Move over 359...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
...There is a new kid on the block. HAHAHA. Been messin' with a 621 Redmax as of late. After seeing it whoop a MS361 (both saws stock), I figured I would have a go at one. It is likely the lowest priced 62cc saw on the market, has quality Japanese construction, and a really nice air filter. It also uses thin 1.2mm rings.

This saw has great potential and responds very well to mods - very similar to the 359 Husky. BUT, I have ported both and will say the 621 is by far the better choice as it has more 'hidden power' that is easier to coax, and FAR SUPERIOR construction - especially the P&C. I could bore you all with the details of the build and pictures of my port work, but I'll spare you. With a muffler mod and strong woods port, this saw gained 46%.

If a guy does his shopping right, he can pick up a 621, have it ported, pay just slightly more than a new MS361, and come out with a saw that will cut twice as fast. Sounds like a winner to me :chainsaw:

Jap construction? Sounds more like move over Echo.:greenchainsaw:
What about the coil, is limited on the 621?

Husky owns redmax by now - the first Redmax in Husky dress appeared a while ago (only in parts of Europe, afaIk.....:monkey:

It is a very small top-handle.

teu86.gif

Sounds good FP, 46% is pretty dam smoking! I have not run a modded 361 or 621 yet but they seem to be great saws. Amicks up the road has the 621 for $450 so not a bad price either. I could get a new 361 for a little more $$$, if I didn't already have one.:D I'm very pleased with it muffler modded, pulls a 20" nicely.

Maybe husky will try to market the Redmax a little harder because that is their biggest problem, the name just isn't put out there.

Sounds great fourpaws. My ehp 357 is still going strong. might be looking for another in its class, though.

Dan Henry ported a Redmax 5000 a few years ago. It also was a strong performer. maybe in the league of a ported Partner 5000...which,from what the word is, has not been surpassed by any of the new saws....

Wanna massage a 621 for me?

I feel the need to broaden my brand base.....

lesse.....Stihl, Husky, Jonsy, Solo, Dolmar, Shinny.....Redmax needs its turn..

and, of course, Efco, at some time...

Sounds good FP, 46% is pretty dam smoking! I have not run a modded 361 or 621 yet but they seem to be great saws. Amicks up the road has the 621 for $450 so not a bad price either. I could get a new 361 for a little more $$$, if I didn't already have one.:D I'm very pleased with it muffler modded, pulls a 20" nicely.

Yeah, the 621 for $450 is a good price for a NEW 62cc saw. 361s go for $599 here :eek: No doubt they are nice saws - Stihl builds a quality machine - but they are ALWAYS the highest priced saws in the class, and I am not sure their performance is on par with the price. Having handled both, the 361 seems sturdier than the 621.

Sounds great fourpaws. My ehp 357 is still going strong. might be looking for another in its class, though.

Dan Henry ported a Redmax 5000 a few years ago. It also was a strong performer. maybe in the league of a ported Partner 5000...which,from what the word is, has not been surpassed by any of the new saws....

Wanna massage a 621 for me?

I feel the need to broaden my brand base.....

lesse.....Stihl, Husky, Jonsy, Solo, Dolmar, Shinny.....Redmax needs its turn..

and, of course, Efco, at some time...

Sure! The 621 has an inboard clutch. It uses a goodball D176 mount Echo bar. You can put spacers on the studs to run D009 large Husky mount, or just change out the studs to 9mm as the case is threaded the same. The side cover is plastic and the saw is slightly wider than the 357/359 saws. The chainbrake is much nicer though, and connects on both sides of the saw and is independent from the side cover.

attachment.php

Redmax looks sorta like Echo..........is this who makes them? Seem they use strato charged engines................:notrolls2:

josh I'd love to see some pics of the guts, what did you find for easy power? how does it do compared to the 962?

David

Yeah, the 621 for $450 is a good price for a NEW 62cc saw. 361s go for $599 here :eek: No doubt they are nice saws - Stihl builds a quality machine - but they are ALWAYS the highest priced saws in the class, and I am not sure their performance is on par with the price. Having handled both, the 361 seems sturdier than the 621.

Sure! The 621 has an inboard clutch. It uses a goodball D176 mount Echo bar. You can put spacers on the studs to run D009 large Husky mount, or just change out the studs to 9mm as the case is threaded the same. The side cover is plastic and the saw is slightly wider than the 357/359 saws. The chainbrake is much nicer though, and connects on both sides of the saw and is independent from the side cover.

attachment.php

The quality of the finish doesn't look good at all - but I suspect the innards are pretty good!

Wait........46% increase ?

Yeah, it cut 46% faster in the same log with the same chain.

I'd guess he meant it cut 46% faster in the same log with the same chain after he completed his porting and muffler modifications.

Thanks for clearing it up! If you want, I can send it to you so you can run it next to your 361 :biggrinbounce2:

josh I'd love to see some pics of the guts, what did you find for easy power? how does it do compared to the 962?

David

David, the muffler is easy to modify - see my DIY muffler mod thread for pictures. The jug is high quality - the cleanest factory jug next to a Shindaiwa jug I have ever seen on a stock saw. Far superior to the Mahle or Brazilian made jugs that go on Stihl saws. The ports were smoother than a baby's arse, and the plating is first rate. Twin open transfers like a 651 Solo - I'm tellin' ya man, I am getting more and more convinced that open transfers are the shiz on high output saws. I have seen jugs ported by the 'big boys' that have the bridge cut out (like 2100 jugs, etc.) The numbers are pretty high stock, and the piston is not skirt limited. I took the ports WIDE (like over 1/8" wider than stock on both sides) and really concentrated on the shape of the transfers. I think that is where most of the gains are to be had. Quite honestly, this saw came alive and is night and day.

The quality of the finish doesn't look good at all - but I suspect the innards are pretty good!

What are you basing your opinion on? All the pieces line up and fit properly. Please don't say it looks bad because there is bar oil and sawdust on it - that is what happens when you use a saw.

Troll, your awsome man.

he knows hes in love with the redmax but just wont admit it.

:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back