Ms 180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chronicstihl

chronicstihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Just purchased this saw for my Dad for his birthday. He has an 026, but complained about it hurting his shoulder when starting. He is 70.

This MS 180 has the new Easy Start feature. It is weird like a wind up toy starter cord that stores energy into a spring system, then releases after so much energy storage (so many pulls).

Does anyone have expericence with this saw and its new starting method?

Also, the guy at the shop instructed me (Dad) to keep this chain much tighter than normal tension on bigger saws. This is a pico chain. Why would you want to run this chain tighter?

Chronic

Diesel JD

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
I can't figure out whay you'd run it tighter. The MS170, 180, MS191T all come with the Picco mini chain, it's a narrow kerf .043 gauge. No safety guards, but meets ANSI low kick standards. Real small stuff. Seems like a really neat pruning or climbing saw, it would run away from most of my firewood jobs though!

Butch(OH)

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
We were told the same thing about tighter than H--- chain when we got the 210. When it had the Stihl picco with safety humps the speed of cut was noticably faster when tighter than normal as they told us to do. Now that we are running Carton 3/8 low pro from Tony M on it we run the tension more like normal and cuts faster yet for 2/3 or less than the price of Stihl chain, shamless plug for Tony and Calton chain.

Diesel JD

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Stihl chain with safety humps huh? It must be running the 3/8" Lo ProX.050" gauge that would be 63PM1 safety chain. See what I was talkinga bout was 61PMN, thought that was what the MS180 came with.

Butch(OH)

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
JD diesel, I don't know the Stihl chain numbers, It is the chain you get when you buy a 210 of the shelf, 3/8" .050 low profile, it is not the narrow kerf PICCO that takes the special bars. My Stihl dealer doesnt stock the non safely hump version and Tony was glad to make up and ship some loops of Carlton (hah, spelt rite the first time) and I am quite happy with it. I think N1C, right Tony?

chronicstihl

chronicstihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Dad's 026 does not have the de-compression valve, not sure about the start feature. He was amazed at how easy the pull was on new 180.

He did not get a chance to cut any wood yet for comparison.

I will have him try the chain tension "normal" and then "tight" for cutting speed.

Chronic

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
"Easystart" is great for those that physically need it when you use it correctly. However, if you miss the first fire and flood the motor, the "easy start" won't give you enough control to get it started easily... Get the same problem on the FS55 trimmers with this option. I have to "educate" about two customers a week about why the saw won't start. The saws are all flooded and even I have trouble getting them started (no, I'm not going though the "take out the plug, clean it etc etc").

Latest posts