MS 361? Dolmar 5100? decisions decisions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your dealers are that close,i stick with Stihl.i like the dolmar but 30 miles is 30 miles.

if your cutting firewood only i'd look at the ms260 and 270.they might be lighter.i know as i get older the weight gets to be more of an issue.

Forget the 260 and 270, they are outclassed by both the original options.....:greenchainsaw:

Heck, Mayor, just buy them both. That way you'd have a saw that would be perfect for the smaller stuff, and another saw that would be perfect for the bigger wood as well. If dealer location is an issue, consider a MS 270 or 280 in place of the 5100.

In any case make one of those dealers earn your business. Price is not the most important thing to me, instead it is having a dealer that is knowledgeable and responsive to my needs that keeps me coming back.

you mean "real weiner" don't you?

i know the 270 and 260 are outclassed here but he's just cutting firewood 20" and smaller.i really liked the 270 when i used it.i would think the new edition 346xp would be the ideal saw for this though.

Andy Ya should have posted a pic of it!!!!!

yep... then full wrap kit, muffler mod, oil pump mod (the stud mod is now standard) and you'll have one like mine. :givebeer:

I have to agree,,, the Dolmar is a good saw,,,, no doubt,,,,,

But I have a 361 and I run a 20 or an 18" bar and as stated previous in 22" and under wood,,,,I dont think there is a 60/50CC saw on the planet that will stay with it!!! especially with the 18" bar,,,, JMHO!!!!

Thanks gang for the replies!!

There is now a new member of my family..... (drum roll please).....and the decision goes too the left corner...wearing the orange and white.....the great....the loud....the expensive!!!......

Stihl MS 361 !!!

The dealer was out of 18" bars and the saw came with a 20"...so I'll try the 20....the deal was the saw, case, 2 bottles of oil, 2 files, nice stihl hat, tool kit....589.95 plus tax. I bought a second chain for the saw while I was there.
I called up 6 dealers and none would budge from the standard saw only price of 589.95....no options or throw ins at all.......and the last dealer which is a small shop and very old shop also, offered the package up front!. I though it was a pretty good deal. I'm happy!.

The mechanic at the shop has been there a long time.....he said "The MS 361 is my personal favorite stihl saw".

There is now a new member of my family..... (drum roll please).....and the decision goes too the left corner...wearing the orange and white.....the great....the loud....the expensive!!!......

Stihl MS 361 !!!

The dealer was out of 18" bars and the saw came with a 20"...so I'll try the 20....the deal was the saw, case, 2 bottles of oil, 2 files, nice stihl hat, tool kit....589.95 plus tax. I bought a second chain for the saw while I was there.
I called up 6 dealers and none would budge from the standard saw only price of 589.95....no options or throw ins at all.......and the last dealer which is a small shop and very old shop also, offered the package up front!. I though it was a pretty good deal. I'm happy!.

The mechanic at the shop has been there a long time.....he said "The MS 361 is my personal favorite stihl saw".

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I think you will be very happy!

Thats awesome!!!

You can always buy a 16 or 18 inch b/c for it when you feel and have the 20'' for the big jobs. I am sure you will be happy with it. I have had mine for 8 months now and I think they are worth every penny. Awesome saw!!!:clap:

Stihl MS 361 !!!

Stay away from the 20" - unless you really need it!

Or get a 16" one to compliment it......

Last edited:
I run a 20 and a 25 on my 361. The 25 is so I don't have to bend over so far, and for that occasional big cut where a 20 wont work.

I got my saw for $664 with the 20 inch bar, the QCA, case, file kit, and 2 chains. I already had the PPE so...

361 is a great saw, the anti vibration is very good and it fatigues me less to use it than the other saw I was using. So far I haven't had any major issues except the oiler needed to be turned up to run the 25 inch bar.

20 inch is a great size for the 361... 2 inches won't rob any power, adds to your flexability, and forget the upcoming "balance" argument -the saw is supposed to be slightly nose heavy.

25 is very common out here.

20 inch is a great size for the 361... 2 inches won't rob any power, adds to your flexability, and forget the upcoming "balance" argument -the saw is supposed to be slightly nose heavy.

25 is very common out here.

No kidding. I have had several logs where the 20 inch bar only cleared by about 1/4 of an inch. The saw balances and feels great with a 20, 25 is another story.

I cut all fall with a 20" bar and loved that saw. Pick up a full wrap kit, mod the muffler and (now) pick up the oiler and that will be the go to saw. REALLY!!! I cut 11 cords during basically the month of Sept. Really like the saw I wrote above. Enjoy. I cut lots of Oak in the 16-22 range and I have been pleased for the most part.
Chad

O.K., here's the feedback!

Me and my buddy went too the farm today to do some deer hunting and we took our saws along for a load of oak. He is running a ms250.....I had the new 361.
My .02!

Performance.....better than I expected....I'm sold!
Handling.... again...better than I expected.....easy too handle and well balanced.
fuel efficiency.....I started out with a full tank....we cut down and firewooded a black oak that was 18" base.....he started at the top...I started at the trunk...we met in the middle 15 minutes later.....the whole tree lay flat on the ground....all was sectioned into 14" pieces (about). I still had over 1/2 tank of fuel left. Also had a little over 1/2 tank of bar oil so I think its oiling adequately...I checked the bar and it had oil.

On a scale of 1-10 I would hafta give the Stihl MS361 a solid 10! I dont know what they could do too make it a better firewood saw!.

The husky 36 I just redone got a nice workout on some sassafrass too!!! Ran great.....seems too have plenty of power for a small saw. Great limbing saw.

As far as the bar length goes.....the 20 seems too work out good...but I still think the 18" would be the ultimate in handling.

Latest posts

Back