Ms-210c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidiro

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Going to get another clam soon and wondering what is the C about.

Is there a MS-210 model and a MS-210C? What is the difference? Is carburater adjustable on this saw?

Can this be upgraded to a MS-250 C/P later on?

I'm just looking for a 14" cheap saw and found this one.

I guess the C is for the Crappy air filter assembly/design and the easy chain adjuster thing I've never seen before. Saw plastics are in really good shape and 16" bar paint is all there and shiny but because of the crappy filter design it has 85psi comp.

I can't believe this thing still starts and runs decent w/compression that low. Another clam for me to take apart and rering.

It has H/L and idle adustments. I didn't know what models have a non adjustable carb and was hoping this one was not one of them.

I was looking for a cheap saw that I could setup with a 14" but it has a really good bar/chain so it stays as is. Hope this $40 investment holds together for some time before I decide to ring it.

I still can't believe the air filter. It just clips on and bounces around letting a bunch of dust in as it shows plenty of particles stuck to the carb inlet.

I'll pull the muffler off soon to check for scouring.

There is an MS210 and MS210C, the C designates the model has one or more of Stihl's "Comfort" features. So you can have a straight MS210 (with or without decomp) or MS210C-B (Quick chain tensioning and decomp) or MS210C-BE (Quick chain tensioning and Easy2Start). The MS210C-BE model has a different tank/engine housing along with a different recoil compared to the MS210C-B or MS210 models.

You can't upgrade to the MS250 P+C as the strokes are different (28mm on MS210 and 32mm on MS230 and MS250). They used to make a lot better air filter for the 021,023,025 saws part number 1123 120 1620, similar to that found on the 029/039 saws. It had a smaller surface area than the newer version but i don't think it would make much difference on a 021/MS210. It might fit, stud spacing is the same, don't know about box cover. However, i believe it is now NLA (nla in the UK).

With 85psi the saw starts and runs?? :dizzy:
Are you sure your compression gauge is accurate?

Last edited:
Gauge tested a few of my other saws and it does pretty good. My ms390 tested 162psi. Unless I didn't pull enough times, I tested it in front of the previous owner before I made the purchase and I was in a hurry but I made sure gauge was on tight and I pulled about 8 times pretty hard. As soon as I saw comp was not going up and the dust all over the throat of the intake and into carb I automatically assumed it's worn down for sure.

I'll check it again with gauge to see what happens but doubt it'll change. I'll swish some straight gas through it and dump a few times to clear out any dust in there and then test comp again. Then I'll throw in a few drops of oil to bottom end before I restart it. I do notice that plug is coming out pretty wet right after shutting down so it's either not burning fuel good enough or someone messed with carb adjustments. I haven't looked it over yet.

Filter needs to be delt with, even if I find a way to put a piece of foam in there. The 1127 filter setup smaller for this saw was a better design for sure. I can't see how any owner of a saw with this type of filter setup make the saw last, unless filter is siliconed to bottom part. It should have at least a rubber seal so that it doesn't mate plastic to plastic, unless there is something missing on mine as it kinda bounces around some. Clips on filter itself are fine, maybe I can just find a thin piece of rubber that I can stick to the bottom end of filter assembly so that the filter then pushes against it.

Is there any truth to the comments that I saw on a different site about the c models having a much more restrictive muffler for it to meet a lower decibel level, possibly another "Comfort".

foam...

my first 021 same saw had a piece of foam in it about the size of a poulan s25da foam filter i found it to work well as i would always have clean ones and swap them out seemed like it worked better thet that one i have a newer one took that top piece off and put a filter in seems to work better try it!!!i lightly oil mine also ...

I guess the C is for the Crappy air filter assembly/design and the easy chain adjuster thing I've never seen before. Saw plastics are in really good shape and 16" bar paint is all there and shiny but because of the crappy filter design it has 85psi comp.

I can't believe this thing still starts and runs decent w/compression that low. Another clam for me to take apart and rering.

It has H/L and idle adustments. I didn't know what models have a non adjustable carb and was hoping this one was not one of them.

I was looking for a cheap saw that I could setup with a 14" but it has a really good bar/chain so it stays as is. Hope this $40 investment holds together for some time before I decide to ring it.

I still can't believe the air filter. It just clips on and bounces around letting a bunch of dust in as it shows plenty of particles stuck to the carb inlet.

I'll pull the muffler off soon to check for scouring.

That air filter needs a bit of care when installing to be sure _both_ clips are seated. If it is loose after that something is wrong. I don't like it either.

Harry K

Here's the update so far with this saw. I still have it as it will be a good saw for my 9 year old to learn on. I was able to run about a tankfull through it since purchase, but now it has sat for a while and cannot get it started anymore. It is possible that the previous owner overdosed it with oil so that it would start, oh well. Time to pull it apart when I have some time as it is in near mint condition otherwise and well worth my time doing the repair.

As for the filter, after I started this thread I took a good look at it and those two clip ears on the filter itself were spread out a little too much and that was the reason it bounced around when mounted. I applied some dry heat to the clips on filter and squeezed them in a little just to straighten them back up and now filter is nice and tight like it should always be. Definately something to keep an eye on if this type of saw cuts a lot of wood and filter is removed various times to clean.

All in all it's a nice saw.

About the least attractive saw I can think of - but that doesn't really matter, if it does what you keep it for! :msp_wink:

Here's the update so far with this saw. I still have it as it will be a good saw for my 9 year old to learn on. I was able to run about a tankfull through it since purchase, but now it has sat for a while and cannot get it started anymore. It is possible that the previous owner overdosed it with oil so that it would start, oh well. Time to pull it apart when I have some time as it is in near mint condition otherwise and well worth my time doing the repair.

As for the filter, after I started this thread I took a good look at it and those two clip ears on the filter itself were spread out a little too much and that was the reason it bounced around when mounted. I applied some dry heat to the clips on filter and squeezed them in a little just to straighten them back up and now filter is nice and tight like it should always be. Definately something to keep an eye on if this type of saw cuts a lot of wood and filter is removed various times to clean.

All in all it's a nice saw.

You should do that ring job before you run it, plus check for air leaks. Or..you'll be doing a ring job..and a piston..and a cylinder. Then it won't be cheap any more.

About the least attractive saw I can think of - but that doesn't really matter, if it does what you keep it for! :msp_wink:

I know it's not a pro saw but it's not that bad looking.

I don't see much damage on the intake side of piston but still have not pulled the muffler. Hope exhaust side looks like the intake side. I do remember seeing dust down the carb all the way up to piston, that's when I flushed it with raw fuel to get it all off before I continued to use it as it was. I let it dry completely and was able to run a full tank through it but definately will need work. I'll be looking for ring options soon after I pull it apart. Curious if it comes apart in the same order as the 029S, I guess I'll know when I start.

Back