More Practice today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went out and decided to get more field work in.....books can only get you so far before you have to just start getting out there and doing it. Threw on the ole spikes and reached a new peak. Decided to climb an 80 foot pine. I got up into the crown I would say roughly 60-65 feet up. Man goin up is easy but coming down is tiring. I know once I climb some more I will learn to be more energy efficient with my steps though.

Mike is right about descending using your climb line. Descending on your climb line is a lot safer and on a trimming job you have to use your rope. Just make sure you place the climb line in a strong crotch. I like to pass the climb line over a limb and around the trunk. That way most of the force is pulling against the tree and not just on the limb. You also need to be able to tie your climbing hitch correctly. The Blake’s hitch will be the best for you since you are just starting out (the Blake’s can be tied with one hand). If you use the split tail system, you can tie your hitch on the ground and then simple set and clip the rope in when you make it to the top. However, you do need to practice on those climbers. Your body uses a whole different set of muscles when climbing as opposed to ground work. You need to get your body into shape and then climbing down will not bother you as much. Learn to use your flip line while climbing up or down. That takes a lot of the work out of it for me.

And keep in mind that the lean of the tree needs to be away from you. Your gaffs will cut out. :eek:

Throw line first?

Alright that does sound like a good idea but are you saying that I should place my climbing line in a crotch before gaff ascent? So then I would have the climbing line pre-set in the tree before hand and then when I reached my destination come down on the climbing line? How would I do this while wearing my gaff climbing lanyard as opposed to my climbing saddle or should I just attach my rope snap to my lanyard rings and descend from there? BTW I do have the blakes hitch down...can tie it in my sleep I have done it so many times now. I still need a pully for my fairlead though. I am not familiar on the split tail system yet.

That is not what I was saying Forrest. Tie your split tail to your climbing line before you begin your climb. Once you reach the top, set your rope and descend. Research the split tail climbing system and you will understand what I mean.

Originally posted by o0_TreeMan_0o
Tie your split tail to your climbing line before you begin your climb. Once you reach the top, set your rope and descend.

So your saying to tie my split tail before I gaff ascend? try not to become impatient with me for I am just trying to full understand this. I am speaking of gaff climbing and I wanted to make sure that what you are telling me is something your instructing me to do before gaff climbing. This is what I am seeing from your advice....Set my climbing line in a crotch....tie my climbing system with blakes hitch and then ascend with my gaffs. Once I reach the point desired and do whatever work I need to do....descend upon the climbing line. Is this what you are saying?

If your going to set your line first and Not remove the tree Forget the Gaffs just ascend up the Line. :blob2: Practice Footlocking.

Spiked....
I would recommend getting a lot of climbing practice in, as well as a lot of groundwork with a saw before you think about bringing a saw into the tree with you. You can learn all of the knots you need to know as well as different climbing techniques from "Tree Climbers Companion", but that book doesn't talk much about using a saw in a tree, and the potential dangers of having several hundred pounds of wood swinging around at your same height...nor does it talk about taking your mind off of what you're doing for a second and accidently cutting through your lanyard or climbing line, sending you on a free fall. I would find someone local who knows what they are doing, watch what they do, and try to learn as much as you can that way. There is only a certain amount you can learn on your own, certain things can't be taught online. I did groundwork for 3 months without ever even picking up a saw...you can learn a lot by watching . Good luck, and be safe.

Hey Stone. In previous posts, he has expressed a total and complete unwillingness to do that. He is convinced that he can learn on his own just fine, with only 2 weeks experience grounding for a tree hack in Daytona Beach. If you criticise him, or suggest that he take some time to learn from others in person, he might snap at you.

Job Description...

Dragging brush is not the only part of my job. Yes it is a part of it but I run saws everyday and have become quite nifty with them. I do a lot of palm pruning with my boss' pole saw and I use an 019 to prune the shorties that can be reached from the ground. I understand what you are saying Stoner. My boss has been doing this work for 6 years and he is pretty good and I watch him all the time and try to learn as he does. I do try to practice as often as I can like today when I climbed 60 feet up into that pine.
Oh yeah, unlike what Brian says(he always has to get his digs) I more than welcome criticism in a constructive manner. Stoner your approach to the advice you gave me was more than acceptable and I appreciate your criticism w/o ridicule. I'll never snap at someone for offering their honest advice as long as its approached in the correct manner(because there is a correct and incorrect way to criticize). I am going to keep practicing and of course safety first!

Forrest, Do you have a proper climbing saddle or just a linemans body belt?
What did you end up buying?

Forrest, Do you have a Sherrill cataloge yet? If not, call them up and have one sent. They have great illustrations of different climbing techniques, as well as great prices and customer service.

You need to stay tied in at all times, so if you are spiking up a tree and come to a branch, tie in above the limb with a second rope, before undoing the lower lanyard. There is a picture in The Tree Climber's Companion(page 37). Some guys use a double ended lanyard, other use a splittail on their climbing line. There is a picture in The Tree Climber's Companion(page 53).

Climbing with spikes is only for removals. Those guys who spike up trees they are trimming, are unethical, because they are doing more damage than good. If the customer knew the facts, they would hire a skilled arborist, instead of a hack who has not taken the time to learn to climb by industry standards.

The fair lead doesn't have to be a pulley. A screw link that fits over the rope will work ok too.

Yes Kevin I have a good saddle that Mike Mass sent to me that I am yet to pay him for. Its equivilant to the "Pinnacle" in the Sherrill's Catalog.

Mike I definitely know about the alternate lanyard technique in gaff climbing and use it religiously to stay attached to the tree. I was suggested to use a pulley for my fair lead but I will give that catalog a look and view the illustrations to see whic technique I like best. Thanks again for the saddle and I will send you money soon I promise.

spiked,
are you spiking live trees just for practice??????
why not climb some telephone poles instead?????
budroe:cool:
p.s. hey mike........do you have any equipment that you
can send me and i'll pay you as soon as i can:D
let me know.

Forrest,

You really ought to get yourself on a course at your local agricultural college, with qualified instructors to show you in person safe climbing techniques. You can't learn that over the internet. If you rely on watching people you work with, do you know for a fact that what they do is safe and efficient. Why not think of it as an investment in the business? You've just spent a stack on climbing gear, but anything that furthers your knowledge is worth it as well. If you gain a better idea of how to climb safely and efficiently, the course will pay for itself many times over.

And yes, unless you're taking the tree down completely, the spikes should stay in the kit bag.

Latest posts

Back