MS 261 Warm Restart issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNail101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HELP! I have been using a friends MS261 that functioned flawlessly for about 20 hrs and then GOOD heck YOU stop to fuel the thing and cant get it started until it has almost completely cooled off. Now Ive been using my Old 044 in its place, my 044 starts and runs VERY well in even HOTTER conditions than the MS261 was working under. I have seen the gas in the tank of the 044 bubble and fizz like you dropped an Alka- Seltzer in the tank and I’m clueless what to do with the MS261 it was new with probably less than 40 hrs on the saw!

A couple thoughts. One, are you running it all the way out of fuel? I've heard a few guys say that at the first sign of low fuel (leans out for a second) stop cutting and refuel. Second, are you letting it idle before shutting down? Obviously if it's outta gas you might not have enough left to idle for a minute or two, but if you've been cutting hard, letting it cool at idle before hitting the switch can help with restarting.

261 or 261cm? Make sure the fuel you're using is not old (meaning not winter blend fuel). I find some non ethanol "rec fuel" is from the previous season, even when it just came out of the pump. Winter blend fuel will boil in the summer heat, due to higher butane content. Also, as mentioned above, sometimes a CM saw needs to be put in the "start" position, even when warm. Especially if you ran it out of fuel.

FWIW, I store my gas can and saws in the shade, so the fuel temps stay lower. I was just cutting in sunny 95* temps two weeks ago with my 462cm and my 261cm. Ran both out of fuel and neither had hot restart issues. Was using fresh 89 E10 pump gas.

HELP! I have been using a friends MS261 that functioned flawlessly for about 20 hrs and then GOOD heck YOU stop to fuel the thing and cant get it started until it has almost completely cooled off. Now Ive been using my Old 044 in its place, my 044 starts and runs VERY well in even HOTTER conditions than the MS261 was working under. I have seen the gas in the tank of the 044 bubble and fizz like you dropped an Alka- Seltzer in the tank and I’m clueless what to do with the MS261 it was new with probably less than 40 hrs on the saw!
261 or 261cm? Make sure the fuel you're using is not old (meaning not winter blend fuel). I find some non ethanol "rec fuel" is from the previous season, even when it just came out of the pump. Winter blend fuel will boil in the summer heat, due to higher butane content. Also, as mentioned above, sometimes a CM saw needs to be put in the "start" position, even when warm. Especially if you ran it out of fuel.

FWIW, I store my gas can and saws in the shade, so the fuel temps stay lower. I was just cutting in sunny 95* temps two weeks ago with my 462cm and my 261cm. Ran both out of fuel and neither had hot restart issues. Was using fresh 89 E10 pump gas.
Thanks I usually don’t let the saw run out of fuel as cutting Mesquite gets hard pretty fast so you take breaks a little more often. I’m usually refueling around a Half tank and refilling my oil as well. The saw might be shut down so one can drag limbs out of the way and get to some larger limbs. I’m running 93 in the 261 at the request of the owner. Personally at $27.00 per gallon NOT for me. I have used 91 ( from the Gas station ) with good results in the 044, still see lots of bubbles in the tank if you refuel at 1/2 tank. I also place oil and gas in the shade for better results.

Are you trying to start it hot with the throttle at the idle position? If it doesn't start after about 3 pulls it isn't going to unless you open the throttle manually or set it to the fast idle position.
I will definitely give that a try , Ive used my 044 since 1999 and it JUST GETS it done day in and day out. I do like the weight of 261 over the 044 UNLESS I’m cutting logs that are over 6 inches and up to 30 inches.

Ooook I thought that would flood the engine . I have used every other Idea including the compression release, I will give it a try as well.
I'm not a huge expert on 2 smokes like some on here but that is what my dealer told me and it's worked to solve hot start issues in the computer saws for me.

It will only flood if you close the choke, which you shouldn't do with a hot saw. Almost every saw has a method of holding the throttle partially open with no choke just for hot starting, usually called a fast idle position. Older saws had a button on the rear handle that could be pressed to hold the throttle open, it was too simple and everyone understood it so now it's gone and replaced by combining it with the choke lever which no one seems to understand. Usually to get to the fast idle/no choke position you have to first go to the choke on and then to the fast idle position which removes the choke but leaves the throttle latched open until the throttle is blipped. On some saws, like the box store Poulans, you have to pull the choke out and then push it right back in to get to the fast idle stage. I have a HUGE amount of trouble trying to get owners to understand this and suggesting that they read the owners manual doesn't seem to help.

I'm not a huge expert on 2 smokes like some on here but that is what my dealer told me and it's worked to solve hot start issues in the computer saws for me.
I will try just about anything as I do enjoy the 044 and want to like the 261 as I would rather wear out their saw when I’m donating my labor. Thanks

.... hmmm..... I had kinda hot start issues with my MS661C saw. it really had to cool off before I could start it again. Had my solenoid valve and pick up filter changed and since then NO issues. Not sure if that's your case but ...

John

plop.plop, fizz,fizz, oh what a relief it is.

Even 15 seconds of idle time seems to help after some long cuts or a whole tank. Even when climbing I'll let my 562 idle hanging off my saddle for a little bit before shutting off after big facecuts/back cuts.

Latest posts

Back