MS 361 not oiling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 361 puts out just over half a tank for every tank of fuel, and with the oiliomatic system that is enough.

I never considered the output a problem, but it might be with "offbrand" bars and chain.......
+1! That's how much mine is using bar oil also. At first I thought it was a little skimpy compared to my Macs and Echo, but the saw seems to run perfectly that way.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
Got a new 361 a month ago. My other 2 with the oiler set on the lowest setting use a tank of oil to a tank of gas. The new one is set full open and goes 2 tanks of gas to 1 of oil. This problem is not an isolated issue. Either pump specs were changed or there is a run of poor pumps in saws.

We went thru a similar issue a number of years ago with crank seals for 026. A high # of seal failures over a 2 year period. Offical "talk" was user abuse. Finally it was changed to a bad run of seals installed in new saws. I expect to see a similar responce regarding 361 oil pumps in the future.

I've never seen a stock 361 use more than 2/3 a tank of oil per tank of gas... and usually closer to 1/2 tank.

The pump spec's have never changed, and it's so brutally simple it's hard to have anything go wrong.

The reason whey you hear more issue with 361's than say 460's (same pump, slighly different output) is that a heck of a lot more 361's get sold...

Is this the 100th "361 not oiling" thread of the year ?
Why don't we start a new site for this, seems to happen quite often.

www.my361doesntoil.com

If you guys write when that saw actually does oil, we will have less threads.
Oh now you did it the hole Stihl army will be after you lol! But I have found in my limited experience that both Jred/Husky and Stihls in the newer saw's put out less oil? I find about 3/4 tank to my 2159 with the oiler turned up all the way my friends 361 is the same. But then the newer 361 my have a problem just don't think any one on this Sight except a few would dare speak ill of a Stihl!

361, 16'' bar, oiler at E mark: +-half tank per tank of fuel

361, 25'' bar, oiler at full: 3/4 of tank per tank of fuel

sprays a similar line when cutting so ok for me.

with stock bar lenght
024, used to be the same
192, used to be the same
026, err have to look at it something's wrong

Stihl, Husky and Oregon combocanister: half oil qty versus fuel qty

guess it is supposed to be that way,

it's so brutally simple

I just pulled out the receipt from the saw shop, and it states that they "ran the saw and oil came out ok" . So, Im thinking they never really fixed the problem in the first place?

how much did you pay them to run your saw?.....do you ever read your receipts?

Back