More Large PacNorWEST Hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Dill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just a couple more that got cut into firewood today. Take a look. Would love to know what you think since most guys on here are from the East.

One of the logs is Pacific Madrone [amazing firewood, if not the best anywhere], and the others are Tanoak.

Does Size Count?

How about this....what size diameter log do you prefer for making firewood? I know it is the free ones, or a lot of other answers, but lets talk how many inches in diameter?

I much prefer a 10" diameter log that I can split into 4 pieces - but they aren't always easy to find.

I love the huge pieces of oak because you get SO much out of them, but I have to split them twice - the first time i split them with the splitter in a vertical position into easily manageable pieces - and then after I have a huge pile of chunks, I flip the splitter horizontal (I split much faster this way) and take the chunks and break them down into 5 or 6 pieces of finished firewood.

Big logs can be tough on the back and a pain to split, but are often easier to come by.

If I had to decide, I would say that smaller is easier for me to handle and process, although I do everything on a regular basis.

I much prefer a 10" diameter log that I can split into 4 pieces - but they aren't always easy to find.

I love the huge pieces of oak because you get SO much out of them, but I have to split them twice - the first time i split them with the splitter in a vertical position into easily manageable pieces - and then after I have a huge pile of chunks, I flip the splitter horizontal (I split much faster this way) and take the chunks and break them down into 5 or 6 pieces of finished firewood.

Big logs can be tough on the back and a pain to split, but are often easier to come by.

If I had to decide, I would say that smaller is easier for me to handle and process, although I do everything on a regular basis.

I usually look for 14-18 inches and much prefer them, but i halve or quarter them in the mountains, and then finish them at the homestead.

I just brought home 6 sections of an oak branch that was 38" across each piece had to be quartered with a chainsaw then each quarter took two men to put up on the splitter where each quarter yielded 10-16 pieces of firewood so I much prefer the bigger wood more bang for the buck if you ask me. TH only problem seems to be without a come-a-long and a good bull rope and a tilt trailer it might be hard for some guys to load and unload those 6-800 pound blocks.

With all that softwood on the left coast, seems like you guys don't need those heavy duty saws. We should arrange a west coast, east coast saw-swap. I'll take the two you have there in the pics for mine....:greenchainsaw:

Seriously, looks like a good find. We still have some big hardwood here in the east. The biggest oak I have come across is about "32 DBA, but if you know the right people, they grow much bigger around here. I took some pics of a poplar that was about 6foot across at the base the other day...one of the bigger trees I have seen.

BTW, those are some great mountain views you have there in the pics. Let me know if you need my address to send me those saws...:clap:

With all that softwood on the left coast, seems like you guys don't need those heavy duty saws. We should arrange a west coast, east coast saw-swap. I'll take the two you have there in the pics for mine....:greenchainsaw:

Seriously, looks like a good find. We still have some big hardwood here in the east. The biggest oak I have come across is about "32 DBA, but if you know the right people, they grow much bigger around here. I took some pics of a poplar that was about 6foot across at the base the other day...one of the bigger trees I have seen.

BTW, those are some great mountain views you have there in the pics. Let me know if you need my address to send me those saws...:clap:

A lot of the need for the big saw is to reach across the big redwood and Douglas-fir [see redwood i nthe back of the last picture], but our hardwoods such as Pacific madrone, tanoak, big-leaf maple, chinquapin, black and white oak, and live oak can be hard as hell, and I have seen some of those species well over 5 feet on the butt.

The 048AV labored pretty hard on some of these woods. It does not have a high chain speed, but a lot more torque than the 044 we were running at work. It sure drops the chips out.

In the below picture there is my old Homelite 7-21 with a 50 inch bar. It runs and it cut, but it isnt fun! I only use it to show off.

Please, never get the mountains of Northern California messed up with the cities of California. We are the forgotten rural part of California that keeps Oregon buffered from the um.......in the cities. Take a look. This is what I work in and call home.

Latest posts

Back