More Stihl 026 woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahah! It's not to my liking, either, believe me. The computer guys apparently have a saying like "the problem is between the chair and keyboard", and I'm sure that's the problem with my 026 too. Thanks to all of you for helping me figure out how to get my 026 back to cutting wood.

Update: checked the ring gap using Pioneerguy600's instructions. It appears to be right around .008, maybe a little less. The .006 feeler passes easily, the .008 one passes with modest resistance.

Got the piston off, now to clean it up with the scotchbrite and reinstall it.

My replacement cylinder from Hutzl (after the 1st one was defective) came today, and I gotta admit it's about 1000% better than the first one they sent me. Unlike the first, it wasn't shrink wrapped but was just set inside a Farmertec bag and box. Got a feeling they hand selected it because in addition to the casting being good, it had no bits of loose metal from the machining process (first one had these little curls of aluminum in various places), and way better chamfering on the ports. If the Mahle cylinder doesn't work out well, I'm curious to see what this one would do.

You might want to look at piston clearance too. But the problem usually shows up at the skirt.

I'd keep the OEM jug and get one of the newer low cost OEM pistons. Check your jug they are marked A or B for P/C clearance, an A/B piston is a compromise that will fit both.

I do have an 036 PRO and an MS 361. Both are really good saws, but weigh a pound or so more. Nowadays that means something to me, but you make a very good point.

Unless really small stuff I'll take an extra pound and 10cc bigger motor. The other thought is a 20" bar on the 036 does not make me bend over as much as the 16" on the 026.

And, an update.

So when I put the Cabers in to test the gap, the gap looked great. I set them down, worked on something else, then looked down and found that my 2 piece set of rings had somehow become a 3 piece set of rings. Umm... That ain't right... I swear, if there's a way to break this saw, I will find it.

A new set of Cabers takes a week to get here from Greece. I want this thing cutting wood ASAP. And so I looked back onto the workbench, where my shiny new China piston and cylinder were still sitting. Hmm. More to the point, I'm not sure I got whatever problem killed it *last* time licked, and of the Mahle jug or the Hutzl jug, you can guess which one I'd rather sacrifice.

So I got myself talked into it, and last night "Operation Chinadoll" was completed. Today I went out to the gas station with the ethanol-free 89 octane and made a gallon of fresh 50:1 mix. Fired it up, adjusted the carb, and ... Interesting. It idles wonderfully, but will hardly rev at all. It doesn't stumble, it doesn't stall, it just idles a little higher when you pull the trigger. I'm guessing this means I moused up the carb when I rebuilt it? It's a WT194, if that helps. I did blow out every little passage I could find with a generous quantity of Toyota carb cleaner in a spray can. Or is that the problem, and there was a passage or two that I shouldn't have treated like that?

Yeah, that's my thought too. Pulling the carb apart now. Just in case it was a spark issue, I reset the gap on the ignition with a piece of card but it didn't change anything.

Magnifying glass would be a great trick, but the piece of ring I broke off was big enough that I didn't need it. I'm becoming a real expert in breaking this poor saw.

I think you've got a gasket/diaphragm in the wrong order perhaps.

More than one of those wt194 carbs were bad from the factory. They wont tune, they scream and then they go rich and blubber. Drive you crazy and nothing short of a new carb will fix them. If its going lean on the tune, that could be what happened your piston.

I think you've got a gasket/diaphragm in the wrong order perhaps.

More than one of those wt194 carbs were bad from the factory. They wont tune, they scream and then they go rich and blubber. Drive you crazy and nothing short of a new carb will fix them. If its going lean on the tune, that could be what happened your piston.

I will say the carb seemed to work well for the first year I had the saw. Idled OK, plenty of power, cut well. As far as the gaskets and diaphragms, they're in the order that I found on other postings on AS. On the pump side, it's main body, diaphragm, gasket, cover. On the metering side, it's main body, gasket, diaphragm, cover.

Hmm, one other clue I forgot to mention. After rebuilding the saw, I noticed that the oiler does a lot more than it used to. It seems like it's working overtime. I don't think this is the adjustable oiler, which makes me kinda curious why it's putting out so much more oil than it had. I wonder if that has to do with my problems here?

Just pulled the muffler. Cylinder looks OK for the most part, although there's starting to be a bit of scratching. I'm new to 2 strokes and kinda pulling my hair out. I will gladly order a carb if that seems likely to fix it, although I'm really starting to get exasperated (sp?) with this project. I'm used to working on car engines, so I'm not entirely new to mechanical stuff, but this is the first time I've ever messed with a 2 stroke and it feels like it's entirely different.

OK, time for another update.

Roll Tide, I tried your tip but it seems to be working fine.

I ended up ordering a new WT-194-1. It feels different from my old one (like there's a bit of resistance when I turn the adjustment screws, and I can't rotate the barb fitting that accepts the fuel hose) but it still idles, won't rev, and dies.

It feels to me like it's not getting fuel. But why should it fail to get fuel? The fuel line is new, the fuel filter looks good (I even briefly tried using it with no filter just to be sure this wasn't the problem - no change), nothing looks crimped.

Video of what's happening, as bikemike suggested:

Thanks in advance!

Sounds a lot like when the chain brake is applied.
Very possible. Easy to miss in the midst of handling/testing. How did you tune the carb? If it is starving for fuel there is a reason.
Where is the H needle? (The carb may need to be tweaked)

Latest posts

Back