ms 390 mods what are worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonescrub

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been reading some of the forums and it seems that few like the ms 390.
Well i bought one after hurricane Rita and I have been using it to help make me some money on the side, I just cut the downed trees.
Well any way i like my ms 390 I have a 24" bar and it does well with what I use it for. I have a poulan with a 14" for smaller jobs.
Anyway just wondering what mods are worth it for the MS 390 I have emailed Dean with Washington hot saws and he told me the mods that were available for this saw.
Just wondering what y'all think was worth it?

thanks
Chris

Go with a muffler mod. just do a search on 029 muffler mods and you will find it. Not hard to do with a dremel with a cutting wheel then smooth off with a file.

The 390 muffler is a beatch to get apart, however it can be done. You'll have to uncrimp along the factory seam to get it apart, I used a screw driver, don't forget to wear gloves! Oh yeah, a sharp chain goes a long way.

Well since you asked, all I'd do on that saw would be a muffler mod. That'll liven that saw up nicely. And here's why I wouldn't go further-do you want to put $250 of mods into a $400 saw?

Before I go any further in this, let me state that I think the the 390 is a fine saw in it's intended niche. I owned a 310 and was decently happy with it. But modding a 390 is like souping up a Ford Taurus. It'll work, and it'll go faster, but wouldn't you rather soupe up a Mustang? I guess it's personal preference, but if it were me, and I was going to make the investment into a nicely modded saw, I'd think about starting with a bit more suitable platform on which to mod. (361,440,460, etc). You'll get the 390 modded, and it'll still get outcut by a 440 with a $30 muffler mod, or an equally modded 361. For the money of the 390, and it's full mod, you could be into a stock 440 that'll cut better, weigh the same, and be more accepting of the same mods you intend for the 390.

That's just my opinion, since you asked.

And of course, welcome to AS!

Jeff

Jeff got a little wordy, but I agree completely. Opening the muffler outlet and then readjusting the carb will help tremendously. Additional gains after that will be substantially more expensive and not very noticable.

thanks for the replies, I am new to the whole chainsaw mod thing and just wanted some people that really have more of a clue than i do. Personally i think i will go with a muffler mod and see how it goes from there. not planning on spending a fortune.

well did a search for the muffler mods and it looks like i will be breaking out the dremel. i am refererencing this article http://arborist.************/showthread.php?t=15986

thanks for the help.

will post pics

460Ted, I can have the muffler off , modded and back on the saw in 15 min. Then off to the wood pile to reset the carb and read the plug after I run a tank through it. If you are pulling the muffler all apart your wasting time.

ccicora said:
460Ted, I can have the muffler off , modded and back on the saw in 15 min. Then off to the wood pile to reset the carb and read the plug after I run a tank through it. If you are pulling the muffler all apart your wasting time.

Chris, are you doing any cutting on the muffler?

Glad somebody started this thread I want to mod my 390 this way too. Sharp chain and 25" bar it works great...a muffler mod might make it better. And no I don't expect it to cut with a 440 if I did I would have bought one. My biggest concern is screwing something up...I could never get the muffler all teh way off adn apart on my 025. That and finding somebody who will readjust teh carb for more air(richen it up) I don't think my Stihl dealer will want to do thios even though it is out of warranty.
J.D.

rahtreelimbs said:
Chris, are you doing any cutting on the muffler?

yes i think i will get my dremel out tommorrow and cut off the recessed part behind the screen liek in the link that i referenced. The 290 and 390 mufflers are the same.

Rich, Yep and the scary part is I have one sitting in the shop to be done. So after some food (gotta keep up this figure) out I'll go and I'll even take some pics...

Ok here we go....
First pic is two saws Left one done a year ago right one I just about to do.

Second pic parts before cutting.

third Parts after

Final assembly.

Remember you will need to richen up the saw a bit. This one needed nothing on the low but 3/8 out on the high.

Last edited:
ccicora said:
Ok here we go....

Remember you will need to richen up the saw a bit. This one needed nothing on the low but 3/8 out on the high.

3/8 out on high? referenced to what? Are you talking with the limiter caps in out out. If out, that's very very lean....

skwerl said:
Jeff got a little wordy, but I agree completely. Opening the muffler outlet and then readjusting the carb will help tremendously. Additional gains after that will be substantially more expensive and not very noticable.

skwerl

i thought you had 2 400.00 saw's modded. do you just give advice and not follow your own.

Ken,
There's a big difference between a homeowner with a 390 cutting a few sticks of firewood and a climber using a saw while climbing in order to make a living. What's your point? What does my advice here have to do with me paying to modify saws with which I make my living? Yeah, all my saws are modified. But modified saws aren't for everyone and not all saws are suitable for modding.

skwerl said:
Additional gains after that will be substantially more expensive and not very noticable.

yea, i guess your right.......:laugh: then maybe you should try another builder.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back