Ms 026 Frankensaw headcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

084Amateur

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a great deal on an 026 red lever. Upper plastic is from an ms260. The guy I bought it from rebuilt it including all new rubber.

This saw has me downright confused. It runs great one day and horrible the next. Usually runs better on colder days. Other days it starts very hard and requires choke and throttle to start. I have attempted tuning the carb but that has almost no effect. Days it's running great I've tweaked it just right, but then it runs like garbage again in a day or two. Carb has been rebuilt to no effect.

My thoughts are replacing the fuel line (I believe he used aftermarket parts) or changing out the carb. Past that I'm a handy guy but unfamiliar with chainsaws. Any thoughts? Also considered just selling it and my ms180 and getting a newer "small saw." Other saw in the stable is an ms361 which is a tad big for some jobs.

I should specify...the main problem is getting the saw to idle. When running well it idles great. Other days I have to adjust the idle speed to max and feather the throttle between cuts or it will die. No problems when on the throttle.

If the power to weight ratio wasn't so awesome I'd throw it on the shelf and grab the 028 super, but the 028 is a dog compared to the 026.

You've got a sick saw. Don't run it till you figure out what's going on. You've got all the symptoms of an air leak so I'd recommend stripping it down and doing a pressure & vacuum test. Something is wrong, you just need to find it. Don't assume that anything was done correctly. Once you've eliminated the engine, you can focus on the carb.

Back