MS 440 Sparkplug coil wire and boot repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Don't know whether to blame this on my fat mitts or the previous owner wearing out the original boot, but bottom line: It's broke!

My non-mechanical skills are pretty well documented, yet I did find the entire coil wire and boot kit replacement kit on EBAY for about $6.00.
Is this a simple fix or must I take it to my local yokel Stihl Guru?

Thanks,
Reg
20170502_210021.jpg
1493779294324615063097.jpg

Twist the lead wire out of the coil/module, screw the new one back in. I add a dab of silicone after the install for up here we have a damp climate,very close to the ocean and I see many cases of wire corrosion if moisture gets into that juncture.

Twist the lead wire out of the coil/module, screw the new one back in. I add a dab of silicone after the install for up here we have a damp climate,very close to the ocean and I see many cases of wire corrosion if moisture gets into that juncture.
Great...ordered the part last night!

dielectric ?
  • