most popular sized saw sold in the US

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
ok, I tried to do a search, but haven't come up with much in the ways of maufacturer sales in the US.

I was trying to find what is the most common/popular sized saw across the board in America.

All I came up with was stihl #1 saw was the Ms290. A good 50cc class saw.

Anyone know what the national average (cc wise) of saws sold?

How big is a Wild Thing?

If you want sheer numbers, between 40-50ccs you will proably get the most saws sold. Maybe 35-45ccs is better. 35-50, you have probably taken out 90% of the total saw market or more. Take the "homeowners" out of the market, and watch that number drop, and the 50-60cc class saws take over. In the vast majority of the country, you can do almost everything with a saw in that class. I did before I started milling.

Mark

As a guess, I would say the wildthing or a Poulan Pro, would be the best selling saw. Due to WalMart and the box stores. I would say 45-55cc, just like Cut says.
Andy

oldsaw said:
and the 50-60cc class saws take over. In the vast majority of the country, you can do almost everything with a saw in that class. I did before I started milling.

Mark

Thank you. that's what I am trying to get at. Some members here think homeowners need 80+cc saws for firewood. I would be scared to see every homeowner that has a wild thing or wood shark get a 372, 7900, 460 etc.

Sure is making the 346xp, 260, and 5100 look really good at this point, eh?

Cut4fun said:
Wild things are 40cc and 42cc.

HUH!!! I tought they were 45, and the bigger one was 50, what size is the large one that just came out? Sorry Doc, curious here, don't mean to hijack this thread.
Andy

The yellow pro saws were 38cc,40cc,42cc,45cc, and 46 cc. Never seen a NEW green one over 42cc. The 330 is 54cc and the only good poulan saw being sold still. This comes from a poulan saw person. I have a green 60cc poulan badboy, thats is a great stock saw for the homeowner like me. It will walk all over the stihl homeowner versions in that size. Bring them on, it will out cut them , live with it and that is with a scored cylinder and piston. LOL

http://www.poulanpro.com/poulanpro/...estedPage=1&&pagingMode=paged&&isRefresh=true

Last edited:
most popular brand or model?

i found this website...

http://www.stihlusa.com/events_chisholm.html

It says that stihl is the most popular selling saw in the world...and it introduces an amazing guy who really should be in this forum if not already....if he is...i hope you don't mind me putting this up....take a look and see....

according to the stihl website, their most popular selling saw is the MS290 Farmboss....so with my detective work...this must be the most popular selling saw!!!! haha!

STIHLSamantha said:
according to the stihl website, their most popular selling saw is the MS290 Farmboss....so with my detective work...this must be the most popular selling saw!!!! haha!

They are darned popular saws, that's for sure. A heck of a step up from the WildThings, WoodSharks, and Craftsman 28cc/20" combos that are incredibly popular.

STIHLSamantha said:
i found this website...

http://www.stihlusa.com/events_chisholm.html

It says that stihl is the most popular selling saw in the world...and it introduces an amazing guy who really should be in this forum if not already....if he is...i hope you don't mind me putting this up....take a look and see....

I'll only believe this if it see it on a Husky Website:monkey: :biggrinbounce2:

Poulan Bad Boy and the Super 380 went away a couple years ago, 330 Poulan Pro and the 3450? Poulan is pretty well gone from dealers/stores also. 295 is the biggest available new through normal channels now as far as I know.
Most popular saw size around here is 50 to 55cc

Marco, 330's still here for $279 with 22" b+c at the store in town, no more 295's though. Some new looking thing 4620 with quick tool less adjust and real cheap plastic feel.

Chain Saw PP4620AVX
1 Year Warranty
20" steel bar
46cc 2-Cycle Gas Chain Saw
Anti-Vibe Handle
Automatic Chain Oiler
Super clean air filter system
Tool-less Chain Tightening System

Marco said:
Some must have been caught in the chute and finally broke loose
Naw, small town and have been there everytime I go there for last few years in boxes and 1 on display.

MS 290 most popular? It proves crowds are a sucker for a good price. Wait a minute I OWN a 290, oops, fell for it too.

:( :(

I have to believe that it is the 026, 260. But purely a gut hunch from an amatuer:hmm3grin2orange:

popularity

I am willing to bet the 290. Keeps a whole lot of weekend warriors happy, and takes very little maintenance. Laugh at Stihl, but they saw a market segment and went after it.

stihltech said:
I am willing to bet the 290. Keeps a whole lot of weekend warriors happy, and takes very little maintenance. Laugh at Stihl, but they saw a market segment and went after it.

Nope, wont laugh at Stihl, good saw for it's intended market, homeowners, ask more, and you will regret it. It was great marketing!
Andy

Back