Most powerful sub 40cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Hogden

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Gday lads.
Whats the consensus on the most powerful sub 40cc saw that you can buy new now days?
I love the smaller stuff,
I have a Shindaiwa, 352s and a Shindaiwa 377.

Also interested...

I think a ported Echo 390esx would be a strong contender if we are holding firm to the 40cc ceiling. The other modern Echos seem to have a fair amount of room for growth when put under the grinder, so I’d expect the 390 would, too. Shame they don’t sell them in the US, though you can ship them in.

Also interested...

I think a ported Echo 390esx would be a strong contender if we are holding firm to the 40cc ceiling. The other modern Echos seem to have a fair amount of room for growth when put under the grinder, so I’d expect the 390 would, too. Shame they don’t sell them in the US, though you can ship them in.
Yeah i have looked at those, but on paper the Shindaiwa 377 has the same power but is 300grams lighter.
I have the 501SX and it is amazing mate

They were reverse engineered rear handle saws, based on a top handle design. Always wanted one of those, for no real good reason. Oh maybe because they would cut circles around any other 35cc out there....

My little 201tc-m has the timing advanced and muffler opened up so may not really fit here ,but it really screams and pulls hard even with a 16 bar buried..I never would have dreamed 35cc could do what I've asked of this saw. I have felled and bucked 20"+ trees quite a bit, just for giggles and having other guys onsite scratch their heads. It'll plunge cut like butter.

Attachments

• 16200148259325563471359253482128.jpg
    16200148259325563471359253482128.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 21
Check out the Echo 361P (362WES in Europe). A pound lighter than your Shindaiwa 352S. Like the Stihl 200/201 rear-handled they were derived from a top handled saw, so nice and compact. Some who've compared them say they're very close in power to the 200/201 at half the price. Echo dropped the list price on them $50 this year in the US, not sure what they run in your part of the planet.

Check out the Echo 361P (362WES in Europe). A pound lighter than your Shindaiwa 352S. Like the Stihl 200/201 rear-handled they were derived from a top handled saw, so nice and compact. Some who've compared them say they're very close in power to the 200/201 at half the price. Echo dropped the list price on them $50 this year in the US, not sure what they run in your part of the planet.
Cheers mate

Well i have checked out the specs on all of the major brands,
Stihl,
Husqvarna,
Echo/Shindaiwa,
Redmax,
Oleomac,
Dolmar/ Makita.
And to my surprise, no one in the Sub 40cc market has anything currently available that has the power to weight of my Shindaiwa 377
Power = 1.9kw
Weight = 4.1kg
So looks like i might rebuilt her, do a muffler mod, timing advance, gasket delete and a mild port job. Should be sweet!

Does your Shindaiwa actually weigh that though? My 577P is much heavier than advertised.
Well i have checked out the specs on all of the major brands,
Stihl,
Husqvarna,
Echo/Shindaiwa,
Redmax,
Oleomac,
Dolmar/ Makita.
And to my surprise, no one in the Sub 40cc market has anything currently available that has the power to weight of my Shindaiwa 377
Power = 1.9kw
Weight = 4.1kg
So looks like i might rebuilt her, do a muffler mod, timing advance, gasket delete and a mild port job. Should be sweet!

Latest posts

Back