MS-250 Fuel Line Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatpikr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've never changed a fuel line on a chain saw. I have 5 saws and this is the first one to ever crack on me. Is this a complicated or simple fix? Any pointers on how to change an MS-250 fuel line is appreciated.

It is easiest to remove the carb, but not neccessary. If you have a cracked fuel line, going through the carb would be advised as crud is likely in your carb.

But, empty the tank, get some tweezers or a hook and snag the filter, and pull it out of the tank and remove it from the fuel line, then with a flat tipped screwdriver, pry up on the fuel line where it presses in the top of the tank.

Pull it out, and reinstall the new line in the reverse order.

Inserting a new fuel line into the tank on other brands can be a pain. There are a few ways to make it easier. 1st, make a mental note to where the fuel filter is situated inside the tank, then proceed. One way, is to slice one end of the new fuel line so that the end makes a long point. Shove it through the port on the tank, then with a pair of long needle nose pliers or tweesers (forsips are best), grasp the pointed tip of the line and pull it through. Snip off the sliced piece, and reinstall the filter, and adjust the fuel filter into its proper place in the tank.

Last edited:
Inserting a new fuel line into the tank can be a pain. There are a few ways to make it easier. 1st, make a mental note to where the fuel filter is situated inside the tank, then proceed. One way, is to slice one end of the new fuel line so that the end makes a long point. Shove it through the port on the tank, then with a pair of long needle nose pliers or tweesers (forsips are best), grasp the pointed tip of the line and pull it through. Snip off the sliced piece, and reinstall the filter, and adjust the fuel filter into its proper place in the tank.

You are way over your head there..,.

I got the fuel filter off and decided I better ask a few more questions-- the grommeted fuel line looks like it would be a bugger to remove and replace with the carb in place. How much is involved with removing the carb? It looks like (from a youtube video) that the grommet has a flat edge to line up correctly-- I'm guessing so the fuel filter will lie in the tank properly.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I need it.

It is easiest to remove the carb, but not neccessary. If you have a cracked fuel line, going through the carb would be advised as crud is likely in your carb.

But, empty the tank, get some tweezers or a hook and snag the filter, and pull it out of the tank and remove it from the fuel line, then with a flat tipped screwdriver, pry up on the fuel line where it presses in the top of the tank.

Pull it out, and reinstall the new line in the reverse order.

Not long ago I posted detailed instructions on dissasembly and reassembly of the 025/250 while replacing the fuel line.

On this particular saw it is a breeze. head to your dealer and get the proper one for this saw. Like about $4.00 Remove line from carb.Drain the tank. At this point I cut the old line and pulled the old line through the tank.I took some grease and place it around the new line that goes into the tank.It will take some stretching but should pop right in. Check length of line and connect gas filter, then connect to carb. Nothing to it.Ken

On this particular saw it is a breeze. head to your dealer and get the proper one for this saw. Like about $4.00 Remove line from carb.Drain the tank. At this point I cut the old line and pulled the old line through the tank.I took some grease and place it around the new line that goes into the tank.It will take some stretching but should pop right in. Check length of line and connect gas filter, then connect to carb. Nothing to it.Ken

Check the length? its a molded fuel line to the exact length needed....why check length?

and i promise its more like 13-15 bucks....:D

Not long ago I posted detailed instructions on dissasembly and reassembly of the 025/250 while replacing the fuel line.

Can you give me a search term that will bring up your thread or a direct link. Thanks. I'll take a few shots at finding it myself.

Just take a flat tipped screwdriver and flip out the old one, you'll see what you need to do.

You won't hurt it, you are replacing it any way.

Fish-- got the old line out. Carb still in place. Do I get the grommet in place from outside tank inward or visa versa?

Just take a flat tipped screwdriver and flip out the old one, you'll see what you need to do.

You won't hurt it, you are replacing it any way.

Just try to work it in from the top, start the grommet in on one edge, and work in in with a small screwdriver, the lines are pretty tough,
but still be gentle. The flat edge of the grommet lines up with the seam in the tank.

I want to thank you, Sagebrush, Ramrod and the others for helping me with this. I've got the carburetor off with minimal destruction:smile2: One last question-- am I suppose to lubricate the grommet before insertion into the tank -- one source says don't use oil. I guess the consideration is degradation of the rubber. What should I use -- how bout a little 2 stroke oil? Someone mentioned WD40. I'll pay attention to the flat edge on the grommet.

Just try to work it in from the top, start the grommet in on one edge, and work in in with a small screwdriver, the lines are pretty tough,
but still be gentle. The flat edge of the grommet lines up with the seam in the tank.

Back