More knock off Chinese Stihls sighted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ha. There ya go. Very good explanation. I saw it too, and steered clear. I knew something was wrong with that deal. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on that.

I know where an 880 is on CL new in box for $600!!!

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk
I saw that ad on CL yesterday for an 880 for $600. Only a top view, hmmm...stolen or Chinese knock off ?
That's why Stihl only sells their product from a dealer network not big box stores or online. Make sure it's the real thing before buying.

That 880 is on everybodys CL and has been for a tr!! Its a scam!

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that that 880 is a nation-wide scam. It's posted in KS and OK I know. Always the same picture, always currently posted, but always a week or two apart(around here at least).

I'm very interested in these clones. I don't want one, but the more we know, the less likely we are to get one buy accident. Eventually, enough of these may be sold that they will start appearing in local ads. So if an unscrupulous buyer takes some off fleabay, prints off some graphics for the plastic and bar..... This current seller is honest in what they are but buyer beware now on the local stuff.

There are Chinese cases too now. Ifr you search Hutzl chainsaw parts, you can get an idea of what's out there.

I'm curious as to how good the MS361 knockoff is, since it mimics a model that is actually better than what Stihl currently sells.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that that 880 is a nation-wide scam. It's posted in KS and OK I know. Always the same picture, always currently posted, but always a week or two apart(around here at least).

I'm very interested in these clones. I don't want one, but the more we know, the less likely we are to get one buy accident. Eventually, enough of these may be sold that they will start appearing in local ads. So if an unscrupulous buyer takes some off fleabay, prints off some graphics for the plastic and bar..... This current seller is honest in what they are but buyer beware now on the local stuff.

The worse case scenario is the guy who does a full rebuild using Chinese bits in a genuine case

Caveat emptor. These concerns are all exactly why it's important to know what to look for and how to indentify authenticity in what we buy. A deal that's too good to be true probably is. A seller that doesn't seem to know much about the relevant subject matter is likely a thief or playing dumb. Deal seekers are risk-takers . . . in more ways than one...

The 381, the 070-090 deals, at least you get a counterfeit saw. This 880 for $600 you don't get a saw of any flavor. You get taken for $600 plus whatever shipping they charge making a green dot payment and you get nothing in return. They swap websites constantly and pop up again with the same ad. The ad and photographs were stolen from e-bay, a saw that went almost $1800 with fair bidding. The pictures look so good because they are of a real 880.

I will make an offer for anyone interested in the $600 MS-880: I'll undercut these scamming SOB's fifty percent! ANYONE who wants to buy stolen pictures of a brand new MS-880, I'll steal them from these people and sell them to you for $300 and throw in free electronic shipping!!! Christmas special, I'll half my half price through Christmas day. $150 for pictures of a brand new MS-880!

Please form a line to the left.

Hu

Edit: these pikers are offering a three year guarantee, I'll make mine ten years! I won't steal your ID like they do either. Hell of a deal!

Last edited:
I guess it's already been said or implied but concerning the honesty of the original seller saying in his ad that it's not an original Stihl...what about the next owner of the saw selling it as original on ebay or CL? I guess all you'd have to do is change a few labels.

I guess it's already been said or implied but concerning the honesty of the original seller saying in his ad that it's not an original Stihl...what about the next owner of the saw selling it as original on ebay or CL? I guess all you'd have to do is change a few labels.

That's the thing, anything worth counterfeiting even if sold the first time as a counterfeit more than a few of the items wind up sold as real. The very cheap counterfeits are often resold with the implication they are hot to people that are willing to buy stolen items. Running blue collar type businesses I have been offered pretty much every counterfeit and scam out there at one time or another.

Having a bare minimum of ethics I avoided getting burned by counterfeits just because I generally wasn't willing to buy stolen. As admitted, I once bought a chainsaw stolen directly from Sears. They had just clipped me for over six hundred dollars refusing to honor a totally valid warranty so I wasn't real sympathetic that a couple truckloads of stuff had been stolen from them. I got about half of my six hundred and change back when I bought a $400 saw that had never had gas or oil in it for $100. Guess I'm thataway, I still don't feel bad about it although I wouldn't do the same thing today. 'least I don't think so! I didn't particularly need the saw and it wasn't greed as much as paybacks that caused me to buy it.

