Most useless feature on a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm saying it's the throttle interlock lever on the handle. I'm not talking about the handy little button that holds the throttle partly open for easy starting that all old saws had and most modern saws don't but should have. I mean the "safety" lever on the top of the rear handle that must be depressed before the throttle trigger can be pulled. How many of you have duct-taped the annoying thing down, or just removed it completely and how did it ever become such a safety issue to begin with?

If the chain break is used it definitely isn't needed. But you could definitely fall on your saw and hit the throttle. It's definitely designed for those special people who own saws that shouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why anyone would be offended by the operator presence thing, and the idea of running a work saw without a chain brake seems stupid - it affords a meaningful amount of safety benefit, and is required for insurance purposes anyway. Antiques cutting on your woodpile at home, sure, go for it, that's cool.

Truly useless features include the flippy caps, ghetto/cheap tool-less tensioners, and adjustable bar oilers on smaller saws - honestly, how much variation in oiling do you need between a 16-20" bar?

EPA crap such as limiter caps on carbs or restricted cat mufflers. I think the operator presence lever is there for when saw is idling and your moving brush a branch wont make it rev up but if a chain brake is engaged is doesn't serve much of a purpose. Maybe those old echo idle adjustment knobs that can be turned by fingers...cool and good idea but seem easily breakable.

Heres one those old sears saws with "power sharp" or whatever its called. I think they make bars now with the same feature.

If the chain break is used it definitely isn't needed. But you could definitely fall on your saw and hit the throttle. It's definitely designed for those special people who own saws that shouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's easy to say a safety feature is useless until you run into a situation where you are glad you had it. it's a just in case thing and is valuable to anyone. i don't know about you but i think it would be pretty hurt'n to fall on a revving saw. hell, cutting cookies ya may as well strip all the features off the saw including the brake cause very likely they won't be needed. i agree about the people own saws that shouldn't comment though. heck i've met alot of people who could talk like they can use the saw but then watch them use it and they are scary as can be. 10 year old girls are capable of cutting a few cookies.

Tips guards, primer bulbs, powersharp chains and sharpeners, any tool less chain tensioner system. I've forgot about the throttle lockouts on my saws because my hand is pushing on it. The feature i do like is the throttle lock on my 100$ 52cc zenoah clone.

Tips guards, primer bulbs, powersharp chains and sharpeners, any tool less chain tensioner system. I've forgot about the throttle lockouts on my saws because my hand is pushing on it. The feature i do like is the throttle lock on my 100$ 52cc zenoah clone.

ding ding ding! although there are some sharpening options alot of people should consider. i met all kinds of people who could make a chain cut. met very few that could file properly.

Husqvarna air filters are about the most pointless saw feature I know of, chicken wire is more effective

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

i heard all about the struggle you guys down under face :(

Back