MS 200T carb question and working out the bugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingdaddy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a 200t last week and have been working on getting it into the best condition I can. New fuel tank and all new AV bushings (the saw had been dropped and cracked the old tank and broke one bushing) and it got a new bar and chain. The saw smokes after running under load from the muffler but it also seems like it’s smoking from the body of the saw (engine, plastic, bar oil on muffler?) the muffler is very “gunky” looking so I plan to remove it and see if it needs a good deep cleaning. I have adjusted the carb and decreased the idle (I think it was way too high). The carb is a “Stihl” stamped carb but it has an odd roll pin sticking out of the side. That’s not how they came from the factory is it? Any info on the carb or on getting it to quit smoking will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• C9194B2F-9394-4E50-827F-533FCD243468.jpeg
    C9194B2F-9394-4E50-827F-533FCD243468.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • E69639D9-455E-43C1-AEA3-B0E1B8626602.jpeg
    E69639D9-455E-43C1-AEA3-B0E1B8626602.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
If it was well dropped- enough to break the tank and tear AV's, it may have bent the muffler enough it is contacting plastic?
Oily gunk wont be helping and a good clean will do no harm- neither will removing the spark arrestor screen if it is still fitted and storing it somewhere safe.

Roll pin is the limit stop for epa limiter caps
dirt oil buildup can cause smoke coming from around muffler area
That makes sense, I just couldn’t find a roll pin in any of the images on Google of a 200t carb so I was confuzzled. Thanks!

If it was well dropped- enough to break the tank and tear AV's, it may have bent the muffler enough it is contacting plastic?
Oily gunk wont be helping and a good clean will do no harm- neither will removing the spark arrestor screen if it is still fitted and storing it somewhere safe.
Spark arrestor is gone, but I’ll definitely be pulling the muffler today to check everything mentioned above. It’s quite gunky…
thanks!

Lone wolf, I’m glad your here! What sort of fuel consumption should I expect from the 200t? It’s my first top handle/climbing saw so I’m not used to such a small fuel tank, but it seems to run through the fuel mix even faster than I would have expected.
20 minutes with a few breaks in cutting, longer if your in a tree with lots of off and on cutting.

20 minutes with a few breaks in cutting, longer if your in a tree with lots of off and on cutting.
I will do some testing but I don’t thinking getting 20 minutes from a tank. What factors/issues can cause rapid fuel construction. I did just lower the idle and hopefully that fixes the problem. But are there other things that could cause it ?

I will do some testing but I don’t thinking getting 20 minutes from a tank. What factors/issues can cause rapid fuel construction. I did just lower the idle and hopefully that fixes the problem. But are there other things that could cause it ?
Non stop cutting could be less. They are in the Tree saws so that inludes stop and go. Pig rich could cause it but you would notice. You took the screen of the muffler out right? They arent known for great gas economy.

Non stop cutting could be less. They are in the Tree saws so that inludes stop and go. Pig rich could cause it but you would notice. You took the screen of the muffler out right? They arent known for great gas economy.
The screen was not on it when I got it. But I would have removed it if it had been there. Any pro tips on cleaning the muffler once removed? Torch?

Lone wolf, I’m glad your here! What sort of fuel consumption should I expect from the 200t? It’s my first top handle/climbing saw so I’m not used to such a small fuel tank, but it seems to run through the fuel mix even faster than I would have expected.
I can completely remove the canopy from a large'ish Red Oak on one tank. A large Live Oak takes 2+ tanks. In Pine I am usually topping out on fumes. Some "good" habits to develop for increasing runtime are, Don't make un-necessary cuts, Don't allow your saw to idle while hanging from your hip, Don't run a rich fuel-oil mixture (44:1 or 50:1) are absolutely appropriate for this saw. DO, carry a TuneyDriver on you while in the tree for "On-The-Fly" carb adjustments. DO, use a handsaw when possible, there is no reason to fire up the saw for a 1" limb. And finally, make sure your chain is sharp!! In my experience this is the #1 runtime killer for the 200T.

I picked up a 200t last week and have been working on getting it into the best condition I can. New fuel tank and all new AV bushings (the saw had been dropped and cracked the old tank and broke one bushing) and it got a new bar and chain. The saw smokes after running under load from the muffler but it also seems like it’s smoking from the body of the saw (engine, plastic, bar oil on muffler?) the muffler is very “gunky” looking so I plan to remove it and see if it needs a good deep cleaning. I have adjusted the carb and decreased the idle (I think it was way too high). The carb is a “Stihl” stamped carb but it has an odd roll pin sticking out of the side. That’s not how they came from the factory is it? Any info on the carb or on getting it to quit smoking will be greatly appreciated!
Rool pin is a stop for the high side

Back