Ms 361 hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st... Make sure H/L are set properly.

2nd... Leave DeComp alone

3rd... 3 pulls full choke, kick full choke off and pull 'till start.

It's very easy to flood the 361 on full choke. You can listen for the gurgle of an almost start, but you can miss it.

Only exception to rule 3 and (3) full choke pulls, would be when starting from a run dry condition. In this case 5-8 pulls will prime the carb, then switch full choke off.

+ 3 (or maybe more).

Also, count the faintest indication that it wants to start as a "pop", and leave the hearing protection off!

Mine has never flooded on me!

Last edited:
Its been back to the dealer twice.The local dealer is a real good to deal with ,in fact I used to work for him many moons ago,the trouble is he is seldom there and the head mechanic and I dont get along.I always get this real condesending talk about old gas and how to crank it.

You could always call Stihl direct and speak with someone there about it. Or try another dealer.

Your FIL payed good $$$$$ for that saw and should get 100% satisfaction - demand it!

One more thing - no two;

-did that "mechanic" demonstrate that he could start it without problems?

-never try to start on the ground, always "drop-start" (with chainbrake on, and check that it works)!

It is more effective, and even safer.

My fil has an almost new ms 361 and it floods almost everytime it he cranks it.I have see other people hace the smae problem, what would be the cure?Do i need to put a different carb on it or mod the muffler?should I wait until the warrenty runs out?Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks moose

If that saw floods every time he cranks it its flooding while its sitting, other words the cylinder is loaded with fuel already. Sounds like a leaky needle valve deal to me. With the one way tank vent on that saw the fuel tank stays under pressure for quite awhile after use. A leaking needle valve under fuel pressure seeps fuel in to the clyinder till the pressure is gone. The carb can be tested very easy at the shop to see if its leaking internally. If it is leaking the problem isn't going away. If its not leaking then something else is going on..

Latest posts

Back