MS 241 "anomalies"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectre468

ArboristSiteNoob
Reaction score
Looked at a MS 241 that was on the shelf at a local ACE store. Nice little saw, but noticed a couple of things that I was not expecting to find...

First off, it had a decompression valve. WTF? Surely it isn't needed on a saw this size. All the catalog images I've seen show the top cover with the cutout for it, but it has a black rubber plug in it. Not this saw. Has the part in place.

Secondly, I thought that these guys were supposed to ship with the 3/8p b&c running a rim sprocket. This one was a 6T spur for the 3/8p.

Was this particular saw built on a Friday near closing time, or is this how they are shipping now?

And yes, It was the M-tronic C-M model.

The 241 is shipped with 3/8 Picco in the Northwest, the one I have has the spur also. I wouldn't run anything larger than .325 on it. Mine has decompression also. Why? I don't know. I don't even use the decompression on my 441.

The 241 I bought here in NY had 3/8P, PS3 variety on a spur sprocket. And yes, the decomp is silly, but it's there. Looks like another cutout on the top cover for heated handles?

I have pics at home to post later.

Some MS241C-M Pics

IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG IMG_0823.JPG IMG_0824.JPG

Peculiarities that I noticed, one bar stud, decomp on a 42cc saw, spur sprocket, blue grease on the ign switch, and no provision (not even a hidden one!) for an outer bucking spike in the plastic clutch cover.

It is however, light, fast and has a surprising amount of grunt for 42cc. And PS3 chain rocks! :rock:

The decomp isn't a surprice these days, and can of course be plugged or just left alone.

I am surprised by the spur sprocket though, I thought they came with 7-pin rims....

The decomp isn't a surprice these day, and can of course be plugged or just left alone.

I am surprised by the spur sprocket though, I thought they came with 7-pin rims....

Yeah, that's what I had heard, too. This was a 6 tooth spur. Kinda disappointing. Wish they had spent the money for the decomp on a second bar stud and a rim sprocket...

I like rim sprockets too but honestly, there is only 1 good chain pitch to run on this machine and that's 3/8" Picco. The PS3 that ships on it is damn good and I know I wouldn't try to go to 3/8" Std or .325" on it .

They run hella good as they come out of the box too. Very strong. I was pushing one through a 12x12 pine cant with times in the 9s....... And that saw was on its first tank......

Is there such a thing as a six tooth picco rim? It seems like it would be too small to fit a drum and a bearing inside of.

I like rim sprockets too but honestly, there is only 1 good chain pitch to run on this machine and that's 3/8" Picco. The PS3 that ships on it is damn good and I know I wouldn't try to go to 3/8" Std or .325" on it .

They run hella good as they come out of the box too. Very strong. I was pushing one through a 12x12 pine cant with times in the 9s....... And that saw was on its first tank......
I'm running 3/8 picco on the 180 and 210. They do cut nicely.

Is there such a thing as a six tooth picco rim? It seems like it would be too small to fit a drum and a bearing inside of.
This may be exactly why there is a spur sprocket on this machine instead of a rim. It would probably run a P-7 rim ok but you wouldn't be able to lean on it at all or use the spikes. If all you used it for was small (under 6") limbs and such, I might be tempted to convert it. Ported with a P-7 I bet it would be a lil ball o fire.

advantages/disadvantages to running spur vrs rim?
Rims are cheaper to maintain long term and allow the chain to align with the bar better. They also allow a fairly easy swap should you have a need to change chain pitches or re-setup for job requirements. You might run a larger rim for limbing to gain chainspeed and zip small limbs off quicker, or keep it small if you need to bury the bar in bigger wood and want the torque back. Rims also tend to wear slower and there is more contact area with the chain.

advantages/disadvantages to running spur vrs rim?
The likelyhood of having to trash 9 inches or so of chain after a derailment is higher with one than the other.

In this instance stihl small spline I know you can get both picco and .325 rims perhaps 1/4 as well.

The chain is supported in different spots as it contacts the sprocket.

One must clear chips out of the way easier

I don't know the engineering of the power losses

There most likely is a difference in how fast the effective diameter changes

Both rims and spurs can come in a variety of qualities if you use enough suppliers.

Back