MS 261 C-M cold start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensent

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
261 c have only run 4 tanks of gas and that when weather was 70 to 80 degrees. Temp today 30 degrees and all I got was a pop on two tries to start it. I think it is flooded and would pull and read the plug but I do not know how to remove the plug. Any advise would be appreciated. Dealer is a 60mi trip.
Thanks
Tom

It will take a number of pulls in cold weather, just like any saw. Once it pops, flip the switch to "run" then pull till it starts.

Started mine in -15 F recently. Took a bit, but started just fine. Way easier than the bigger saws!

To clean the air filter you need to remove the air shroud (plastic top cover) with a flat head scrench (3xfasteners). Twist air filter to remove. Above that is a spark plug lead cap that can be pulled off to expose spark plug. Remove with scrench. Owners manual is good to read but you should familiarise yourself with your saw which is a top model that has long service life if minor maintenence is done. Sounds like you flooded the saw...no problem.

Just an observation, you last ran the saw with temps in the 80's, now temps in the 30's. Did you leave the same gas in the saw during that time period? Could be 2-4 months plus of letting fuel sit in saw.

The gas may have gone bad since you last ran it. Is the fuel fresh ?

My 2 cents

Took saw to dealer today. It was flooded due to dirty air filter. New filter and new plug and it runs like a champ. Brad is right. The saw should be in start position until it is running. There is no choke just a fast idle position for starting.
Thanks
Tom

Latest posts

Back