Rounding out my collection - small CC Stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rking453

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
It all started with a red lever 026 and I was hooked on these older Stihls. Added an 036, another 026, then another 036, then an 044 and an 064. I've gone as big as I would ever need with the 064, now I'm wondering what models I should look at in the other direction. Looking for around the same age, mid 90s roughly. What are some of the best saws smaller than the 026 that I should look into? Mostly looking for regular but maybe a top handle.

It all started with a red lever 026 and I was hooked on these older Stihls. Added an 036, another 026, then another 036, then an 044 and an 064. I've gone as big as I would ever need with the 064, now I'm wondering what models I should look at in the other direction. Looking for around the same age, mid 90s roughly. What are some of the best saws smaller than the 026 that I should look into? Mostly looking for regular but maybe a top handle.
Most of the smaller ones seem to fall in the homeowner category of saws vs pro saws, the 026/036/046/066 and their successors are kind of the champions of the Stihl line (and old slightly smaller variations like the 044/064). I like an MS211 I recently fixed up but people see not much point in a 35cc saw that barely weighs less than the 251 45cc saw (which I have one of too), and both are homeowner category. I think the 020T was supposed to be a pretty decent top handle, the 019T apparently is to be avoided. I guess the 024 was kind of a little brother of the 026, so kind of like the 044/064 in that regard and a good saw. Maybe the 024 and the 020T, beyond that there are a lot of perfectly decent old little Stihls but nothing special.

I am very fond of O25's. Used 1 where I worked for 10 years and had 2 I bought for personal use after. All cut a respectable amount of wood year after year trouble free as any pro saw I owned to memory. I went to my 2nd because the first was stolen. They feel lighter and more nimble then an 026, fairly peppy throttle response to the point I seldom use my 026. 025 is less fatiguing and with a 16in bar and smallish trees feels as fast. Bigger stuff I usually skip to the 036 next in line. Lower I recently added an adjustable carb and opened the muffler on an ms180 that been in my lineup. Woke it up very well and I expect I will use it more often . I don't want to be without an 025 for sure . The 180 is nice to.

I wouldn't bother going below 026/260 in gas. I think there is one smaller professional saw, 024/240 but its very close in weight and then you're into homeowner quality saws. By all means get a cheap 161/170/180, but don't expect it to last more than a few years.

Jokes aside, have you considered an electric pruning saw? The low power end of the market is where they actually compare to to gas. If you have batteries for any other cordless tool (makita/stihl/dewalt) its quite cheap to buy the tool body only.

I wouldn't bother going below 026/260 in gas. I think there is one smaller professional saw, 024/240 but its very close in weight and then you're into homeowner quality saws. By all means get a cheap 161/170/180, but don't expect it to last more than a few years.

Jokes aside, have you considered an electric pruning saw? The low power end of the market is where they actually compare to to gas. If you have batteries for any other cordless tool (makita/stihl/dewalt) its quite cheap to buy the tool body only.
I have owned and helped maintain numerous 180's and 170's amongst other Stihl homeowners stihls. Less than 3years for a tree service that uses them several hours a week all year likely but your average rural consumer that cuts his firewood and cleans up his property , and doesn't abuse it excessively most often can get near 10 to 25 or more years out of them .

I have owned and helped maintain numerous 180's and 170's amongst other Stihl homeowners stihls. Less than 3years for a tree service that uses them several hours a week all year likely but your average rural consumer that cuts his firewood and cleans up his property , and doesn't abuse it excessively most often can get near 10 to 25 or more years out of them .
I assumed the OP's intent was more of a completist collection kind of desire from a certain time period rather than any actual saw need. I think most of the homeowner ones work great and will lost forever with care, just not necessarily something for a "collection". The homeowner ones I've repaired for myself that were given up on as terminally broken by a tree service really didn't need a lot to make them whole again. They just didn't have time or skills to repair them, and the Stihl dealer repairing them cost about as much as a new little saw. Clamshells are a great saw to learn saw repair on, because tree services discard them so readily.

