moss on tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will burn fine. Iv burnt wood with moss before no issues.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

As long as it isn't sprouting shrooms or other fungi, moss is fibe.
Is there a problem with burning fungi? I'd never burned any fungi until this year. A lot of my cherry was covered with the stuff. I burned some of it but it turned out that the wood itself was too punky to burn. It went on my compost pile.

Is there a problem with burning fungi? I'd never burned any fungi until this year. A lot of my cherry was covered with the stuff. I burned some of it but it turned out that the wood itself was too punky to burn. It went on my compost pile.
Not at all, fungi will burn fine. To clarify if you have trees that have fungi aka "fairy seats", "dwarf seats", "ears", "knobs" etc that means at least part of the tree is rotten. Or when wood lays on the ground those little orange mushrooms sprout from it.

Not at all, fungi will burn fine. To clarify if you have trees that have fungi aka "fairy seats", "dwarf seats", "ears", "knobs" etc that means at least part of the tree is rotten. Or when wood lays on the ground those little orange mushrooms sprout from it.
Good to know. Thanks.

I have never found wood that was too punky to burn- at least in my owb. Does it put out much heat? Heck no but I get rid of it. You just have to keep it out of the rain when it's punky or it acts like a sponge. I pretty much only burn the garbage I can't sell.

Like and agree.If you find a tree like this in the woods, cut it down and leave it or just leave it standing.The woodpeckers will go to work on it.

Moss and mushrooms will die once the tree starts to dry. A lot of the maples by me have moss on them, just the right amount of moisture and lack of light. It gets split and stacked, and when you go to burn it, itll either have fallen off or dried out. Heck, last night i threw in a chunk with mushrooms on it still. They burned up and went about its business.

Back