More knock off Chinese Stihls sighted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheManOfStihl

Half man, half bear, half pig.
Reaction score
My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the main business here is making parts. If you make all the parts, it's not a big step to bolting them together to make a saw, but that is probably a side line.

At least he is upfront and not trying to pass off a branded knockoff. That's the biggest issue, labelling. People can see it is NOT being sold as a genuine stihl.

Well I suppose you're right. He's not trying to hide that it's not genuine. But doesn't that violate some kind of trademark or copyright? Not only the color scheme but the design of the parts as well as the MS prefix on the model number? I don't know how picky they get but I can't believe Stihl doesn't take these ducks out of the water for making a physically identical copy.

Well I suppose you're right. He's not trying to hide that it's not genuine. But doesn't that violate some kind of trademark or copyright? Not only the color scheme but the design of the parts as well as the MS prefix on the model number? I don't know how picky they get but I can't believe Stihl doesn't take these ducks out of the water for making a physically identical copy.

I am not an IP lawyer or expert at all. all I can say is people buy aftermarket made to fit and be near/the same as parts for ..man, tons of stuff, every day. If you bought an AM say husky clutch cover, and it was orange, is that cool? Say it was made to fit like a 372xp, and they called it a lucky dragon 372 part..is that cool?? Looks at the variety of piston and cylinder kits sold around here, that aren't branded OEM.... or the popularity of the red earthquake max cheap clones....

It's the whole saw, but they aren't claiming it is a stihl.

As to nation X being scumbag copiers, that's stones and glass houses, read up on the history of the USA as regards european inventions/manufactured items and books, in the olden days.

And as to "buy american" and stuff like that, that horse long ago left the burning stable.

ya it sucks....I am old enough to remember when 95% or better of everything you saw for sale was made here. but..I looked on ebay, no time machines out there yet.

I personally lost factory jobs when they were shipped overseas, after it happened more than once, I just accepted reality, that this was billionaire globalist wall street and their bought and paid for "parties" in governments decision and doings and actions, and there wasn't a single dang thing anyone was gonna do or "vote" for that was going to change that reality. They decided they were gonna go way out of their way to have china make everything on the planet, and sell it back to us for printed up pieces of paper (a very smooth con actually...), and do that as long as they could get away with it, which is so far, up until now..but I don't think that will last forever either....then the day of pauperism reckoning will hit..and hard.....

Now I am not gonna run out and order one of these clone copy saws, absolutely zero interest, but I also cannot dis someone who does, either, as long as they don't try to lie and flip it as the genuine like made in germany or whatever article.

As with zogger above, I'm also no IP lawyer, but in my career I've had exposure to invention disclosures, intellectual property, patents, etc. The reason you see blatant copies of designs and color schemes could be for a few reasons...

First, those AM brands could have copied and marketed the parts/saws knowing good and well that Stihl's lawyers would come knocking. It's possible litigation followed, or just an agreeable settlement out of court and brand X ultimately owes Stihl a small percentage of each part/saw they sell in order to continue making and marketing them. This happens a lot more than you'd ever imagine in many industries.

Second, it could be possible that Stihl just happens to know exactly what they're doing and they know that the kind of guy willing to put a $50 Chinese cylinder on his seized Stihl saw wouldn't pony up the $200 for OEM if it were their only option, he'd just chuck it and buy a new big box saw, so there isn't much money to lose there.

Third, and this is wild speculation; perhaps since the last time I saw a patent plaque hanging on a wall it was issues by the United States Patent Office each nation is the same. Maybe there's not a lot of international authority when a Chinese company copies a German design? Just a guess. I would find it hard to believe it's marshall law in the international patent world, but I don't really know...

I know where an 880 is on CL new in box for $600!!!

