MOST CARBON EVER!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Working on a friends XL-1 that he got for a song, saw is like new with the original bar, 2 new chains, a Homelite case and the original Homelite 2-stroke oil! A little jealous, he's going to make it into the "you suck" thread. Anyway, he couldn't get it running, so gave it to me for a going over. I managed to start it, (tons of compression, no release) but my first reaction on hearing it running was- WHAAAAAAAAT!!! I could barely hear it run and i could not get it over idle speed. The light came on in my head and I pulled the muffler to find this------DSCF4111 (Large).jpg DSCF4109 (Large).jpg

The muffler was almost completely blocked, just a few pin holes for the exhaust gas to pass through. This is what happens when someone owns a saw and knows nothing about tuning and oil mixtures. Bad for him, good for my friend.

That's not the most carbon ever, not even close. I have seen them with the exhaust port itself completely plugged off.

Thing is on the older saws like that, they ended up like that or worse just following the owners manual's instructions. Using non detergent motor oil at 16-1 etc didn't take long for carbon to form. The manuals also gave time tables for cleaning carbon from mufflers and exhaust ports because if it.

Like Carl said, outboard 2 stroke oil will do this really bad also.

That looks pretty typical, propane torch and a scraper. One of the Homelite dealers I met used to just swap out mufflers so the customers did not have wait for them to be cleaned, had a box of clean used mufflers ready to go for the typical model offenders. New mufflers were not horrible money and lots of folks went that way as well. Whenever I purchased lots of new old stock parts there were typically lots of mufflers or just baffles and screens. Trimmers of the era were worse. The IDC/Ryobi mufflers would sustain a flame like a candle. Echo mufflers, and the fuzzy covers. Spendy.

Tanaka, could have just made the mufflers out of carbon and saved time.

Any saw that used crankcase pressure to motivate the bar lube will eventually get caked over if the operator is not good with maintance. Nature of the beast.

That's not the most carbon ever, not even close. I have seen them with the exhaust port itself completely plugged off.

I would think the muffler would plug up long before the exhaust port would, unless it had no muffler to speak of. There is a fair amount of exaggeration on this forum sometimes, so you can understand my doubt, and wanting to see pictures. Statements without proof are, after all, just hearsay.

How someone could actually use the saw in the state the Homelite was in is a mystery, I could not even get it to rev high enough to engage the clutch.

For cleaning, the propane torch method works well, it's what I used.

Latest posts

Back