Move the Wood Pile ?? <pics>

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well Spring season is upon us here in Missouri and I need to decide if I should move my wood pile below the house or maybe get some pallets and organize it neatly around the stove area. My OWB is about 75 feet from the house and my wife said she did not care if the wood stayed where it is. Maybe for mowing reasons, and some concrete and gravel work that we will be doing this summer, it might be best moved further away. Sure thought we would go through alot more wood than we did, Jan, Feb, March, maybe 2 cords.

Wondering what others are doing with their wood piles for the spring/summer? Keeping them near the stove, or further away? I will burn April and May unless it starts getting really warm, just to heat my domestic water. Currently getting easy 24 + hours with 50-60 during the day, and 30-40 at night.

stove_front2_640.jpg

Had a nice Easter day, mid 40s, so hand split some wood and cleaned up around the wood pile.

hand_splitting_640.jpg

Finished off the day with a nice sunset just me and 'ol smokey. Gosh, I love my OWB !! :)

night_art2_640.jpg

Last edited:
with my first yr. (few mo. so far) i am keeping it close. i had a tree service drop off a load of wood chips that i spread so the wood does not come in contact with soil. and any weed breakthrough i will hit with round up.

If it were me, I wouldn't move the woodpile just to move it back to burn it next season. Wood takes up a lot of work without adding more. I'd be looking into some sort of a woodshed to keep the wood dry and maybe something over the front of the OWB for when you have to load it in the rain. I've seen some nice looking setups from members here on AS.

Very nice. Looks like great building for keeping it dry but allowing the wind in.

Got the pic right on the first try.

Hey icreek, is that a chopper 1 axe ? I have 2 of them and love em, but can't tell if thats one as well.

C.B.

Yup Chopper 1 Axe.... I picked it up at a garage sale years ago for $5. It seems to work OK, I don't split alot of wood by hand, we use the Backhoe most the time :)

Agree

one spark gets out on that dry wood chips and kiss everything goodbye, you'd be better off with a load of gravel in front of boiler

Basically thats how I ended up with my Hardy H2, it got some burn damage at my brother in laws as the wood pile caught on fire. His insurance covered re-casing it, and replacing the wiring etc. A spark got out and he did not notice it, he used to stack his wood right next to the stove. Woke up with someone beating on his door at 2 AM, about 2 cord of wood burning, and the stove was right in the middle of it... After it was repaired, he then upgrade to a bigger model, and I got his old stove free. So I have seen it first hand, keep the wood far enough away from the OWB that it can't catch fire from a spark.

Last edited:
one spark gets out on that dry wood chips and kiss everything goodbye, you'd be better off with a load of gravel in front of boiler

thanks woodfarmer for the heads up..
here is a closer pic

Back