MS 290 wants to quit under load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcdonald

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all

New to site.

Have 12 yr-old Stihl MS 290. Never had any issues with it. Have tried to take decent care of it. Does not get constant use. Has maybe 25 hrs on it. Recently the saw has run into an issue of wanting to quit under load. I always sharpen, and or put a new chain on each season. New plug BOSCH each season. Change air filter (fleece style) and clean after every use. Rotate bar after long runs. Have always used engineered fuel (50:1) and use premium bar/chain oil. Saw starts fine. Idle's fine and rev's fine. It just wants to die when biting into a log to cut. I pull saw out of cut and it slowly catches back up to speed. Sometimes it just dies. I pull the spark plug out and it is wet. I put new plug in and got same results. For piece of mind I did a compression test on it and it was well over 180 psi on the 4th pull. Not sure if this is a clutch or fuel problem. I did have my stihl dealer sharpen the chain, the raker's look a bit low but it was running and cutting fine when I put the chain back on. It wasn't until a few cut sessions later that it started the bogging down issue. I will try a new chain, but fear I will get same result of it quiting. I did pull the idle speed down (after I encountered the issue). Borrowed freinds Stihl tach and it was registering around 3125. I put it back to 2800. In addition, both the Spark arrestor and Muffler are both very clean. Does this sound like a clutch or fuel issue? Would love to hear feed back.

Again, this saw has been great and has not had or needed any service work until now. Everything on the saw is original except chains, air filter, spark plugs and fuel filter. Clutch sprocket is now starting to show signs of wear and I do have a brand new one on hand that I will install.

Thanks kindly,
Sean M.

Try new fuel filter.
Might have something in carb, rebuild carb and see what is in there.
thanks for reply...i was thinking of putting a new carb on it. I usually just buy stihl stuff, what if I purchased a new carb off of amazon. Would you advise against it? Comes as a whole kit with new lines and such. If I buy from Stihl, I believe there are 3 types to choose from....how do I tell which kind is on my saw. the parts book lists 1127 120 0650 (HD-19C), 1127 120 0604 (HD-18C) and 1127 120 0605 (HD-21C). Would there be special markings the carb that would tell me which one it is?

Try new filter first. Check the hoses. If you are handy a carb rebuild kit is more work but cheaper. You get to see if it is gummed up with ethanol fuel over time.

Existing carb will have markings on it to match replacement or carb kit. Others here might know what you have.
thanks very much for the responses and insight

My ms290 was bogging out and a new fuel mix solved that problem. Then it became more difficult to start, and a carb rebuild kit solved that. Now it is perfect, almost like new.

Sounds like this infrequently used saw probably needs a good carb cleaning. Clean it out real good while putting in a rebuild kit. Kits off Amazon are less then $10.

Look at the fuel line closely for cracks and/or gumminess.
A new carb from your Stihl dealer is cheap.

1127 120 0604 CARBURETOR HD18A $34.01

1127 120 0605 CARBURETOR HD21A $34.01

Thanks for update. Unfortunately in Canada the oem carbs are over $100.00 each.

thanks
unfortunately, here in Canada they are over $100.00 each.

Back