Hu

At the beginning of the industrial revolution people built automated factories to leverage the energy in fossil fuels, (over)producing goods at prices that undercut the craftsmen and women that previously supplied them. These former producers went out of business and became workers at the industrial manufacturers for lower pay, allowing a greater amount of money to go to the owners. But still it didn't pay for itself, and every year the factories had to borrow more money accumulating ever more debt over time.

When the US peaked in oil production in the early 1970s and the cost of fuel became significant, combined with the burden of servicing the accumulated debt, the returns were not there to support the enterprise. There were two "solutions" that were tried:

The first was going all in with automation, eliminating as many human workers as possible. This was the path pursued by companies that stayed in the US.

The second was to reverse the automation process and substitute really cheap human labor overseas. This also allowed the bypassing of expensive environmental regulations, as well as paying taxes, etc.

Now the world has peaked in oil production and the cost of energy is higher than ever, and the industrial model no longer works. The cost of credit rises in lockstep, if it is even available. The factory jobs will never be coming back. The cost of industrial produced goods will continue to rise relative to the public's ability to pay. The next step is no goods at all, certainly not cheap ones. Yes, crooked people benefited at the expense of everyone else, but that is not the root cause.

Learn to fix what you have and collect spare parts. Even Chinese ones.

At the beginning of the industrial revolution people built automated factories to leverage the energy in fossil fuels, (over)producing goods at prices that undercut the craftsmen and women that previously supplied them. These former producers went out of business and became workers at the industrial manufacturers for lower pay, allowing a greater amount of money to go to the owners. But still it didn't pay for itself, and every year the factories had to borrow more money accumulating ever more debt over time.

. . . . .

Learn to fix what you have and collect spare parts. Even Chinese ones.

I just "liked" a post I thoroughly disliked! What I liked least about it is that I think every word is true.

Hu

I'm a firm believer in supporting local businesses. I'll continue to support my local saw dealers unless or until they can no longer survive because of mail order and/or counterfeit copies.

Case in point. When I got into the radio control hobbies 30 years ago, there was at least 10 local hobby shops going strong. Each ran by good folks who would go to bat for the consumer with distributors in warranty situations, etc. Now there's 2. One is a franchise of a national chain, the other over 50 years old and only in business because he has a FFL and survives by selling reloading supplies. What happened? Stateside mail-order companies started selling cheaper than locals hobby shops cost. In the last several years, we're seeing an invasion of copies of popular airplane models designed by U.S. companies. These copies are being shipped directly from overseas and again, are sold for less than original manufacturers cost. One of the biggest companies and a true pioneer in the rc plane industry folded because of these copies.

I see a frightening parallel here, and this is just one example of many. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BUSINESSES

When the US peaked in oil production in the early 1970s and the cost of fuel became significant, combined with the burden of servicing the accumulated debt, the returns were not there to support the enterprise. There were two "solutions" that were tried:

Don't know where you've been the past few years, but we've hardly scratched the surface in oil production , much less peaked. There is good reason to believe that factory jobs will come back as the cheap domestic energy overcomes higher labor prices. This boom is happening primarily on private land. Should we get a sane energy policy that opens up Federal land to exploration and drilling, the advantage swings even more in the direction of a renewed manufacturing base in our country. Forget the good old days; we now have major competition from all around the world. The energy advantage we have, and could have, can be the edge we need to compete.

The sorry fact of the matter is there is a huge segment of our population that doesn't care if its fake or not as long as they can save a buck. Then you have all the "undocumented workers" that do a lot of this type of work that could care less where their equipment comes from. Its' the new American way, almost everybody does it to some extent. Just think about that the next time you walk though the doors at Chinamart. Ok I know its closer or cheaper than the Mom and Pop store down the road, I get it.

check out your mom and pop store next time and you will be sadly surprised that they carry just as much foreign made goods as the box stores.

"When the US peaked in oil production in the early 1970s and the cost of fuel became significant, combined with the burden of servicing the accumulated debt, the returns were not there to support the enterprise. There were two "solutions" that were tried:"

I think what he meant to say is when the cheap oil production peaked and the oil companies found they could produce cheaper in other countries with very few controls it was time to quit spending money here.

check out your mom and pop store next time and you will be sadly surprised that they carry just as much foreign made goods as the box stores.
Only because they have been forced into it to survive the Chinamart wave or because that is all that's available. At least they are still in business providing for their family.

Back