32" MS250??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually many Poulan saws come with a full skip version or Oregon 91VG - it has double shark fin bumper links between every cutter. It's nasty stuff. But if you take the time to grind off the shark fins you get full skip chamfer chisel, which happens to work quite well on pole saws.
View attachment 377777

You only ever see that skip LP chain come fitted to cheaparsed saws. It's probably because they don't have the grunt to run non skip :)
The double shark fin chain is technically called "Guard Link" chain as opposed to the single shark fin type chain which is called "Bumper Link".

You are correct on that, I emailed him asking about a 3/8 conversion on my 261 and he says this:

8 tooth .325 wont cut good at all. you need to switch out your .325 gear for one of our 3/8 hot rod kits for the MS261 it will cut twice as fast

Isn't an 8 tooth .325 about the same chain speed as a 7 tooth in 3/8? I had since found a .325 8 tooth Stihl sprocket to go on my 261 and love it, although it obviously loses a little when you're burying the bar, not rocket science here I just don't lean as hard.

Quite frankly he is full of sh*t with this comment. A 261 has more than enough torque to pull .325" and an 8 pin with authority - I've run that setup in our hardwoods which really give saws and chains a workout. Although with a 261 he was probably running a 42" bar so he could be correct :)

Saw does not have a high output oiler. He recommends putting one on due to the bar size and he provides a link to the part.

The saw in the vid was not bogging or slowing down excessively. If the clutch is not slipping there will be no extra heat at all. Don't understand your "a LOT more heat" comment??? Either it can pull the chain at a good cutting speed or it can't, that's all there is to it. Any saw can run different length bars with little problem. On my 7900 i have run from 16" all the way to 36" with no dramas. Yes a 32" is just plain stupid for other reasons on a 250 but it handles that 24" pretty well in the vid. MS250 probably can't oil a bar that long properly plus the extra leverage force from a massive bar on a plastic case saw isn't good either..... :rolleyes:
Ya that's a key comment there, about the leverage from that long bar on a toy saw like that. I know a dude who runs 28 inch bars on his 455 huskys and has tore up a lot of studs and cases doen that. Sure it can be done but little saws just aren't made for long bars.

Ya that's a key comment there, about the leverage from that long bar on a toy saw like that. I know a dude who runs 28 inch bars on his 455 huskys and has tore up a lot of studs and cases doen that. Sure it can be done but little saws just aren't made for long bars.

He's probably fitted the Rocket brand studs.

I gotta say, this Piltz dude sure supplies no end of entertainment. Seems he has no awareness of basic physics or basic safety, nor does he have any common sense. Scary that he lives so close to me though. Same county. Its a huge county, as counties go, but still.

He has a new one posted that I have not seen before. A 362 with a 32 inch B&C. Same Picco conversion using the large mount Canon Super Mini (low profile) bars. He even goes on to say this (I quote from Ebay):

The MS362 is very capable of handling up to 36 inch bar lengths, pay no attention to the factory bar length recommendations.

Yah, sure. Sling a 362 with a 36 and see how long it lasts and how well it cuts. Pay no attention to Stihl, they simply do not know what they are doing. Things like torque and lubrication are merely imaginary factors here. I am surprised that Stihl has not sued him into extinction yet.

Also, of the dozen or so 036/360/361s that I have bought, many had 28 inch bars on them. They all had noticeable bar burn top and bottom; pain peeled, blue rails, etc. The 036/360/361/362 all have the same oil output. Contrary to Piltz logic, these things were not intended to wear anything longer than a 25 inch bar.

Ah yes, and before someone brings it up, you can replace the 361 and 362 oil pumps with 460R pump parts (as listed in my 361 upgrades thread here on AS, they have the same oil pumps) and run a 28 inch B&C. But the 361/362 oil tank will run dry before the gas runs out if the oil is cranked up to full. Also it would be advisable to run skip chain on a 28 inch bar. That is with 3/8 std B&C. I would not run Picco on a 60cc or larger saw myself. The chainsaw mill guys run low profile on larger saws and they seem to get away with it, but they are usually well experienced and run it on 440 and larger saws. 60cc is a tad small for chainsaw milling.

.....Now that said, I run one of my 026s with a 16 inch Picco/Low Profile B&C setup, and that is a light saber in the wood. Stihl sells that setup in the EU, but not here in the states........................... Stihl no longer sell large mount Picco bars in the US for fear of litigation though. Stihl only sold large mount Picco bars here on the 024 for a few months when they came out. You can get these newer Canon low profile large mount bars and run them with Picco loops on Stihls though. The small chain is under a lot of stress though, and not designed to take the torque of larger saws. It works well on the 260, but anything larger I would be leery.
3003 000 6313 bars are 3/8p and are still available through my distributor. I have three in stock....is that the set up you have?

3003 000 6313 bars are 3/8p and are still available through my distributor. I have three in stock....is that the set up you have?

That is the bar that I have. People back east have commonly said that they can still get these bars, but when they actually try to order them, they do not get them (at least in the northeast). They are not available from Stihl in the western regions of the US and have not been for a long time now. Baileys lists them, but for 2x usual "list" price on special order. In Germany they have a kit with the Picco bar, chain and rim drive for the 261, all in one.

Here in the western US you can buy a Canon Super Mini bar and run Picco on a large mount Stihl. I do not know what rim drive you would use on a larger saw than a 024/026/260/261 though. The P rim that I have that fits a 026 does not fit a 360/361/440, etc. So I do not know what rim drive Hot Saw Piltz sets his 362 'Monster Saws' up with. 3/8 std? Not the same...

