moving mysterous maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakubuku

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions to ask. For starters, how would I best identify the type of maple tree I have? Next, how do I best prune it? I need to keep the tree relatively small so that it can move with our family sometime in the next 18 months. And is there a good (or bad) time of year for moving trees? Also, every year, the leaves develop strange - looking growths, something like a polyp - especially on the lower branches. FYI, the tree is only six years old. My son planted the seed in our garden when he was three. It is now almost 18 feet tall. Thanks for any and all help.

Rather than pruning the top I would suggest pruning the roots.
Take a sharp spade and push down into the soil to the depth of the spade. This will sever the roots and create a fiborous root system. This will help in transplanting. If the tree is 6 years old from a seedling I would imagine it s probably about a 2-2.5" caliper. Root prune about 20"-24" from the trunk. Maples can be moved in dormancy either early Spring or later in the fall.
If I had to guess I would say you either have a Silver or Sugar Maple. These germinate real easy from seed. To get an exact ID send a sample to an Arboretum or your local County Cooperative extension service.
The polyps you describe are Galls caused by Bladder Gall Mites.
These are not harmful to the tree but are quite unsightly.
To help prevent them use a dormant oil early in the season.

John
ISA Certified Arborist, Illinois Certified Nurseryman
Garden Visions Nursery

Look here. The latin name for maple is Acer.

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/a/a.html

Here in MKE, WI the leaf gall is found mostly on silver maple (Acer saccharinum).

If you are moving in the dormant season (18 months may not make that.) you can transplant the tree bare root. after the leaves fall you can use a hose to move the sole from the roots and hand prune them. Then when replanting stake the tree for one year.

Another way to move the tree is to hire someone who owns a tree-spade. They come in different sizes and it is a big machine that puts large blades into the ground and will dig the tree up rootball and all and can transport the tree to where ever you are going if it is somewhat close to where you live now. And the tree-spade will also plant the tree to. John

Back