Ms 191t? Any body

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climberjones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up a ms 191t from a feller and was wondering if its a good saw or if its under powered i have not bought a bar or chain for it yet but i have started it and it seems to run very well! Any input is much appreciated!

I have a MS192TC. Yes it's a nice saw, and yes it's underpowered. I would recommend 12" mini bar and Oregon 90S chain in 44 DL. If Stihl is your only option for bar and chain the 61 PMM3 44 chain will work ok too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2c2eht3UoU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Since the video, I purchased the 90S chain from baileys and it definitely cuts faster than the PMM3

Good luck with your new saw!

Last edited:
I have a 192T and probably use it the most for yard work.

Underpowered...well what are you planning to use it for...fallen limbs and pruning...it's great.

Anything over 6"..you need a bigger saw - - - I hope your weren't expecting more from it.

Used in good running condition is ~$150...hope you got a good deal..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I used to have one to use on prune jobs but i found out i was more productive with my Silky...seriously.

I agree. I just went through a 191t for a friend. I don't know much about how they perform in the real world but they're kind of a pain to work on. It doesn't want to oil the bar very well.

I have the impression it is about the worst saw Stihl ever has made - but I don't really know...:msp_unsure:
Well you just need to experience a mm'd 192T...but you never will..

Mine is supposedly also lightly woods ported..
(can't say for sure as I bought it used..but from a Stihl dealer who knew full well the history of the saw)

It really is my everyday yard saw..(leaving the 200T on the shelf)

It really runs very close to the 200T..at least for as long as it lasts..

{again NO details on porting (if true) and who did it...but it's a blast to run..!!}
J2F

Last edited:
I guess I didn't realize the 191 is so different than the 192. A google search reveals the 191 has 20% more power and 25% more bulk than the 192. I wouldn't mind getting a try on one either. Do they really come with .325" chain?

I guess I didn't realize the 191 is so different than the 192. A google search reveals the 191 has 20% more power and 25% more bulk than the 192. I wouldn't mind getting a try on one either. Do they really come with .325" chain?

No 3/8 low profile (Picco)

Take if from someone who has worked on them (alot I might add). I surely hope that Stihl didnt make any worse ones.
Soo you're saying you've worked on a lot of 191's..??

Just sayin' top handle saws are rare in general public use...that's common knowledge.

But there's a whole bunch of them used in N.W. Indiana??...and 191's..??

Could you please explain how this phenomenal event happened in your area..??
J2F.....at the 'chickenchit' shop that doesn't stock carb kits for old POS Poulans..!!.....LOL..!!!!

Last edited:
Soo you're saying you've worked on a lot of 191's..??

Just sayin' top handle saws are rare in general public use...that's common knowledge.

But there's a whole bunch of them used in N.W. Indiana??...and 191's..??

Could you please explain how this phenomenal event happened in your area..??
J2F.....at the 'chickenchit' shop that doesn't stock carb kits for old POS Poulans..!!.....LOL..!!!!

So here you are again yapping in a thread about a saw that you know nothing about or have even seen. :hmm3grin2orange:

Your a Dandy no doubt.

You really think I need to explain myself to you about this?

Well since you really need to know then OK. I have a tree service guy that brings me saws in to be repaired from time to time because even though they like there Stihls, they have gotten to the point of hating being raped by our local Stihl dealers.

The one I work with most had 3 of those 191T's and it was a constant battle with those little pieces of Sthil wonders.

Power is not a problem, keeping them running is and oiling is. There down to 2 now as the one just destroyed itself with all the leaks in the air filter tubes, that are always leaking.

Thank god they bought a 200T so I have not had to see one of the 191's for a while.

Not sure why top handle saws are such voodoo down in Hoot Owl Holler, there plentfull here in NW Indiana.

In fact I bought my first top handle here in around 78. A Poulan S25CVA which to this day is a much better saw then that plastic piece of crap 191T.

I know you wont like that remark, but since you have never seen a 191T you have no way of knowing if I'm right or wrong so you will just have to deal with that.

Here is the only picture of a 191T that I have, I weighed this lightweight beauty.

Now at least you can say you have seen a picture of one.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back