I've been looking at the 20V DeWalt pole saw since I own 20V DeWalt tools with some large 6.0AH batteries. Seems well reviewed and surprisingly capable for what it is, and $153 or so for the tool only is a bargain. Want long reach but don't need a $300-400 second hand gas Stihl pole saw much less a $700+ new one and only want it for around my yard and for woods/trail use on some acres of my father's property in Florida.

I have FIVE 019t top handle saws from the 1970s and these are my #1 grab and cut units! 12" bars on two; 16" bars on two; and a 14" on the fifth. Yup -- I have a couple of 026 Pro's as my #1 cutters; a 039 and MS 390 for the big (for me ;)) stuff; and an 036 with a lonng bar for those cuts I do not look forward too :). The 19t's are light-weight; fairly easy on fuel consumption; most easy to chain-sharp and maintain.
The 019t's have been three or four times updated -- new models -- but I see no "improvement" worth the money. I consider my 019t's like the EverReady Energizer battery -- they keep on cutting and keep on cutting...

I got a low hour 024 that need few thing gas line and ****, it’s a badass little saw I use sometimes to keep fresh fuel in her….i have an 026 and they are screamers….got a ms261c next time I get a load of logs may do a side by side

I assumed the OP's intent was more of a completist collection kind of desire from a certain time period rather than any actual saw need. I think most of the homeowner ones work great and will lost forever with care, just not necessarily something for a "collection". The homeowner ones I've repaired for myself that were given up on as terminally broken by a tree service really didn't need a lot to make them whole again. They just didn't have time or skills to repair them, and the Stihl dealer repairing them cost about as much as a new little saw. Clamshells are a great saw to learn saw repair on, because tree services discard them so readily.
Yip , professionals use Stihl clamshells around here a lot to . Some applications they make more sense then an expensive pro saw and leave the owner with a better profit margin for the time they served .

I'd get a top handle like the 200t or maybe a ms170 or 180.
The slightly smaller saws like a 024 are very close in weight to the 026 so you will never use them instead of it.
2nd the 180. 044 is my main saw but I always carry an ms180 for backup. My 044 starts great when cold and when hot, but it's a trick to start when warm and I flood it often. Just flip the 180 on and it starts first pull hours after first running it.

I have thought about it, I have a ton of DeWalt batteries, and a DeWalt pole saw that works excellent. I'm sure their chainsaw would be great too for something to throw in the four wheeler for little trail cleanup jobs. As practical as it would be it hurts my heart a little to use an electric saw vs my Stihls. While I use all my saws I still am a collector of sorts and really appreciate the older saws.

I got a low hour 024 that need few thing gas line and ****, it’s a badass little saw I use sometimes to keep fresh fuel in her….i have an 026 and they are screamers….got a ms261c next time I get a load of logs may do a side by side
Sometimes I think the two 026s I have are not enough, I just love those saws.

I've been looking at the 20V DeWalt pole saw since I own 20V DeWalt tools with some large 6.0AH batteries. Seems well reviewed and surprisingly capable for what it is, and $153 or so for the tool only is a bargain. Want long reach but don't need a $300-400 second hand gas Stihl pole saw much less a $700+ new one and only want it for around my yard and for woods/trail use on some acres of my father's property in Florida.
You are correct, I'm not simply trying to fill a practical need as much as I am looking to add to my collection. That said, I still use all my saws, and a small top handle would be handy. I have the DeWalt pole saw and it is fantastic. I also have a KM131R with a pole saw attachment and find myself using it much less than the DeWalt.

There are many models of non professional stihl, husqavarna, echo and others that have the longevity of a pro saw. Personally have a 180 I've ran the snot out of for 18 years. Pro saws have higher power to weight, response time, ease of field maintenance.............., but don't necessarily last longer.

I have thought about it, I have a ton of DeWalt batteries, and a DeWalt pole saw that works excellent. I'm sure their chainsaw would be great too for something to throw in the four wheeler for little trail cleanup jobs. As practical as it would be it hurts my heart a little to use an electric saw vs my Stihls. While I use all my saws I still am a collector of sorts and really appreciate the older saws.
For small stuff, dirty stuff, roots, can't beat a pruning blade in a battery reciprocating saw.

Latest posts

Back