Most Dangerous Tool........Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carried a lot of wood to a splitter like the one the old-timer is running in post #63 above. It was built on a steel rear tractor wheel and the one in the video probably was too. I don't think it ran as fast as any in the videos. The one in post 11 is way to fast for me.

I would say chainsaw also for reasons others mentioned above as in Howie Homeowner goes to the store to buy a saw cuz I got a fireplace and wouldn't Christmas be just festive if we built a fire in it? Then proceeds to the woods for firewood with no clue of how many potential ways there are to kill himself by doing just that. I understand a lot of other hobbies or whatnot have those potentials too, but the thought of somebody doing that also scares the hell outta me with possibilities

A saw is dangerous and that goes without saying. But most of the fatalities in logging do not involve saws directly. There are a lot of fatalities from being hit or crushed by timber and from machinery accidents.

Here's a good example. WorkSafeBC has other videos of woods fatalities.

Better Yet..

Those gave me chills! :cold:

Around my area screw splitters have become extremely popular.
Something like these:

Watching the third clip I was waiting for the dudes jacket to be cought by the screw.

Most dangerous tool?
The ones You have no idea how to operate safely!

I've seen that video before Gologit, but it is always worth seeing again. I did have to take down a few Oaks with rotten bottoms on a rocky slope with no escape routes earlier this year. I studied them a lot to try and ensure they fell where I wanted them to. Luckily, all went well, but I would be lying if I told you it did not make me nervous.

At the location I scrounged some wood from yesterday, the homeowner had dropped a 40" Red Oak with a homeowner saw with an 18" bar, generally by cutting all around the circumference and getting it to fall, having no idea what direction it would go. I know the guy, and told him to never do that again, and call me so he does not kill himself. As a result, I will now take down a White Oak, Cheery and Hickory, with payment being I get the wood. I also get the wood from that massive Red Oak he dropped. It still needs to be cut up.

only in the hands of criminals, Which is a lot less common than the media like to make you think.

"for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention). 1.3% of all deaths in the country were related to firearms.[1][6]"
guns are the tool of choice for a lot criminals & it wouldnt be so bad if they only used them on other criminals.

"Abstract
Each year over 3 million new chainsaws are sold in the United States. The operation of these newer saws combined with the millions of older chainsaws in circulation results in over 28,000 chainsaw-related injures annually."
thansgst

Look up a " Powder Wedge " on a web search grandpa used one a few years ago splitting some big wood and almost cost him his life.

I thought guns in your country would be the most dangerous tool.
Tarski

The term "dangerous" implies a likelihood of unintentional injury that presents challenges as far as prevention is concerned.

By both the nature and design of firearms, it is almost impossible to be injured by one, without having pointed it at something that can be injured. Absent the intent to cause damage or a willful choice to act "dangerously", about the most serious injury you can receive from a firearm is a pinched web between your thumb and forefinger.

Of the 33,000 people you mentioned as having been injured by firearms, well over 99.95% of them had a gun WILLFULLY pointed at them, either by themselves or someone else. A conscious choice to cause damage, or to accept the possibility of its occurrence, was made. Why that choice was made, is a conversation for somewhere else at another time. True accidents resulting from guns are, statistically, nonexistent.

Conversely, chainsaws are (relatively) highly likely to cause serious injury when the typical operator has made a good-faith effort to be safe. Most operators, myself certainly included, stand a good chance of being injured while having the intent to cut wood, and to do it safely. In contrast to a gun, pointing a chainsaw at what you want it to destroy is by far not the only factor involved in being safe. Also unlike guns, using a chainsaw may not in itself cause injury, but is also likely to cause injury by means of creating yet another dangerous situation; for example, by placing the operator beneath a now-unsupported 60,000-pound chunk of wood that will eventually fall at a time, and in a direction, that no one can know with 100% certainty.

By both the nature and design of firearms, it is almost impossible to be injured by one, without having pointed it at something that can be injured. . . .True accidents resulting from guns are, statistically, nonexistent..
Not the place for a gun debate. But lots of people are unintentionally injured by firearms. This includes defective firearms, defective loads, and people who are using them without proper training. I have heard of people injured by 'blow-by' from a revolver, for example, due to improper hand placement, and all types of eye injuries.

Then there are all of the 'accidental' shootings. This includes people shooting themselves while cleaning, bolstering, or 'practicing' with their gun; guns that fire when dropped; kids playing with loaded guns; and even the periodic hunting dog that shoots its owner.

These are in the news on a regular basis. You might hear more about this if Congress had not prohibited the CDC from gun violence and injury research.

This is not to say that firearms cannot be used safely, but saying that accidental firearm injuries are 'statistically, nonexistent' is just wrong.

Philbert

Some years in NY we go an entire hunting season w/o any firearm related deaths. Try comparing that statistic to driving to the mall at night!

Any no one gives the NRA any credit for the fact that all NY hunters have to take their hunter safety program. Hey, maybe we can get the NRA to teach driving!

Speaking off the radial saw, my shop teacher in grade school WAS missing half of his middle finger, just like in the movies.
Did you go to lowell high. Ours lost his showing the kids "what not to do":dumb:.
He has more wins as a wrestling coach than many, but just trust me I won't do what he does in a shop class:crazy2:.

I work on a farm often(half our estate is farmland), and I use chainsaws very often. It is amazing how dangerous it is to work with a tractor when you have to do something other than drive it. And even then, that gets hairy on occasion.

Logging and farming especially. Its easy to sit on the computer and judge people in hindsight for certain situations. Farming can be soul crushing, hard work guarantees you nothing and you cant stop. The cows have to fed and milked no matter what. It doesnt matter what the weather or temp outside is either. Fighting with the barn cleaner and manure spreader when is zero out with 2 feet of snow on the ground is quite an experience. You work 12+ hrs, never get enough sleep, cant take a sick day and the volatility of the milk market makes it hard to budget and plan ahead. And while all this is going you are working yourself to death. You have to be an agronomist, vet, carpenter and mechanic. All so well fed yuppies can call you ignorant and a redneck and cry animal abuse while you are literally giving the clothes on your back and shoes on your feet because the animals are your livelihood. Ive watched my dad do dangerous things and cob job worn equipment because there was no other choice. Farm equipment is scary up close, take a good look next time your are the fair. Now he has back, knee problems and needs carpel tunnel surgery in both hands but cant stop long enough to get surgery. And this is after the cows are gone. It scares me to death when he goes out in the wood or field alone now.

Latest posts

Back