MS 291 + $70 = MS 261 & NICE saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Guys let's play nice.

Around here (S W Louisiana) the MS 291 is listed at $499, I bought the MS 261 for $569.

I've participated on many different forums so I have no problem with any and all comments on a public forum, no sensitive feelings here.

Remember that I am not a 2 stroke engine guru and all I need is a reliable saw for the LONG RUN. And as far as how much I use a saw....well I live on our 900 acre farm and should have had a good saw a LONG time ago. But I do not need firewood, almost no houses down here have fireplaces, and those that do use them for ambiance (romantic evenings with wine and wife). Or I have even heard that some people will turn down their air conditioner really low in the winter just so that can light a fire.

At 59 yr old, my arms are not as strong as they used to be and with a bum lower back about all I wanted was a 12lb tool.

I doubt that I'll mod this saw as a sharp chain and the MS 261 at full rpm is just fine for what I need to do. Now that statement was from the logical need part of my brain. Heck yes I think an MS 261 with 15 - 25% more power capability would be nice to have, and yes more hp is always better esp. if reliability is not compromised.

Pictures later today, if I can get em linked in.

OK Guys let's play nice.

Around here (S W Louisiana) the MS 291 is listed at $499, I bought the MS 261 for $569.

I've participated on many different forums so I have no problem with any and all comments on a public forum, no sensitive feelings here.

Remember that I am not a 2 stroke engine guru and all I need is a reliable saw for the LONG RUN. And as far as how much I use a saw....well I live on our 900 acre farm and should have had a good saw a LONG time ago. But I do not need firewood, almost no houses down here have fireplaces, and those that do use them for ambiance (romantic evenings with wine and wife). Or I have even heard that some people will turn down their air conditioner really low in the winter just so that can light a fire.

At 59 yr old, my arms are not as strong as they used to be and with a bum lower back about all I wanted was a 12lb tool.

I doubt that I'll mod this saw as a sharp chain and the MS 261 at full rpm is just fine for what I need to do. Now that statement was from the logical need part of my brain. Heck yes I think an MS 261 with 15 - 25% more power capability would be nice to have, and yes more hp is always better esp. if reliability is not compromised.

Pictures later today, if I can get em linked in.

Sorry don't stone the messanger but I think you got the wrong saw. I believe that you would be happier with one size smaller => 241cm. If you have slight health problems the pro 40-45cc class would have been better in my eyes. Put on a narrow kerf PS3 chain and off you go....

But still you got a very nice saw!

edit: just saw the 241 isn't available in the US! Well that is bad luck!
eidt 2: just saw not even the Husqvarna 543 is available in the US! That is double bad juju!

Last edited:
I believe you will enjoy your new saw. Ported saws are fun to run, but not necessary to get the job done. If you get a chance to go to a gtg and run some ported saws, I believe you would enjoy the experience.

Back