ms 440 R...back again ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really trying to learn my saws. Whats the difference between the 440, 440R, and 441?
If I wanted to buy a saw which one is better? Or should I just look for a 460?

Thanks, Joe

The 440 (and earlier 044) has a standard engine, a rubber mount AV, and a half wrap top handle. The 044/440R is the same body with a 3/4 wrap top handle, a large (PNW) side cover, and dual dogs with roller. The 441 has a strato engine, a wider heavier body with spring AV mounts for smoother running. In the US the 441s are all Z models now, which have heavier AV springs. The 441 had a plain and CQ (comfort-quickstop) option, and now only comes in M-tronic. The 441 is a wider and heavier saw than the 440, and never really caught on with fallers around here, but they are smooth and cleaner burning. The 441 also has the R option with the 3/4 wrap top handle, a large (PNW) side cover, HO oil pump, and dual dogs with roller.

Better depends on what you want. I have owned the 044R, 441R and a 460. I did not like the 460 because they have really high vibration. Good power, but they really tired me out in a hurry. I swapped that saw out with an 044R and I added a CDN dual port 460 muffler cover to up the power. With that setup it has nearly the same power of the stock 460, but far less vibration, it is narrower and weighs less. I recently traded my 044R for a 441RZ because I have tendonitis in my left arm and I wanted even less vibration. I also found that cutting with the 044 all day tired me out. The 441 is less tiring to use, but it weighs about the same as a 460 with less power. The 460R model has a standard engine and rubber AV mounts, and also comes with a HO oiler, 3/4 wrap, dual dogs and large side cover. The new 461 has smoother rubber AV mounts and has a newly quad ported strato engine. It has about the same vibration as the 440.

Last edited:
I wonder what distributors have them. They were not listed as available with Stihl Northwest when I checked last night.

Yah, I plugged it into the Stihl USA web site just now and none of the big western dealers have them (yet). They are really popular here so I would expect them to get picked up in the PNW. This is the second time they have come back from the dead in the US. Great saws though. Most popular falling saws of any here that I have seen in the woods.

Windthrown,
Thanks for the breakdown. I've been watching craigslist pretty close.

From your description, it seems like a 461R would be the way to go for hp, but has more vibration then the 441R. Vibration doesn't bother me to much yet, I usually don't cut all day. I mostly get tree service drop offs. Sometimes I get smaller manageable size pieces. But most of it 24" and up.

Windthrown,
Thanks for the breakdown. I've been watching craigslist pretty close.

From your description, it seems like a 461R would be the way to go for hp, but has more vibration then the 441R. Vibration doesn't bother me to much yet, I usually don't cut all day. I mostly get tree service drop offs. Sometimes I get smaller manageable size pieces. But most of it 24" and up.

Well, here in the wild west R models are very common. Not sure about how common they are in the upper Midwest. If you have all 24" plus size logs to buck and noodle, a 70-75cc saw is best. I would hunt for a good 044/440 if I was you. 461R is gonna cost a lot more. I had to look for a good 441R for a couple of years. There are many that got dropped and driven over, or plain worn out. The 441s are also not very popular here. My 044R fell in my lap for cheap when a logger needed money within an hour. It was older, but well cared for. Cost me $200 with a 32 inch bar. I ran a 28 on it most of the tine. I recently traded the 044R with the 32 in a 3 way swap for my 441R with a 24 which is a lot newer.

Back