Most Huskee Log Splitter Toe Plates Are...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
too small.

I looked over several today at TSC stores. Only the big 35-ton splitter had a toe plate big enough for the big logs that I bring in:
2153605.jpg

The rest seemed way too narrow and did not extend far enough beyond the I-beam. Seems like they all should be at least as big as this one pictured. Just MHO. :(

What's your opinion? Mark, is your toe plate still bent?

Last edited:
I have the old model 35 ton and my toe plate is solid steel. Not honeycombed. I don't know why they would get away from something that works.
I can tell you exactly why. Speeco told me that piece is imported. And the bent ones were defected. Go figure! Everybodies trying to save every last penny they can. Can't imagine its worth importing a cast piece vs a making a solid one in house.
As for the plate size. Me and Earl have discussed that many times. We figure its got to be small enough to handle the force and any larger than the wedge wouldn't be of much benefit. For about a yr now I've found that the large pieces aren't worth rassling around. I saw them into manageable sizes with my saw. Now the end plate size is no problem.

... As for the plate size. Me and Earl have discussed that many times. We figure its got to be small enough to handle the force and any larger than the wedge wouldn't be of much benefit. For about a yr now I've found that the large pieces aren't worth rassling around. I saw them into manageable sizes with my saw. Now the end plate size is no problem.
BUT, on occasion, I run into a big log that is not a perfect cylinder with the top parallel to the bottom. Even if the top and bottom of the log are parallel, the sides can slant like mad. That's the real world. Then it becomes very difficult to get the bottom flat right on top of the toe plate, especially if that toe plate is so little. So forget it, you can't split that billet regardless of how much splitting tonnage you have available.

Our rule is that we always try to use the hydraulic power of the splitter if at all possible rather than waste time, gas, and chain teeth sawing big hardwood logs in half. A big toe plate helps make this strategy work. A small one would kill it.

Last edited:
I happened to look at the 35 ton this last weekend at TSC, and was surprised to see that the cycle time is 18 seconds. Seems a tad slow for a splitter that is almost 2 grand. Or is it just me?

my 35 ton runs aprox. 16 seconds or very slow...

that seems to be the main difference between high end $$$$ splitters like Timberwolf, iron & oak, etc. they've got faster cycle times... usually aprox. 8-10 sec. this is done with either a smaller hyd cyl and/or a higher flow pump.

35ton speeco comes with a 16 gpm pump, 5in cyl and 12.5hp. which could easily drive a 22 gpm pump to cut down cycle times. but all hoses has to be matched to flow too.

not doing production work... so 16 sec cycle times is fine. one could always downsize to a 4in cylinder. cycles times would be around 8-10 seconds. much cheaper...and tempting to do... as 4in cyl would still give plenty of power. so far the 5in cyl has been an overkill.

caught mine on sale for $1650... absolutely the best bang for the $$$ spent.
it's been dead reliable...

I happened to look at the 35 ton this last weekend at TSC, and was surprised to see that the cycle time is 18 seconds. Seems a tad slow for a splitter that is almost 2 grand. Or is it just me?

Last edited:
BUT, on occasion, I run into a big log that is not a perfect cylinder with the top parallel to the bottom. Even if the top and bottom of the log are parallel, the sides can slant like mad. That's the real world. Then it becomes very difficult to get the bottom flat right on top of the toe plate, especially if that toe plate is so little. So forget it, you can't split that billet regardless of how much splitting tonnage you have available.

Our rule is that we always try to use the hydraulic power of the splitter if at all possible rather than waste time, gas, and chain teeth sawing big hardwood logs in half. A big toe plate helps make this strategy work. A small one would kill it.

I do run into the problem that you're talking about but I'm usually able to reposition my log where it will split.

I can tell you exactly why. Speeco told me that piece is imported. And the bent ones were defected. Go figure! Everybodies trying to save every last penny they can. Can't imagine its worth importing a cast piece vs a making a solid one in house.
As for the plate size. Me and Earl have discussed that many times. We figure its got to be small enough to handle the force and any larger than the wedge wouldn't be of much benefit. For about a yr now I've found that the large pieces aren't worth rassling around. I saw them into manageable sizes with my saw. Now the end plate size is no problem.

That isn't the only piece that is imported. Have you found Chinese newspaper inside the tank? I have.

