More wood haulers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MO-Iron

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thought I would attempt to post a test picture on the new AS format.
Pictured is my preferred method of getting firewood to the house from the farm fields. The hydraulic dump wagons are 8ft X 14ft with 2 X 12 side boards. The wagons also make great brush movers when cleaning up the hay fields.View attachment 170996

MO-Iron

Thought I would attempt to post a test picture on the new AS format.
Pictured is my preferred method of getting firewood to the house from the farm fields. The hydraulic dump wagons are 8ft X 14ft with 2 X 12 side boards. The wagons also make great brush movers when cleaning up the hay fields.View attachment 170996

MO-Iron

You got a one way cylinder under it? We got one very similar. Nice to be able to just dump it. Only problem is not everybody can back a tongued wagon... It's a little more than a 10 year old can wrap his head around.:laugh:

are 4 wheelers and such tow rated? I've wondered about the towing abilities but know nothing about them.

They are, and I poked fun at Guido, but he IS correct in the fact that a wagon load of wood is WAY over the rated specs for a 4-wheeler. That being said, all the big utility ATV's are rated for towing and carrying capacity.

I just bought a used Polaris Ranger utv(side by side) and it has a 2 inch receiver hitch on rear and I believe the tow capacity is 1500 lbs. Haven't towed anything yet as I've only had it 2 wks, but it doesn't have any problems with a fully loaded bed of oak firewood rounded up which is 5x3 ft. Really likin it so far in this ice and sleet we've had.

Towing it's one thing .... stopping it's another.

I had a buddy of mine tear the hell out of a Arctic Cat 700 with an empty 18' car trailer on a very slight grade , the trailer weighed a whole lot less than a hay wagon full of wood.

I would have to dig the book out on my Kodiak 400, but I think it is rated to pull 1000 pounds. I have used a small trailer behind it in the past to move wood, but now it just sits. I think that in the 17 years I have owned it I have put more batteries in it than tanks of gas...

I would have to dig the book out on my Kodiak 400, but I think it is rated to pull 1000 pounds. I have used a small trailer behind it in the past to move wood, but now it just sits. I think that in the 17 years I have owned it I have put more batteries in it than tanks of gas...

:ices_rofl:

Thought that I had better come clean. Salvage has it right! That 4-wheeler would no more pull that loaded wagon than I will get to command the next space shuttle mission. I was riding by the wagon and the idea came to mind to have a little fun with the Safety Police. The angle of the picture makes that load look way smaller than it is (1 and 1/2 cord). This picture shows how the game is really played on our place.View attachment 171097

I need someone to pm me a lesson on embedding pictures in a post.

MO-Iron

take the address of where your photo is, in this case:

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachm...ipment/171097d1296881432-mikes-004-medium-jpg

Just before the link address use square brackets with the letters img in the middle. [this style]

At the end you want /img with the square brackets around it.

Or you can just use the little picture icon in the editing software.

170996d1296794225-mikes-002-medium-jpg

171097d1296881432-mikes-004-medium-jpg

Thought that I had better come clean. Salvage has it right! That 4-wheeler would no more pull that loaded wagon than I will get to command the next space shuttle mission. I was riding by the wagon and the idea came to mind to have a little fun with the Safety Police. The angle of the picture makes that load look way smaller than it is (1 and 1/2 cord). This picture shows how the game is really played on our place.View attachment 171097

I need someone to pm me a lesson on embedding pictures in a post.

MO-Iron

Hey Mo!!! You need some either for that Allis today???:hmm3grin2orange:

Hi Hedgerow! I'm more of a plug'm in kind of a guy. If electricity isn't available, that tractor has the either assist button on the dash.

It was ask what type of lift the wagon has. It's a scissor lift with a single one way cylinder. The hydraulic hose is stored in the pvc pipe mounted on the front of the wagon box. The wagon will easily dump a two cord load.

Backing a wagon isn't bad if you are using a tractor so that you can watch the tongue. Power steering is also a big help. I admit that trying to back a wagon with a pickup truck can really tee you off at times.

The one caution that I would emphasize with a wagon is to remember that regardless of the load, there is no tongue weight. Use a big enough horse to handle the pounds. I watched one of our neighbors take a wild ride backwards off of a hill when his 8n ford decided to spin-out.

MO-Iron

Cool Mo-Iron

Is it on a regular running gear? I got one last year and just got fixing it up. I still have to get stake pockets on it and side racks. Its a old IH gear but it has what looks like a truck frame under it. But thats the way it was factory built.

148717_1369574454362_1681757389_703110_6770459_n.jpg

36786_1256022535635_1681757389_486776_6609032_n.jpg

Billy

Cool Mo-Iron

Is it on a regular running gear? I got one last year and just got fixing it up. I still have to get stake pockets on it and side racks. Its a old IH gear but it has what looks like a truck frame under it. But thats the way it was factory built.

148717_1369574454362_1681757389_703110_6770459_n.jpg

36786_1256022535635_1681757389_486776_6609032_n.jpg

Billy

Alloy rims? Nice! Never seen those on a wagon before!:clap:

Back