on the dyno. This particular saw was built the same as all of my 461s, not knowing it was going to go on the dyno. Also, this saw is not nearly broken in, as it's still on only is first or second tank of fuel.

This graph does a great job of giving a visual representation of my build style, and why I build like I do. I talk a lot about demanding both RPMs and torque. If a saw doesn't have both, I'm not happy with the build. Notice how the ported saw makes as much or more HP than the max of the stock saw from about 7,500-12,000 RPMs. HP climbs earlier than the stock saw but at the same rate/curve. Once the stock saw maxes out, the ported saw just keeps climbing. Once it peaks, there's no abrupt fall off, and it tapers off nicely. It's making 6+ HP from <7,000 all the way up to almost 12,500.

Even more surprising than the results of my ported saw, are the results of the stock saw. This is the same saw that Chad ran on his dyno before, only this time, it's making 3/4 more HP. Since then, this saw has seen a lot of run time with a 36" bar, so is fully broken in. The same testing methodology was used. This really surprises me. I would have never guessed it would be that much. This would suggest that the ported saw should easily end up at 8.5+HP. I'll take that!

A couple details about how I build a 461. This saw has a .035" popup, resulting in 180-190 PSI compression. It's been several months since I built this saw, so I don't recall exactly what it was. I find that the 461 runs best with lots of intake duration and set the intake port timing at 85°. I've also found that it likes short blowdown, so have that set at 16°. I've tested other configurations, and this is where I find the 461 runs best. This saw is wearing a 046 coil and timing has been advanced about 6°.

graph_zpsxqvkw5cf-L.jpg

Nice work Brad !
It sure looks like 8hp is gunna happen once she is all settled and broken in.

I remember my first time going to a dyno proving my gains my butt felt. Smile ear to ear that day. The real reward was when I went to the track and picked up mph and dropped et's. Now you have double the proof. In the cut and the dyno numbers.

If only I had a good way to record sound. The sound of a good ported saw loaded on the dyno is absolutely fantastic. I was amazed at how well this saw ran. It pulled hard yet idled beautifully.

A way to avoid the sound clipping is to move the camera to a distance and zoom in. Some cameras have input for microphones.

What it shows also is that it your 'in the cut' working rpm is lifted a couple of K yet is still broad actually broader than stock. This don't look like a hyper narrow cookie cutter band, it looks like a torquey worksaw with a substantial power increase. l like Chad's comments on how it idles.

Good job Brad, that will definitely cut firewood quicker than a stock one!. Compression is a good way to increase torque everywhere which in turn increases hp. My personal saws I prefer to have as much compression as possible.

Good job Brad, that will definitely cut firewood quicker than a stock one!. Compression is a good way to increase torque everywhere which in turn increases hp. My personal saws I prefer to have as much compression as possible.
I like to keep the compression under 200. I don't see the need for more than that. Less stress on the bottom end and not necessary for a super stout work saw. That's just my opinion and build style.

What it shows also is that it your 'in the cut' working rpm is lifted a couple of K yet is still broad actually broader than stock. This don't look like a hyper narrow cookie cutter band, it looks like a torquey worksaw with a substantial power increase. l like Chad's comments on how it idles.
How do I double like a post? :) That's exactly what I shoot for. Chain speed is what cuts wood.

I did a little investigating. I found an engine tuner calculator that suggests the majority of the stock 461 Hp increase was probably due to the the colder drier air that the saw was consuming now compared to the last stock 461 test I did back in August. Temperature and humidity make a significant Hp change. This is why I always do a test against a base line saw at the same time as the modded saw.
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp.htm

Latest posts

Back