More plastic woes-MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rktman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After seeing the thread on plastic use in chainsaws, I thought would share my experience.

My wife got me an MS250 for Christmas (i was saving for the the 361). I took it out for the 3rd tank of gas and broke the freaking handle just pulling it out of a pinch. Moral of the story buy a professional grade and put the smaller saw in your truck for an emergency.
I thought of trading in the 250, but I suppose I'll have to replace the handle first.

It should still be under waranty. If the dealer says that it has not been abused they will do something about it.
I know nothing of your situation or saw, but even the best pro saws will not stand up to heavy pulling or prying without damage.

You shouldn't yank on any saw that is pinched (but I guess that most of us do it, to an extent).

Much worse things can happen, than a broken handle - like a bent crank......

The rear handle usually are plastic also on pro saws, but the quality may of course be better.

Well, I know it's not a logger saw, but after a lifetime of consumer saws the 250 was a dream for me! It's light enough for a 65 year old to use all day and has good power, especially when I got a chisel chain from Bailey's. Could it be that the handle was defective or cracked? I hope the dealer comes through on it. When I'm on something big now, I get the 029 or Timber Bear. They aren't monsters, but I easily handle oak up to about 24", all I really have to do. Of course most of my work is firewood, averaging 10-18".
I can't handle the biggies all day, especially the Timber Bear. It stays on the ground, except for bucking trunks.

After seeing the thread on plastic use in chainsaws, I thought would share my experience.

My wife got me an MS250 for Christmas (i was saving for the the 361). I took it out for the 3rd tank of gas and broke the freaking handle just pulling it out of a pinch. Moral of the story buy a professional grade and put the smaller saw in your truck for an emergency.
I thought of trading in the 250, but I suppose I'll have to replace the handle first.

Tant no biggie, take that saw back where ya bought it and get the handle replaced under warranty. No need to go into details about how it broke, just say it broke while using it and thats that. If the dealer is any count he won't say a word. There is nothing in writing that says how hard you can pull on the handle so its covered. Stihl will pay for it and hopefully you'll thank the dealer and keep on shopping at his place......

Tant no biggie, take that saw back where ya bought it and get the handle replaced under warranty. No need to go into details about how it broke, just say it broke while using it and thats that. If the dealer is any count he won't say a word. There is nothing in writing that says how hard you can pull on the handle so its covered. Stihl will pay for it and hopefully you'll thank the dealer and keep on shopping at his place......

No dice, dealer says handle breakage not under warranty. $50 for a new handle. Looks like epoxy and tape time.

No dice, dealer says handle breakage not under warranty. $50 for a new handle. Looks like epoxy and tape time.
It might be a little safer to use with a new handle then with epoxy and tape, especially for $50.........just sayin'! ;)

handle wooes

check ebay. sometimes you can buy a used handle cheaper.also post pictures of the handle.:biggrinbounce2:

Here's the glued handle. Not pretty, I did melt some wire mesh into the top and bottom for some reinforcement. I know it's only $50 but I rather not spend 20% of the saws value in parts before it's even broke in. Fingers crossed.

Here's the glued handle. Not pretty, I did melt some wire mesh into the top and bottom for some reinforcement. I know it's only $50 but I rather not spend 20% of the saws value in parts before it's even broke in. Fingers crossed.

I don't think I said anything about the MS250s extremely "plasticky" feel in this tread ( as I often do), but it really is overwhelming................:help: :sucks:

It is one of the Stihl models that I want to stay a long way away from......

Last edited:
I don't think I said anything about the MS250s extremely "plasticky" feel in this tread ( as I often do), but it really is overwhelming................:help: :sucks:

It is one of the Stihl models that I want to stay a long way away from......

Howdy Sawtroll,

Are you saying when you hold it it feels plasticy or just looking at it? I think for what it costs and what it is, its a good saw. I would not buy it new (but I will probably never buy a new saw no matter the make) I would buy one used without hesistation. They cut pretty good it seems, my echo 510 is a little better but it has a little bigger motor. I know four guys right now that heat with firewood either full or partial and its the only saw they own. I would have to have something bigger and a backup but we just some poor folks around here.

I have a guy coming down tomorrow with some old huskies and homlites, my wife is catching on to my um....back up saw purchases. She aint said to much to me all day. I feel my tempature raising, yes its the fever.

If its the only saw you have it will get the job done, they aint that bad. Just my 2 pennies. Have a good evening Sawtroll.

v/r

Mike

They are only a PITA to work on if you blow up the engine... if not, see you in 1500 hours of cutting for some rings.

What's so hard about working on an 025 for anything other than a engine tear down ? (and even that is pretty simple after the first one).

Thank you - but I would stay away anyway - a couple of my friends have them, and I "have" to work at them occationally.

They cut slow, and are a PITA to work on.......

Howdy Again SawTroll,

I guess I'm to new at this to know any better. I do see what your saying about being a PITA to work on. Other saws like the pro models you can get to stuff easier. Now if one of your friends bought a new saw and said, you know SawTroll your a good guy take my old 025, I won't need it anymore, would you take it, for free? Just curious.

Have a good one.

v/r

Mike

Hmmmmmmmm, don't know what to tell ya for I know I would have replaced the handle , no questions asked and Stihl would have never said a word. Your dealer is being hardnose, why I don't know...

Back