More on Bears...Careful When Out In the Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I saw this on the local news last night. I've never heard of so many bear encounters in CO and UT as I have this year.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_13226715?source=most_viewed

I love how the family responded. The bear tried to drag Grandpa away, but the daughter and son jumped on and started beating the bear, pulling it away from Grandpa and then shot it dead.

my fathers buddy in CT. called him one morning and said he had a black bear in his driveway,we don't have bears around here,we both told him to stop hitting the bottle.
about two weeks later he handed us a picture of the bear sitting in the driveway,next to his dodge pickup.

my fathers buddy in CT. called him one morning and said he had a black bear in his driveway,we don't have bears around here,we both told him to stop hitting the bottle.
about two weeks later he handed us a picture of the bear sitting in the driveway,next to his dodge pickup.

made a believer out of ya---no???? :):):) since no one believed him--he should have shot,skinned,butchered, and ate it..same thing the dnr says about bobcats in iowa---nerds--

BearPicnicTable.jpg

There was a bear sighting not far from here this week, the CO tranquilized and moved it. Still not sure how a bear could have got into the area without being spotted sooner unless it swam across the Fraser river, an unlikely possibility.

Few weeks ago..

They spotted a black bear in Berea Ky..Thats about 25 mins away from where I live.....
Makes me wonder why they are gettin so populated now,,comin up this far..I know there are in the south eastern part of Ky but rare to see around these parts...

We had a black bear here once, on my porch trying to eat our cat! First/last time we will ever see one around here I'm sure.
Which reminds me, if you go into bear country and bring a firearm to defend yourself just in case, make sure it is capable of killing a bear. Not 20 minutes after he has killed you. A rifle. A high powered rifle. I remember a story about a guy in Alaska found dead not far from the dead grizzly that killed him. He had a .44 magnum, nice gun, but not enough.
Even if you kill the bear after he kills you whats the point?

Quite good as long as the prep work (hide removed asap because all the fir and fat keeps heat in , cleaned , no hairs left on meat and as little fat as possible).Slow cooker with tomato juice makes it nice and tender .

:cheers:
Thanks Dan, but what does it taste of? Is it like Beef, Venison or a combination of them all?

What does bear taste like?

You know how they say "you are what you eat" ?
Well black bears eat anything they can scavange,every bit of dead rotting stuff they can find.from moggots to dead rabies killed animals,if they can swallow it they eat it.... best place to find them is at a garbage dump,,whats that tell ya ??
i never had a good piece of bear meat..try every couple of years to make sure it still is as bad as i remember... had some that was so marinated,tenderized,herbed and spiced up and everything possible done to it that it could be eaten..but why bother...
if you cant whack a piece of meat off an animal and throw it on the grill as is and be tasty,,aint worth killin it..
the taste is indiscribable,,,like nothing else...dont taste like meat,dont even taste like food..

In response to HenryG's post. A few years back I headed up to northen Aust with my brother. Me being a mad keen fisherman, my brother decided to bring a shotgun as we camped near a few rivers. One night while fishing a ranger came and camped with us as he was there to trap a crocodile that was getting a little to familair with the regular fishos.

I know nothing about guns so I mentioned to him, if I was trying to protect myself and I had say a (it was a small shotgun) would I be right? He said wait until it grabs your leg then hit it as hard as you can over the head with the butt:laugh: seems they use the gun we had to shoot them directly to scare them away from their boats when they get too close.

I'll leave the guns to the pros and buy a bigger boat.

Well black bears eat anything they can scavange,every bit of dead rotting stuff they can find.from moggots to dead rabies killed animals,if they can swallow it they eat it.... best place to find them is at a garbage dump,,whats that tell ya ??
i never had a good piece of bear meat..try every couple of years to make sure it still is as bad as i remember... had some that was so marinated,tenderized,herbed and spiced up and everything possible done to it that it could be eaten..but why bother...
if you cant whack a piece of meat off an animal and throw it on the grill as is and be tasty,,aint worth killin it..
the taste is indiscribable,,,like nothing else...dont taste like meat,dont even taste like food..

MN Bear is good, since they eat berries and nuts mostly.

I wouldn't go quite that far but they are not my favorite. They taste like bear I always hated the description wild because venison tastes like venison,bear,bear,elk,elk not gamey or wild just has different flavor. I prefer elk deer,rabbit,Quail,Pheasant but will eat others just don't crave it.

I wouldn't go quite that far but they are not my favorite. They taste like bear I always hated the description wild because venison tastes like venison,bear,bear,elk,elk not gamey or wild just has different flavor. I prefer elk deer,rabbit,Quail,Pheasant but will eat others just don't crave it.

Moose my favorite,then carbou,then elk,then venison..
i eat about anything that walks,crawls,wiggles or swims,except carrion eaters..if bears only ate nuts and fruit they would starve to death,and still be poor fare because of the structure of the meat...
Crows got wings so they can beat bears to the dead stuff.
"taste like chicken ! " LOL !

We had a black bear here once, on my porch trying to eat our cat! First/last time we will ever see one around here I'm sure.
Which reminds me, if you go into bear country and bring a firearm to defend yourself just in case, make sure it is capable of killing a bear. Not 20 minutes after he has killed you. A rifle. A high powered rifle. I remember a story about a guy in Alaska found dead not far from the dead grizzly that killed him. He had a .44 magnum, nice gun, but not enough.
Even if you kill the bear after he kills you whats the point?

Thats why I bought a 454 Casull Taurus revolver Raging Bull for my trips in bear country.

Thats why I bought a 454 Casull Taurus revolver Raging Bull for my trips in bear country.

Facts are counter assault is more effective in stopping Grizzly charge but at least you have a chance. Fact is; you may have a second to see and react to the charge and even with that large caliber if shot is not absolutely perfect they will find two carcasses you and the bears.
Counter assault seems to be 85% effective in documented attacks where as; less than 50 with firearm in close range charges. If I were going into griz country I would take both making a clean shot on a charging griz is like winning in Russian roulette.

Back