MS 361 or MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not worried about vibes.........atleast not to the point of buying a saw only for low vibes.

My point also, not everyone cares about the vibes, I don't. I have read that the 440 vibrates like hell but I can use mine for hours.....now the older saws are different.

The 460 is designed to be a professional timber falling saw...

The 361 is a midrange professional saw...

Both have price tags that are not very homeowner friendly.

A modded 361 will not have the grunt a 460 has... ever.

Get a 361 and be done with it.

Gary

Bingo!

And the 361 will pull a 24" just fine. ;)

A slight side-step, there is absolutely no felt wibes in the 372xp, in the cut, and little out of it, with my Arthritis riddled fingers - it can't get better than that......:D :rockn: :rockn:

The 361 is also really good in the cut, but not as good out of it (doesn't matter much though, as it then is in my "good" hand only)......

The 372 is smooth, no question about it, smooth as the 441, close but nope. See Sawtroll Stihl uses bigger srpings and buffers on the housing, heck you saw the pics. I will give ya this though in all fairness, both are very smooth,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Not worried about vibes.........atleast not to the point of buying a saw only for low vibes.

Vibe is no concern, cool. Sounds like to me in your mind you want the 460. I personally like the bushing system on that saw, it feels solid, much more so than the 441. That system has been used for years and years. So time to quit driving ya self silly and go get the 460. I got the older version, the 046. Its about 10-11 years old now, never seen a repair to date, they are well built saws and relaible as can be.

But if you have to act like the saw is that bad on the back and you are hurting so much, you can't...small price to pay i guess! :laugh: :laugh:

Not tonite honey, my back hurts. Hell he may get the second saw by the end of September,LOL

If he is worried about vibes then he wants the 441...

No need to, the saws I mentioned are more than good enough in that regard, and "no-one" needs the weight of the 441, when they can avoid it - the power to weight of that one brings us back to the Partner 7700 from about 1985 ....... :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I will accept the weight (but maybe not the "fat-ass" design) - if and when the 461 comes out, and is basically the same saw......

Last edited:
I ran my muffler modded 361 w/20" bar and woods ported 460 w/25" bar both this past weekend. Both bars were buried in >30" Oak. Yes the 460 is ported but man what a saw. If you don't mind the weight, get the 460 and a factory dual port muffler. You WILL love that saw. It's not heavy and has plenty of power to run a 28" bar on a every day basis. Nothing wrong with the vibes either. It runs plenty smooth for me. Now with that said, the 361 is an amazing runner once you open up the muffler. I vote the 460 w/25" bar and a ported 260 for the little stuff.

The 372 is smooth, no question about it, smooth as the 441, close but nope. See Sawtroll Stihl uses bigger srpings and buffers on the housing, heck you saw the pics. I will give ya this though in all fairness, both are very smooth,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

What is the differense between nil-to-no vibes and no-to-nil vibes??????? :blob2: :blob2:

Last edited:
No need to, the saws I mentioned are more than good enough in that regard, and "no-one" needs the weight of the 441, when they can avoid it - the power to weight of that one brings us back to the Partner 7700 from about 1985 ....... :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I will accept the weight (but maybe not the "fat-ass" design) - if and when the 461 comes out, and is basically the same saw......

I'm sure somebody will take your 372 in on a trade for a nice new 441, you will have better odds because yours is not the humpback cripple most are:biggrinbounce2:

The 441 vibes in the tests at full throttle under load are 3.2 front handle and 3.3 rear handle. The 372 vibes in the tests at full throttle under load are 2.0 front handle and 3.1 rear handle. The 441 shows lower vibes out of the cut at idle and full throttle. But, as SawTroll has said, the tests measure the frequency but not the force of the vibes. So I take it that the tests are certainly not the last word on smooth, but are some indication. Only way is to run the saws for a day or a week. The older Stihls such as the 44 and 46 vibed more, but weren't too bad, except for old guys like me who get tired easy.

You are totally right, as far as I am consented, and you probably read some of my posts before you joined here - I never believed those numbers told the whole story, but in some countries they are about to outlaw some saw models from pro use (Dolmar 7900 etc), based on those numbers - totally imbecile actions imo.......

The vibe frequency numbers is just a part in the eqation - the vibe dampening is much more important - but the end result is a combination.

Last edited:
I ran my muffler modded 361 w/20" bar and woods ported 460 w/25" bar both this past weekend. Both bars were buried in >30" Oak. Yes the 460 is ported but man what a saw. If you don't mind the weight, get the 460 and a factory dual port muffler. You WILL love that saw. It's not heavy and has plenty of power to run a 28" bar on a every day basis. Nothing wrong with the vibes either. It runs plenty smooth for me. Now with that said, the 361 is an amazing runner once you open up the muffler. I vote the 460 w/25" bar and a ported 260 for the little stuff.
Don't mind the weight, I used my late Grandpa's 031Av for years, its not light by any means at 16 lbs, this is what swayed me toward the MS460. Maybe someday I will have a 260 and 361..................now I'm dreaming. For now I think a MS460 and my Crapsman 42cc(currently 18" bar) with a 16" bar will do(until it blows chunks).

Last edited:
Don't mind the weight, I used my late Grandpa's 031Av for years, its not light by any means at 16 lbs, this is what swayed me toward the MS460. Maybe someday I will have a 260 and 361..................now I'm dreaming. For now I think a MS460 and my Crapsman 42cc(currently 18" bar) with a 16" bar will do(until it blows chunks).

Get the one that fits most of your wood for starters, and then move from there if you need to, or just want to.

For a 16-18" bar, the MS361 is perfect for most people, but if you don't mind the weight (or the vibes), the 460 sure will cut faster, with an 8 pin rim.....:yoyo: :yoyo:

With longer bars, the difference will be greater.......

Last edited:
Bingo!

And the 361 will pull a 24" just fine. ;)

I agree. I talked myself into a 460 when the local dealer had a nice sell going on. More weight/power than I need, and man is it thirsty. I took it back and traded for a 361. I run 24" with full-skip for firewood. I fell and buck Ponderosa pine up to about 15-18". The 361 has power to spare.

Now my work saw is a 7900. It's noticeably more powerful than a 460. So if you're intent on a brute (not Brutus) saw which is lighter, more powerful and less expensive than a 460, then don't forget the Dolmar.

The 441 vibes in the tests at full throttle under load are 3.2 front handle and 3.3 rear handle. The 372 vibes in the tests at full throttle under load are 2.0 front handle and 3.1 rear handle. The 441 shows lower vibes out of the cut at idle and full throttle. But, as SawTroll has said, the tests measure the frequency but not the force of the vibes. So I take it that the tests are certainly not the last word on smooth, but are some indication. Only way is to run the saws for a day or a week. The older Stihls such as the 44 and 46 vibed more, but weren't too bad, except for old guys like me who get tired easy.

Well I haven't runem both all day long but what little I have run them to me they are both smooth, me giving the 441 a slight edge. These frequency tests are done with a machine I assume, my tests are done with my arms, the machines that count. I say they are both plenty smooth.

The 460, with the better muff cover, once broken-in, will happily pull a 32" with full comp, even in oak, at least mine does, also likes the 24" and 20" bars too.

On a side note, my 460 also doubles as my small diameter milling saw, under 20", again, no problems.

Treat yourself later on to the 361 or a Dolmar 5100 for a limber.:clap: :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back