MS 290 Problems...eBay JUNK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch25

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So....two weeks ago today I win a MS 290 off ebay....

Guy says it is only a year old but wouldn't start second season.

Wait around for a WEEK after payment before he ships the saw...

I got it today and after about 45 seconds I know why it wouldn't run...90 psi compression...

Pull the exhaust...cooked! Both rings are stuck and the cylinder is VERY scored from what I could see through the plug hole...

PLUS...he pulled the bucking dogs off the front and didn't ship it with a plug either!

#$@#*&$%@$(!!!!!!

What do I do with it?

Last edited:
First take a deep breath and relax!!!
You bought something off of ebay, and he did disclose it didn't run. So you bought a "parts saw". Not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth, nothing we can do to change that now. I am sorry, and it sucks, but thats what you have.
Now there are a lot of fine folks here that my have the parts sitting around, and will hook you up with them, and talk you through a rebuid.
You could even make a 390 out of it for cheap!
It's all gonna work out!

Precisely why I quit with Ebay...even when you are extremely careful, sometimes you still get burned. Sure, there's deals to be had, but I prefer Craigslist by far, it's harder to find stuff, but in my experience, the people are more honest! Good luck with the saw.

First take a deep breath and relax!!!
You bought something off of ebay, and he did disclose it didn't run. So you bought a "parts saw". Not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth, nothing we can do to change that now. I am sorry, and it sucks, but thats what you have.
Now there are a lot of fine folks here that my have the parts sitting around, and will hook you up with them, and talk you through a rebuid.
You could even make a 390 out of it for cheap!
It's all gonna work out!

Wise words...all true!

Here is the auction link...he did say it didn't run...it is pretty much mint other than a bad piston/cylinder....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360106213083

I think you're stuck with this one. It doesn't sound like he knew it was seized. Plus he sold it as is parts saw. I'm truely sorry for you though. That sucks. Been there done that, only mine was misrepresented:(

damn 265!!!!!!!!! well now swap cylinders and piston with an ms390 that will be an awesome saw when done plus it will run better than new and for less than $500

OK.....someone round me up a 390 top end so I can use this POS this weekend...the old 55V is about ready to throw in the towel!

Too dang much for a cooked saw! Like ~$255 plus shipping....

Yeah, you took it on the buisness end with this one!!!

A couple of tips for the future (we all have to learn something from this right?)

Look at those pics again. If I was a betting man, that saw has seen closer to 30 cord of wood. Look and see if you can figure out how I know that!

Precisely why I quit with Ebay...even when you are extremely careful, sometimes you still get burned. Sure, there's deals to be had, but I prefer Craigslist by far, it's harder to find stuff, but in my experience, the people are more honest! Good luck with the saw.

I got burned by Ebay real bad one time!!!!!

Funny thing is, I called the cops, the cops in the area that the guy live in (florida) and they investigated it.

Well, the cops called me and told me that they WATCHED the guy deposit the money order in the bank. They WATCHED him on servailence camera and WATCHED the transaction on the bank papers. BUT they can't do anything about it since he is using his grandmothers Bank account.

we are talking $1600 here. I was PISSED!!!!

A couple of tips for the future (we all have to learn something from this right?)

Look at those pics again. If I was a betting man, that saw has seen closer to 30 cord of wood. Look and see if you can figure out how I know that!

The bar?

I agree you're likely stuck with the saw, but the ad is definitely misleading: "carb could be gummed up...". Since the guy claims to be the original owner, he's gotta know it was cooked.

Hope it all works out. With the the knowledge and support of the good folks here, I'm sure it will.

The number one give away, Stihl bars don't wear paint of that easily. I cut better than ten cord with my 390, and the bar looked brand new.
Then he didn't even try to clean it up for pics., sends up a red flag to me.

I'll bite! How do you know? to late, I thought about bar wear but wasn't sure -dave-

Last edited:
You could only hope that jackass ran it on straight gas and didnt know. Then ran the replacement saw he buys with your money on straight gas too. :mad:

I agree you're likely stuck with the saw, but the ad is definitely misleading: "carb could be gummed up...". Since the guy claims to be the original owner, he's gotta know it was cooked.

Hope it all works out. With the the knowledge and support of the good folks here, I'm sure it will.

But he listed it "as is" "parts" also. Gotta watch this, they get sneaky!

Latest posts

Back