Moving the Woodpile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've decided that after this year's wood is gone, I'm going to relocate my future wood pile to both aide drying and also create more room in our parking area. Currently the rows are stacked on either ties or scrap lumber laid on the ground.
image.jpg

Current spot holds about 7 cords but once you get the first couple of rows in it stacks significantly slower due to having to walk around trees etc once the pile starts to get larger. Also only one part of side of this pile gets sun exposure.

I'm going to put my future piles in racks similar to the one currently on my deck (right side of photo) which will achieve the following: ease stacking, make measuring quantities of wood easier, is much more portable than railroad ties, can be positioned in direct sunlight, and I can easily move a portion of the stack at a time without needing to crawl between rows.
image.jpg
I've got a nice flat mowed area across the driveway adjacent to my mound system which will be a nice area for the new stacks.

Ya, it's funny how stacking systems evolve. I keep coming up with new ideas, but most are out of my league so far. Slickest, to me, idea I had was to build a multi cord sized kiln, from something, like a metal prefab building like a backyard shed or carport, etc, old trailer, something, and pipe the exhaust into the greenhouse.

Better stay outta the Greenhouse when the kiln is running

Why? Hot moist air only would be going in, and would only run it on cold nights in the winter. Was thinking a smoke dragon, double barrel stove maybe, burning uglies for the heat source.

in about 5yrs i've got to figure out how to move my new piles about 900ft to burner :)

Attachments

• wood 018.jpg
    wood 018.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 26
Back