MS 361 not oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAXJEREMY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last time I cut any wood with this saw was during the winter, maybe 5 months ago, and I didn't have any trouble..this past weekend, I was cutting some pretty decent sized rounds, many 20 inches in diameter with a 20 in bar and notices that the saw didn't seem to be cutting right..

Removed it from the wood and the bar was hot as hell, in addition I couldn't see any oil on chain. pulled the cover and there was not much oil coming out from the oil port..maybe a couple of drips..checked the oiling holes in the bar and they were fine, and yes there was plenty of oil in the saw..I have it down at the shop right now, but I was wondering what you guys think the problem might be. Thanks.

Did you check the groove to see if the passage between the hole and chain was clear as well? I've had mine get hot when buried in oak as well, I picked up HO oiler for it. Maybe you would need to look into buying that as well.

Did you check the groove to see if the passage between the hole and chain was clear as well? I've had mine get hot when buried in oak as well, I picked up HO oiler for it. Maybe you would need to look into buying that as well.

Interestingly enough I was cutting oak...That passage looked clear to me, but maybe there was something I didn't see. Also it is set to the highest oiling setting.

well, first thing to check is the filter.

that probably would have been a good idea..Guess I didn't see how the filter would have been a problem since it was working fine the last time I used it..

that probably would have been a good idea..Guess I didn't see how the filter would have been a problem since it was working fine the last time I used it..

You could have dropped some gunk in the last time, oil level gets low and sucks to filter, then you refill and no oil.

Check & clean the full channel on the bar.

With the bar off, rev the saw and see if it is pumping oil out.

Wash the inside of the oil compartment out.

If none of this works, you will have to remove the pump.

You could have dropped some gunk in the last time, oil level gets low and sucks to filter, then you refill and no oil.

Check & clean the full channel on the bar.

With the bar off, rev the saw and see if it is pumping oil out.

Wash the inside of the oil compartment out.

If none of this works, you will have to remove the pump.

Thanks for the suggestions D&B. The first thing I checked when I saw the chain wasn't getting oil was to run it without the bar..I couldn't see it pumping anything..what do you recommend using for cleaning out the oil compartment?

..what do you recommend using for cleaning out the oil compartment?

I empty the oil and fill it about 1/2 way with mixed gas. Shake it all around then dump it into a mason jar. The jar is so I can see what kind of crap came out. I dump most of the mix back in after letting the crap settle out. Do this about 3 times.

I empty the oil and fill it about 1/2 way with mixed gas. Shake it all around then dump it into a mason jar. The jar is so I can see what kind of crap came out. I dump most of the mix back in after letting the crap settle out. Do this about 3 times.

yep. Gas, varsol, kerosene. Whatever. Flush it out a few times then put on a new filter.

You can take the pump off and flush it out with carb cleaner spray if needed

problem solved

got a call from the shop...said there was nothing wrong with the saw. no debris in the oil filter and no trouble with the pump it was putting out plenty of oil. Turns out the issue was with the bar that I was running. Evidently the oil ports on the Frostbite bar don't line up properly with the oiler on the saw. Guy recommended I put a Stihl bar on..anyone else had this experience before?

got a call from the shop...said there was nothing wrong with the saw. no debris in the oil filter and no trouble with the pump it was putting out plenty of oil. Turns out the issue was with the bar that I was running. Evidently the oil ports on the Frostbite bar don't line up properly with the oiler on the saw. Guy recommended I put a Stihl bar on..anyone else had this experience before?

If it's close you can grind out the oil holes on the bar to make them line up better with the oil slot. Might also just be a case of making sure you pull up on the bar before tightening bar nuts. The bar stud slot on the bar might be a little sloppy and if it droops down the oil hole isn't lined up

Thanks for the suggestions D&B. The first thing I checked when I saw the chain wasn't getting oil was to run it without the bar..I couldn't see it pumping anything..what do you recommend using for cleaning out the oil compartment?

Interesting they got it to pump without the bar on and when you tried it no oil came out.

I'd pull the bar off when you get it back from the shop and see how much oil does come out. You could even do it at the shop.

If it's close you can grind out the oil holes on the bar to make them line up better with the oil slot. Might also just be a case of making sure you pull up on the bar before tightening bar nuts. The bar stud slot on the bar might be a little sloppy and if it droops down the oil hole isn't lined up

Good point!

Got my saw back today, new 20 inch oilmatic bar and it throwing oil like crazy now...I guess when I was looking at the oil port and ran it with the bar off, the amount of oil that was coming out which I thought wasn't much, was normal..

Anyway, can't wait to put it to the test..may take the old bar and follow your recommendation and open up those oil holes. thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back