Ms 191t? Any body

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here you are again yapping in a thread about a saw that you know nothing about or have even seen. :hmm3grin2orange:

Your a Dandy no doubt.

You really think I need to explain myself to you about this?

Well since you really need to know then OK. I have a tree service guy that brings me saws in to be repaired from time to time because even though they like there Stihls, they have gotten to the point of hating being raped by our local Stihl dealers.

The one I work with most had 3 of those 191T's and it was a constant battle with those little pieces of Sthil wonders.

Power is not a problem, keeping them running is and oiling is. There down to 2 now as the one just destroyed itself with all the leaks in the air filter tubes, that are always leaking.

Thank god they bought a 200T so I have not had to see one of the 191's for a while.

Not sure why top handle saws are such voodoo down in Hoot Owl Holler, there plentfull here in NW Indiana.

In fact I bought my first top handle here in around 78. A Poulan S25CVA which to this day is a much better saw then that plastic piece of crap 191T.

I know you wont like that remark, but since you have never seen a 191T you have no way of knowing if I'm right or wrong so you will just have to deal with that.
Dull night and of course you know I was just messing with ya..!!

But it is interesting that your local aborist's stayed with that model for so long..??

Down here in the South..(for some strange reason)..they're considered VERY dangerous...so few owners. - just climbers.

The Poulan S25CVA...(I'm guessing a top handle..??) never seen one of them either. Poulan just frankly..ain't popular here.
( this is Stihl country..only one Husky dealer..(but he's also the major Stihl dealer..what a joke..!!)

I guess it just a 'thang' of where you live..??

Always a pleasure to speak with you..even when you "dawg me down"..!!!:msp_thumbup:
:cheers:
J2F...aka.."Dandy Dave"...:msp_lol::msp_lol::msp_lol:

I felled an 18" pine with my 019t a couple weeks ago when my 362 was getting ported. It was good practice plunge cutting with the 12" bar. I made 066 noises in my head and pretended it was a 30" bar in some big timber.

The saw is fine, if you we're cutting all day getting paid by the job we all know this wouldn't be your first choice, but chances are, you're not.

These little Stihls really rock for their size...IF you can keep the freaking the carburetor running..!!..LOL!!

I use my little 192T the most of saws I have..saving the 200T - patience is the key..!!

Yeah..you wouldn't want to get paid on production..LOL..!!
J2F

Dull night and of course you know I was just messing with ya..!!

But it is interesting that your local aborist's stayed with that model for so long..??

Down here in the South..(for some strange reason)..they're considered VERY dangerous...so few owners. - just climbers.

The Poulan S25CVA...(I'm guessing a top handle..??) never seen one of them either. Poulan just frankly..ain't popular here.
( this is Stihl country..only one Husky dealer..(but he's also the major Stihl dealer..what a joke..!!)

I guess it just a 'thang' of where you live..??

Always a pleasure to speak with you..even when you "dawg me down"..!!!:msp_thumbup:
J2F...aka.."Dandy Dave"...:msp_lol::msp_lol::msp_lol:

I have an s25cva and it is hands down my favorite small saw out of around..dunno, dozen and a half running small saws..has a 16 on it, beaucoup power and I can run it one handed easy, and I'm a small dude

I have an s25cva and it is hands down my favorite small saw out of around..dunno, dozen and a half running small saws..has a 16 on it, beaucoup power and I can run it one handed easy, and I'm a small dude
Hi Zogger..

Well.. I just had to know hopefully what you and Mark were talking about with that Poulan..went to Acres...

Yeah..color me "impressed" for sure..especially started in 1974..wonder why they discontinued it..should have been a big seller..??

OK..a little heavy compared to today's saws..picture at bottom looks cool too...why discontinue it ??..you or any readers know..??

Just another day I end up with **** on my face...while you and Mark get shiny stars by your name..if you're old enough to know what that means..it's a grade school thing from back in the '50s.

If I should die tonight and wake up in heaven...I wish that it will it would be back in the 50's..!!
Though we were quite poor $$wise...we had cows for milk..chickens for eggs..a big garden and canned for the winter.

J2F

Last edited:
I am sorry to say that this thread has yet to reveal why the 191T is a lil' animal which is a piece of history.. yes - a bad work saw, and bad to work on! (though I get along with these after I got the idea..) . Has any of you seen the specs of the 191T? Have you ever imagined that it's engine size is around 1.5cc larger than the 025/MS250?
just so you guys know..

The MS191T now is becoming a rare classic for being the largest production top-handle saw ever made for reasons that are still unknown..

Also - since the clutch ass'y is inboard like 025/MS250 and others, I tried a .325" combo on it from my old 025!!!! LOL ..that was funny... :p

Hello, would you care to explain that a bit more? Where did you come up with the data for that statement.

