More Practice today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no substitute for a mentor.

So, if you have mastered climbing and the whole physical prowess thing, you are helpless if you do not know how different types of wood (compression, tension, species issues, etc) separate from the residual tree. This is best learned by observation and direction from someone watching.

I have seen a great climber (physical prowess/techniques) send a log 15 feet behind him into a roof when the pecan "unexpectedly peeled". A bit of direction goes a long way.

Re: All the signs are there.

Originally posted by TreeCo

Have any of you consider your legal liability when this kid gets hurt or killed? His father is a lawyer.....and your advice is in print on the internet....

So true. I hope he hasn't read those stump jumping threads on the chainsaw forum. In an age where a woman can bake her poodle in a microwave, then sue the makers successfully because they didn't tell her that microwaves cook dogs as well as food, you have to choose your words carefully.

Liability

No one on this site is getting sued wether I break a finger or break my skull. Whatever you say cant and wont be held against you in a court of law(wish that was a miranda right.) If you guys want to stop giving me advice thats fine, I understand. I will learn to climb however wether you guys help or not so it is of no consequence. I will definitely look into trying to get a class on climbing if its not too expensive. If it is expensive I will just have to do a few small jobs and save some money first so I can learn to climb the big jobs.

I appreciate your comment, TreeCo, on saying that you think I could be a master climber with training. I think most people on this site dont think I could climb a tree with LOTS of training. I am eager to learn and the internet is not helping enough as you guys say. I cant SEE examples of what you guys talk about and I cant ask uestions as I go. I will see what I can do about getting lessons.

P.S. Who the hell ever said the pine I climbed was alive?....HACK

Forrest? why do you allow an 80' Dead pine on your Property? Or is that the next Training lesson? :blob2:

I would like to see forest up a dead pine @ 60' with his knees knocking, bark coming off and sticking in his gaffs, and his gaffs cutting out! You grab hold of the pine and a section of bark peels right off and then you have a slick surface for your next grab. He is not fooling anyone. :D

Tired of the presumptions

You guys make so many presumptions its getting old. Anything I do is wrong even if what I do is right it has to be wrong. Lets go over this one more time for your mind, one time. I have 2000 trees in my yard(at least).....kinda hard to have EVERY single dead one removed. The Pine IS dead as it stands a stagnent trunk in the woods with nothin on it but a few brken off branches. How did it die, I dont know, why dont you ask it Budroe?

Quit gettin all defensive, Gump. If ya can't tell how it died by looking at it, you probably shouldn't be climbing it. If you don't know how to look for danger signs, or even WHAT to look for, how do you know it will support your weight?
Just once I wish you could see yourself in our eyes. :(

That was a legit question.
The crown I know means the top of something but in tree terms does the top of a dead tree have what is considered to be a crown, the same as a live tree?

I apoligize Kevin

In a world with nothing but cynical a$$hole questions amongst these members its hard to know when someone is being legit. SO I do apoligize. I believe that if a tree is dead with no leaves it no longer has a crown.

thought you were leaving

you just posted in the other thread you were quitting ArboristSite. Was that a lie? Why are you still here? Don't let the door hit ya! Come back AFTER you spend a little one-on-one time with a climber, and are willing to actually HEAR some of the mountain of good advice already wasted on you

"Go ahead and start cheering, your favorite man to hate is leaving....Heck, any sane person would after a month of this garbage."

And hopefully the INSANE ones, too! BYEBYE!!!

are you ever going to quit?

or do we have to put up with another week of your promises that 'this is my final post'? For once, do something you say you will do, without telling us 20 times!

Latest posts

Back