That is the bar that I have. People back east have commonly said that they can still get these bars, but when they actually try to order them, they do not get them (at least in the northeast). They are not available from Stihl in the western regions of the US and have not been for a long time now. Baileys lists them, but for 2x usual "list" price on special order. In Germany they have a kit with the Picco bar, chain and rim drive for the 261, all in one.

I ordered one a couple months ago for my personal 024 just to see of I could still get one and it showed up. So I would say they are readily available here in the Midwest. You say it's a liability issue...is there proof of that?...or is it more of a lack of demand that they are no longer available. Hell...maybe when our distributor is sold out there won't be any more for us either...who knows.

I ordered one a couple months ago for my personal 024 just to see of I could still get one and it showed up. So I would say they are readily available here in the Midwest. You say it's a liability issue...is there proof of that?...or is it more of a lack of demand that they are no longer available. Hell...maybe when our distributor is sold out there won't be any more for us either...who knows.

Proof of a liability issue... sounds like a question from a lawyer!

The liability issue came up when I talked to Logosol as to their discontinuing sales of them in the states. They still sell them overseas. Word was that people were putting longer Picco bars on 440 and 660 saws for chainsaw milling, and using 3/8 spur sprockets to drive the low profile chain with. What I heard from a Stihl rep here was that they only made them available for the 024 in the US and only for a few months with the 16 inch bar. Also the only size large mount Picco bar that was ever available here from Stihl (that I am aware of) was/is the 16 inch. Stihl also makes them in 18 and 20 inch, and sells them overseas in all three sizes. According to several Stihl dealers in the western distributor region that I have talked to about it, they are definitely not available in this region now, and several say they never were, outside of a few that came on the 024 for a few months.

They are like finding hen's teeth here. I got mine from a guy in Kansas City. I got the 026 picco rim drive from the Stihl dealer in Cottage Grove, OR who has been around forever and carries a huge inventory of parts. That is also where I get RM (semi-chisel non-safety) loops made up. Last time I was there they had some wide nose bars left, but those have gone away too. Can you get those? Everyone I have talked to says they cannot order wide nose bars from their Stihl dealers any more. Or they order them, and get the smaller nose equivalents. Seems that they have killed them for liability (higher kickback) reasons, as they sell well here. As far as I know, wide nose bars are basically sold out nation wide. Again, just what I hear. Stihl is pretty tight lipped when it comes to this stuff, and to the failings of the 661 original release, and "recall". I have asked the corporate reps in VA about all of this stuff, and gotten vague non-specific answers.

Proof of a liability issue... sounds like a question from a lawyer!

The liability issue came up when I talked to Logosol as to their discontinuing sales of them in the states. They still sell them overseas. Word was that people were putting longer Picco bars on 440 and 660 saws for chainsaw milling, and using 3/8 spur sprockets to drive the low profile chain with. What I heard from a Stihl rep here was that they only made them available for the 024 in the US and only for a few months with the 16 inch bar. Also the only size large mount Picco bar that was ever available here from Stihl (that I am aware of) was/is the 16 inch. Stihl also makes them in 18 and 20 inch, and sells them overseas in all three sizes. According to several Stihl dealers in the western distributor region that I have talked to about it, they are definitely not available in this region now, and several say they never were, outside of a few that came on the 024 for a few months.

They are like finding hen's teeth here. I got mine from a guy in Kansas City. I got the 026 picco rim drive from the Stihl dealer in Cottage Grove, OR who has been around forever and carries a huge inventory of parts. That is also where I get RM (semi-chisel non-safety) loops made up. Last time I was there they had some wide nose bars left, but those have gone away too. Can you get those? Everyone I have talked to says they cannot order wide nose bars from their Stihl dealers any more. Or they order them, and get the smaller nose equivalents. Seems that they have killed them for liability (higher kickback) reasons, as they sell well here. As far as I know, wide nose bars are basically sold out nation wide. Again, just what I hear. Stihl is pretty tight lipped when it comes to this stuff, and to the failings of the 661 original release, and "recall". I have asked the corporate reps in VA about all of this stuff, and gotten vague non-specific answers.
Haha You're right it would be a question for a lawyer...but the wide nose bars did go away for liability reasons so it's very likely the 3003 picco bars did to. I have seen one 3003 18" picco bar on an 024 and I remember writing down the number to try and order it and of course came up nla. I imagine if you are unable to get the 3003 16" picco bars any longer on the west coast then once the distributor I use runs out they will be nla for me as well. I do know the one I ordered had the new style packaging so I would say they made them for a little while after the 024 was discontinued. I do have one on my shelf that is still in the old school packaging. But anyways...for now they can still be gotten in certain regions. I also keep plenty of ps3 and ps in stock! As well as rm (non-safety). I like rm chain personally. As For the wide nose...no...They are all but gone. The only wide nose bars our distributor had in stock the last time I checked (last month) were 3/8 .063 25". These are Brazilian bars. 3/8 .063 is not a very common setup where I'm from so that's why the have them still. I still have one 28" and one 36" 3/8 .050 wide left on my shelf though;)

Chris-P,,,,,,,,, all poulans i have seen these day come from the factory with carlton chain which i thought was funny
my buddys husky 235 came with the shark fin chain and it is a awesome chain once the fins are removed, just like you said.

Latest posts

Back