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

I suppose since there only fakes you'd want them for nothing ................... git a life man

I have a life. And I can spell. :clap:

I never said they should be free. I said I was shocked at how much they sell for - nothing positive or negative. Frankly, I'm impressed that they bring that kind of money. I was considering purchasing one just to have it in my hands and run it to see for myself, first hand, how the fit, finish, and quality is. Just to see how they run compared to my 070's, but for the money they seem to demand the knowledge isn't worth the price of admission. For that money I can get a much preferred nice used Stihl 070. If you'd like to discuss further (again), we can take it up in your thread from a few days ago.

Well when it comes to pricing all I can say is that they get a lot for fake boobies too!

chinese laws regarding manufacturing are pretty ridiculous but are federal code so nobody outsourcing to china can pretend ignorance. Let someone there make anything for you or any component of something for you and when the contract ends the chinese maker can keep making the components or complete units even if they only made a component before. The chinese maker is also legally entitled to use the original brand name, all of this applies to sales in china. I don't keep up with these things but unless the laws have changed all of this stuff is completely legal until it leaves china. Easy to make decals and I am 99% certain they are easily purchased. When these saws are passed off as the genuine article outside of china they become dead illegal most places as far as I know.

When it comes to having exact copies made in china, every manufacturer that outsources there knows they are making a deal with the devil, short term profits for long term losses and headaches. china makes ford and chevy trucks now although they do rebrand them even in china. they routinely steal airplane designs, just copied an aircraft carrier! russia and most anyone should know by now that regardless of what even the first contract calls for they are unlikely to sell more than the first shipment of anything major to china. I seem to recall china ordering over a hundred passenger jets from Russia and canceling the order after the first shipment, then reverse engineering the airplane. suckers! Just as greedy and short sighted as we are.

The Stihl colored saws are certainly flying close to the wind legally and I don't doubt some are snapped up to slap Stihl decals on and resale. Bigger players can buy them by the shipping container load, slap Stihl labels on them, and over double their money.

While I'm not thrilled with the copies, it is hard to say much about the ones marketed as such. Quality control is all over the place in china and you know that you are dealing with people who play a little fast and loose with the rules when you buy these things, so I guess everyone decides for themselves just like when you decide to buy the "junk" bigbox saws. Did it for myself but I did over $25,000 worth of work with one of those little junk bigbox saws along with a few chains and bars since I mercilessly stuck it in the dirt when I needed to.

When all is said and done, Pogo was right. "We have met the enemy and he is us" or words to that effect. We can't buy imported junk for 75% of our purchases and then complain because we can't buy quality for the same price, worse, we have helped drive the quality manufacturers out of business so now we have difficulty finding quality in some items at any price!

Hu

The sorry fact of the matter is there is a huge segment of our population that doesn't care if its fake or not as long as they can save a buck. Then you have all the "undocumented workers" that do a lot of this type of work that could care less where their equipment comes from. Its' the new American way, almost everybody does it to some extent. Just think about that the next time you walk though the doors at Chinamart. Ok I know its closer or cheaper than the Mom and Pop store down the road, I get it.

Clemsonfor - I saw that 880 also for $600 on CL. Brand new for $600. Now wait a minute....

doesn't that sound fishy to you? BRAND NEW MS880 for $600? Is it stolen or what? Something is up with that. When I saw it, it had already been posted for a few days. No one bought it yet? Doesn't surprise me. Too suspicious.

Clemsonfor - I saw that 880 also for $600 on CL. Brand new for $600. Now wait a minute....

doesn't that sound fishy to you? BRAND NEW MS880 for $600? Is it stolen or what? Something is up with that. When I saw it, it had already been posted for a few days. No one bought it yet? Doesn't surprise me. Too suspicious.

That saw is advertised nationwide, has been for months, maybe over a year now. You don't even get a saw of any kind, just ID theft. At least that is what I read, others can do their own homework. Oddly enough, always for $600, always at least and often only that top view shooting down into the box. I would think CL would shut them down but I seem to think wrong about that!

Hu

Latest posts

Back