Anywhere u can view official data about it. Like STIHL USA site. Download a copy of the 191T's Owner's Manual, and there yo'll witness the insanity.. isn't it crazy??! U gotta admit.. even I sat back at this and went google'ing and searching the forum.. since not much threads about it were found back then, I lurked it ever since.. got smarter.. and one day - POP!! One on eBay! So I stalked, and won it. I'll tell more of it if u want.. meanwhile, let me tell ya - every stroke of it's piston really hammers!! I can understand why it's a bad beasty boy to work with.. not to mention the rest.. but I haaaad to get one!!! LOL

Are the ms191 and ms170 ignition modules interchangable?

wish I knew, but I'd say - probably not. Totally different saw. But, just to give an extended piece of info: engine size of both MS170 and MS192/MS192T are identical, sporting 30.1cc .. if price isn't an issue, I'd always choose the nimble MS192 rear-handle. I sometime carve vith it, or use it to limb.. super light and manouverable for light ground tasks.. problem is that having an MS200 rear handle changes everything :) :) :) :)

Anywhere u can view official data about it. Like STIHL USA site. Download a copy of the 191T's Owner's Manual, and there yo'll witness the insanity.. isn't it crazy??! U gotta admit.. even I sat back at this and went google'ing and searching the forum.. since not much threads about it were found back then, I lurked it ever since.. got smarter.. and one day - POP!! One on eBay! So I stalked, and won it. I'll tell more of it if u want.. meanwhile, let me tell ya - every stroke of it's piston really hammers!! I can understand why it's a bad beasty boy to work with.. not to mention the rest.. but I haaaad to get one!!! LOL

So you cant say a credible source, but I can assure you the 191T is far from largest production top-handle saw ever made. I cant even imagine.

No I don't want to down load nothing about them I don't ever want to see one of those POS again...

Download.. logging into AS.. same same.. takes as much effort and resources as scrolling down to the "Specifications" page :)

And what is the largest one? Engine size of course.. say? I actually am curious.Thanks, Jo

Download.. logging into AS.. same same.. takes as much effort and resources as scrolling down to the "Specifications" page :)

And what is the largest one? Engine size of course.. say? I actually am curious.Thanks, Jo

The largest displacement top handle? I guess a Pioneer 450 would be near the top at 89cc...

Also, what's credible 2 u ?
I did't say that STIHL's my only source.. I read anything I could find. I can't handle recreating my own research via my tiny Sony Ericsson Expiria Mini with the oldest Android ever.. can only write..

I had rebuilt 019T, 190T and now I have a barely used 191T that I aint gonna take apart just to show you the bore held against a calliber.. I saw a used P&C set being measured in front of my eyes. But you seemed to ask for official data.. I tried..

The largest displacement top handle? I guess a Pioneer 450 would be near the top at 89cc...

Oh, woopsydasies.. let me rephrase: CLIMBING saw. I didn't mean attaching b&c through gear-drive to a 50's-60's generator with top carrying handle/s.. lol.. I'm just kidding.. I respect vintage! Just so u know I meant CLIMBING SAW :)

We cool now? :)

Oh, woopsydasies.. let me rephrase: CLIMBING saw. I didn't mean attaching b&c through gear-drive to a 50's-60's generator with top carrying handle/s.. lol.. I'm just kidding.. I respect vintage! Just so u know I meant CLIMBING SAW :)

We cool now? :)

No we ain't cool yet, I didn't ask for data on the displacement of a 191T we all know what that is.

You made a BS claim about it being the largest production top-handle saw ever made, I'm asking for data to back that up..

I think your exuberance on your new saw has overrode your common sense.

As for the 191T yes its a fairly large displacement but it will still not out cut a 1975 vintage Poulan S25DA with its 38cc.

I know, I have ran them both side by side.

No we ain't cool yet, I didn't ask for data on the displacement of a 191T we all know what that is.

You made a BS claim about it being the largest production top-handle saw ever made, I'm asking for data to back that up..

I think your exuberance on your new saw has overrode your common sense.

As for the 191T yes its a fairly large displacement but it will still not out cut a 1975 vintage Poulan S25DA with its 38cc.

I know, I have ran them both side by side.

Have it your way. I came in peace. Who came to compare performance???? My purchase is just C.A.D. - wishing to try one 191T , and god forbid - add to my collection. Got more than enough saws for actual work. NEVER meant bragging about nothing. My english - it's 2nd language. feel free to go offence, I won't defend, just will keep doing my best to stick to honesty and integrity. Don't like it? It's your right not to.. seems like it's a lil' lightyear between where I just corrected myself with 'CLIMBING SAW' and where you keep insisting that by mis-phrasing 'top-handle saw' I carved it in stone.. what can I do, argue?? Go ahead, mock my English and good intentions

Not to mention that my questioning about what kind of data u wish for is as if never occured, plus the fact that the way you posed your 1st big question seemed to me as if you're seriously asking about ANY source with specs, and not as if you know all that already..... guess I didn't pick up the cynical tone.... whatever..... like I was supposed to figure out your years of experience by telepathy....

Latest posts

Back