More Stihl 026 woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, one more dumb question for you guys. So I pulled the decomp valve, because I don't have Pro plastics and I wanted to get the top cover on so that it will cool properly. Finally cut down a 3/8x24tpi bolt (close enough to the weird M10x1.0 to fit, with a copper gasket I had sitting around the shop) so that it closes that hole nicely without fouling the piston.

Went to attach the top cover, and - oops. This cylinder doesn't come with the studs to mount it. My original cylinder has them, but I can't see how to get them out. There isn't enough thread to double nut it, and there isn't enough unthreaded area left to clamp on. What do you recommend?

Thanks again! This has been a real voyage of discovery for me to say the least, and I really appreciate the help everyone here has given me.

OK, one more dumb question for you guys. So I pulled the decomp valve, because I don't have Pro plastics and I wanted to get the top cover on so that it will cool properly. Finally cut down a 3/8x24tpi bolt (close enough to the weird M10x1.0 to fit, with a copper gasket I had sitting around the shop) so that it closes that hole nicely without fouling the piston.

Went to attach the top cover, and - oops. This cylinder doesn't come with the studs to mount it. My original cylinder has them, but I can't see how to get them out. There isn't enough thread to double nut it, and there isn't enough unthreaded area left to clamp on. What do you recommend?

Thanks again! This has been a real voyage of discovery for me to say the least, and I really appreciate the help everyone here has given me.
Wow you got me stumped there is it an aftermarket jug?

Yeah, the jug is Hutzl. The Hutzl rings and Cabers don't seem to interchange, at least on the stuff I have, and I had managed to bust one of the Cabers somehow. Since I had the whole Hutzl setup, I just said "aw, let's see what it does" and put it on the saw. It wasn't until now that I realized the darn thing doesn't have any studs to mount the top plastic.

I need the top plastic to guide airflow over the jug, right?

Yeah, the jug is Hutzl. The Hutzl rings and Cabers don't seem to interchange, at least on the stuff I have, and I had managed to bust one of the Cabers somehow. Since I had the whole Hutzl setup, I just said "aw, let's see what it does" and put it on the saw. It wasn't until now that I realized the darn thing doesn't have any studs to mount the top plastic.

I need the top plastic to guide airflow over the jug, right?
Yeah. Im thinking that they have some changes between oem and aftermarket so may need to but the cover for that unless it does have a casting nub to tap out and put a stud

You should be able to clamp a vise grip into the top of the those studs to break them loose. Then you can usually turn them by hand to remove them. You could use a small die to clean up the threads if they get fouled up. Otherwise these studs should be very inexpensive if you have a good dealer. One will have a rubber cap as a "bumper" that the cover rests upon, the other will be the area that tightens down with the cover nut. The Stihl part number for the stud is 0000-953-0818, and the rubber cap is 1121-084-7100.

Bringing this thread back from the dead for a moment - I was using the saw recently and wanted to thank you guys.

As far as the studs go, I ended up making my own by taking a metric bolt with the same width and thread pitch, then cutting off the end and touching up the threads. Presto: instant Hutzl stud for free. Hutzl, if you're reading this, you guys should add a stud to the kit. And a bolt to block off the decomp valve hole.

I ended up replacing the carb - never could get the original to run right. It worked well when I first got the saw, so I don't blame Stihl or Walbro. Probably I moused it up somehow. One more tuition installment on learning to work on 2 strokes...

With the new carb on, I put in the E0 with 50:1 oil, tuned it, and ... It runs! It revs! It cuts wood! I've put 3.5 tanks through it at this point, cut up about 3 downed trees. It gained power noticeably after the 1st tank. Maybe the rings were seating? Now it feels like it's pretty much back to its old self, good "oomph", starts and revs great. All in all, I have to say I think I got my money's worth out of my little $34 kit. It's not as pretty as the factory stuff, and I don't know whether it will last as long, but it is working so far. Of the stuff in the Hutzl kit, I used the piston, the rings, and the cylinder. I used the decomp valve at first and it worked, but I didn't want to replace my top plastic, so I replaced it with a bolt (cut down so that it wouldn't foul the piston). I didn't try using any of their gaskets, rubber parts, or the spark plug.

Thanks so much, guys. I'm sure it isn't the highlight of your day to help yet another new guy who broke his saw, but I really appreciate how much help you gave me. It's definitely because of that help that I was able to fix the saw. Cheers!

Back