MS 361 opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
West Texas said:
Well I have to disagree with the pack on this subject. "A" 361 is barely acceptable. But, two of them is just about right. :laugh: :laugh:

lololol, that was a good one Tex, ya ole sucker. My brother bought a 361 off me and its the 1st new saw he's bought in 20 years. He loves that thing.....................

16gauge said:
Good choice. The 361 is a pretty sweet saw.
Ditto! :rockn:

fishhuntcutwood said:
And don't let anyone tell you you can't run a full wrap on it!:laugh:

(That's for you SawTroll, my good friend. ;) )
:jawdrop: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Good to see that I am not completely forgotten, even though I have been away for some days.....

I use 15" and 18" bars on mine, with no full wrap and no "dawgs" - and it is just right for what I do.

Your 361 isn't a nimble firewood saw any more, with the long bars and all the add-ons, but I am sure it is just right for what you are doing with it...... and I have seen a picture of your saw with an 18" bar. :)

Last edited:
Sounds good, it came with the RM2 low kickback chain on it. When this is worn out I will replace with some RS. Used it again today; I can tell its starting to break in a little...even more power now :jawdrop:

If you are imoressed with that RM2 crap wait till you throw some RS on there. I personally would just throw out the safety chain and spend the 20 bucks on a RS chain.

:bang:
BostonBull said:
If you are imoressed with that RM2 crap wait till you throw some RS on there. I personally would just throw out the safety chain and spend the 20 bucks on a RS chain.

Yea, I will ditch the safety chain when its dull and just get a new RS or 2. Not gonna waste 5 secs sharpening a safety chain up :bang:

ms361 better than ms360? why?

How many of you have also run the ms360 and what makes the ms361 better than the 360? I know it has the steel dampner springs, a redesigned air filter and the tooless fuel and oil caps are not a biggie.

Thoughts?

WoodTick007 said:
How many of you have also run the ms360 and what makes the ms361 better than the 360? I know it has the steel dampner springs, a redesigned air filter and the tooless fuel and oil caps are not a biggie.

Thoughts?

Well, it's better for all the reasons you mentioned. I think (at least it feels to me)that the 361 has a more user friendly powerband.

WoodTick007 said:

Thoughts?
Well not everyone thinks the 361 is better. The last 360 I sold was sitting right beside a 361 and the customer took the 360 based solely on one reason. He said he really didn't like the spring system, preferred the rubber buffer system. I wasn't going to argu with him. Everyone to their own I guess. I have a 360 and my brother has the 361. The 361 is a smoother saw hands down. We haven't run them side by side so I can't say which one cuts faster, will do and let ya know.....

WoodTick007 said:
Could you please elaborate?

It's got a wider powerband. A more useable powerband. A saw (or any engine) will typically perform optimally at a certain rpm or power setting. Out of that range, and the engine stalls or bogs and you lose your ability to do work. The 361 feels to me to have a wider range over which the saw is able to productively work. You don't have to fight it and try to keep it in it's "sweet spot" to the same extent as the 360. And that's not taking anything away from the 360. It's a fine saw.

Jeff

Yep, buy the RS, and when you file it don't go any more than .030" on the rakers, this saw cuts with RPM's and horsepower, not with torque like the older saws. Once I figured out to follow the recommendations instead of listening to family members I found it cut plenty fast. It's not your father's 041 Farm Boss...

The 361 has a completely new engine design, with 4 channel porting vs. the 2 channel on the older Sthls, including the 036/360.

I think it is fair to say that the engine characteristics of the 361 are more like the Husky xp saws and the better Dolmars, than like the traditional Stihls.
I am no expert on this, but I believe that it means better acceleration, and that the torque and power output doesn't fall off as rapidly above max power output rpms, and below max torque rpms. (?)

I had a 360 and it was a gutsy little saw but the palms ate it too quick. They have a little pin the break band sits on, well that was corroded off/gone in a month and hence no chain break.

I bogged it and inserted a screw for the break band to grab .... then traded it for 440, they Stihl gave me reasonable money for it. :)

If the 361 is anything like a 360 it's a top little worker

Latest posts

Back