Motor oil or Special bar oil for chain saw bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Curious about what everyone uses for bar oil. I always used straight 30 weight for bar oil but am reading and seeing more and more about specific bar oil just for chain saw use. Did a search here and not much came up about different types of bar oil so I was wondering if any opinions on it. Thanks

Bar oil is any junk the refinery scrapes together with some tack additve and maybe some red dye if the customer (Stihl,Husqvarna, Poulan, Snapper, etc) asks for it. ANY BRAND of bar oil is just as good as the next. I prefer actual bar oil over motor oil for the tack additive. DON'T USE USED MOTOR OIL.

wally world=wall mart the only thing the place is missing is a booby bar! do any of you guys have Rural King around you? i buy bar lube from them, they run it useually 2.50 per gal and on sale for 2 for 4.00, seems to be the same as any other.
B

My dad used ATF with some Rotella T mixed in with it in all of his saws. But we are going to use Husky bar lube in our new husky.

Bar Oil

I use Husky Premium in my newer saws but I cannot get it to go through the older style pumps on my older mac saws so I use 90 weight rear end lube that I get for about $2.00 per gallon--seems to work well--just not as thick..

The Poulan and husky bar oil jugs are the same, only a different color. They probably come out off the same tank since electro-lux owns them both. Like Rocky said,Poulan is half the price at wal-mart.

Doug

Back