More than just a Mac BP-1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozflea

Good ol' BP Zoom 25-1
Reaction score
I see that a few have expressed interest in the Mac BP-1.

Did you know they made other engines that shared the same technology as the BP-1. Built to power snowmobiles i don't think they ever got into serious production but here's a pic i had sent to me anyway.

It shows a single and a twin cylinder engine can anyone enlighten me more as to their fate ??

Mc Bob.

pic066.jpg

I've sometimes wondered, McBob, if there might not be a back-water storage warehouse somewhere around Los Angeles or Lake Havasu City, with a bunch of McCulloch's factory stuff stored away in it with 10-40 years dust accumulated on it. Considering all the different things Mac made.... from target drones to boat motors to all the different attachments for chainsaws, as well as the saws.... and maybe some r&d ideas which never made it into production.... I wonder where all that stuff went when Mac sold out to the Taiwanese.... Sure hope it all didn't end up in the hold of a cargo ship headed to Japan for melt-down as scrap.....

Yes it does make one wonder, The BP-1 was years ahead of the competition in saws and it's a pity that this model was catailed so soon i think from memory the BP-1 WAS ONLY ABOUT THE 40CC MARK but the balance piston added a fair bit to the performance side and thats what Mac worried about with the saw over revvin should it develop an air leak somewhere and breaking apart and some one getting hurt i believe.

Mc Bob.

for oz flea

mac did indeed power snow sleds over hear but they din't make it big in the 60's and 70's everyonegot into sled. The olso powered thos ultralight aircraft but i think people adapted the engines for it mac and others realy din't. Most large companies have a test and develpment dept (i worked for one) and 90% of the stuff never makes it. Now in any product offered there is one test it must pass CONSUMER PERCEPTION. JOHN DEERE AND ITS ODD 2 CYLINDER DID JUST THAT. INDIAN MOTORCYLE AND ITS RADIACAL 1940-53 STYLING. So did corvette in 1953 There is many other designs that would work but they failed that test. Test #2 is production cost (a 2cylinder saw) vice a single cylinder saw we all know where that has gone since the 1970's just my 2 cents worth adjusted for inflation about 50 cents!!:buttkick: :rock:

ozflea said:
I see that a few have expressed interest in the Mac BP-1.

Did you know they made other engines that shared the same technology as the BP-1. Built to power snowmobiles i don't think they ever got into serious production but here's a pic i had sent to me anyway.

It shows a single and a twin cylinder engine can anyone enlighten me more as to their fate ??

Mc Bob.

pic066.jpg

I would bet that someone has a few of these Mac products stashed away somewhere. It would be quite sad to hear of so many interesting machines being melted down into japanese steel.

I have seen a few pics of McC snowmobiles. They were built by the Fox company in Janesville WI. Same sled a s a FoxTrack. The one I saw had either a Sachs or JLO engine, but I did hear the BP engine was used in some.
Scott

Back