I don't think there is a piece on those splitters that is American made. Maybe the hoses.

That isn't the only piece that is imported. Have you found Chinese newspaper inside the tank? I have.

I don't think there is a piece on those splitters that is American made. Maybe the hoses.
That really hurts. Why can't we, as a nation, manufacture a line of powered log splitters that work? Instead, we are expected to tinker with parts and assemble our own equipment from scratch? And, the only alternative is to buy stuff shipped in from the Orient and hope for the best?

Ridiculous!:buttkick:

Mine says made in the USA on it but it's several years old though. It has a solid steeltoe plate on it. Maybe it just means assembled in the USA.

Mine says made in the USA on it but it's several years old though. It has a solid steeltoe plate on it. Maybe it just means assembled in the USA.

Assembled in the USA by me. The older ones could have been made in the US. The hundreds I assembled from 2002 to 2006 were completely or substantially made in China.

you can bet all the heavy steel parts are imported.... that's why steel scrap is at an all time high. china buys all the scrap steel, then sells it back to us in a finished form.

pretty sure the engine, haldex pump, controls, hoses, etc are made in the USA.

you can bet all the heavy steel parts are imported.... that's why steel scrap is at an all time high. china buys all the scrap steel, then sells it back to us in a finished form.

pretty sure the engine, haldex pump, controls, hoses, etc are made in the USA.

Valves are chinese, as are all the fittings. I am not sure about the Briggs engine though.

I have nothing bad to say about the Huskee splitters except the high amount of Chinese parts.

Valves are chinese, as are all the fittings. I am not sure about the Briggs engine though.

I have nothing bad to say about the Huskee splitters except the high amount of Chinese parts.
I have an idea. I'll buy one of the tiny toe plate models with about a 20-ton capacity. Then, I'll go down to the local welding company in town and ask the owner to weld on top of that tiny toe plate a decent big, strong toe plate for about $150, or whatever they charge (and thus void the warranty).

So, then I will have a decent log splitter that works with my big billets. It might shorten the maximum log length an inch, but I can live with that. Now I'll have a Chinese-American hybrid machine that works. Seem OK? :monkey:

Splitter Hybrid

That basically what I did. I took their beam and wedge assembly and hot rodded it. BTW I sent a series of pics twice this year to Speeco to show them a unit that I think could be a hot seller. Have never heard a word.
307300483.jpg

cooool... what's the cycle times?

I've spoken to to Speeco engineers several times... they are very knowledgeable and well aware of what can be done with higher volume pumps, etc. Very_nice folks.. most importantly very_helpful!

they are constrained by costs... and have to meet certain price points.

That basically what I did. I took their beam and wedge assembly and hot rodded it. BTW I sent a series of pics twice this year to Speeco to show them a unit that I think could be a hot seller. Have never heard a word.

what's the cycle times?
With fully warmed oil about 6secs.
they are very knowledgeable and well aware of what can be done with higher volume pumps, etc.
well then why the heck don't they speed them up? Don't they know every body likes speed?

I don't have any idea what their profit magins are but I've got right about $1500.00 in that one and that includes first buying the Speeco 3pt model for $500.00. Fab work on the tank and frame, purchase of the prince pump and fittings and hoses the other thousand. When you factor the price of any of their models and I paid full retail and labor for all aspects of that project I would think they could build a similar unit in volume for around 1000-1200dollars. I told them to get rid of the stand and save money on that aspect of their 3pt model. Any tractor worth hooking to doesn't need a stand. Besides those legs will just catch the ground or debris when you move it around and you loose flexibility. And put a receiver on it and everything they make. I eventually want to make a seat that will plug into the receiver so the help can sit down while working hard on the lever. Mainly I use it for towing trailers and wagons to the field and even for pulling out logs when needed.

Last edited:
BTW I sent a series of pics twice this year to Speeco to show them a unit that I think could be a hot seller. Have never heard a word.

A lot of companies are afraid of outside suggestions. The big company I worked for made sure such suggestions were kept isolated fromg engineering. Why? Because if they are working on something similar, they are afraid of a lawsuit demanding royalties.

well then why the heck don't they speed them up? Don't they know every body likes speed?

Not all of use are speed demons. As we age, a slow cycle time keeps the pace reasonable for us ;-)

Ken

Latest posts

Back