Most under rated chainsaw????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about any of the 70's and 80's American saws. They were relatively cheap,kept a whole generation warm and were pretty reliable. They were not as fast as the European saws because of the 2 piece rods,but an awful lot of them are still cutting wood for people. All be it a little slow,but any saw that is 20 to 40 years old and still cutting is a good saw. It will be interesting how many saws built today will still be running 40 years from now. I really like the new saws because of their speed and lightness. But I have dropped many old saws out of trees,to find that nothing broke,try that with a new one.

I agree, ugly too ;)
1Small.jpg

3270Large.jpg

That's one pretty saw.

Yeah the Stihl 009L (40cc) can be good

You have to tighten the reed plate and the carb and the jug because the factory never seems to get them tight. If you tune the carb carefully they can rev comfortably to 10.3 or 10.4K rpm. This reed valve saw's power band is such that it will cut very well at that speed with a sharp chain, at least till Joe homeowner sticks it in the dirt!

object>

"THE" most underated saw because it is so cheap..
will keep up with saws three times the price and of even slightly bigger displacement..
and that a FULL 12 in red oak log..

I just got one of them Ryobi saws from another member on here.I took it apart and cleaned it up.Runs great!And a very well built cheap saw!

the plastic poulans for what they are and there price ($75) they get the job done

i carry a 35cc's of plastic poulan on my service truck it's been made fun of but all i have to say is will your saw start on the 2nd pull after sitting for about ten mouths with the same gas in it while it's blown 35mph and raining sideways and if you forgot somewhere are you going to cry?..

Was out cuttin a little today. My gaswasalittle old so I drug out a couple of oldies. I pulled out my 3 colored Poulan/Craftsman/Poulan Pro 3000.. I forgot how good that saw runs for 50cc. It pulled an 18inch bar through dead cherry and live ash with ease.

The other is my Olympic 945. Still dead on reliable, and tons of torque for 45cc.

Echo CS 360T

I replaced my 30 year old Mac 320 with a new Echo CS 360T a year and a half ago, and man do I love that little thing. Did the carb and muffler mods recommended on this site and it runs like a champ.

Have to say two come to mind...the Husqvanra's 455-460 Plastic "Home owner" Husqvarna's. They may be the new "XL-12's" of the chainsaw world. They certainly get trashed by all the purists on line but I've had nothing but good experiences first hand with the one I own.

The 365, 2065, 2165 Series saws may be the best bang per buck offerings out there. So I don't know if that really means they are underrated.

I just picked up a Shindaiwa 488 that looks brand new for $200 I know too much but I'll post pics although I have already run 2 tanks through it but it did look brand new but anyway I am really impressed by that little saw I'd buy another one in a heartbeat :msp_thumbup:

I agree on the 350. I was planning on upgrading to a 346XP but just ran mine again on Saturday and it really is a great little saw.

a 350 case with a 346 cylinder/piston would make it the lightest 300 series saw correct me if im wrong. i dont know how old this thread is i was just browsing and i thought i would say something about this

a 350 case with a 346 cylinder/piston would make it the lightest 300 series saw correct me if im wrong. i dont know how old this thread is i was just browsing and i thought i would say something about this

The 346xp itself actually is the most under rated one, despite it is rated among the best! :cool2:

Please edit your post to remove that quote (or just delete your post entirely). You quoted an automated 'spambot'. There was nobody to respond to the question you posted. Spambots 'harvest' bits of previous posts in threads (such as this one) and repost them along with ads or links to sites where you can buy crapola.

They also sometimes contain links that will put virus's or spyware in your computer. Best thing to do is report the posts when you see then and the mods will remove them (as was done here). The only remaining evidence of the spambot is the quote in your post....

Latest posts

Back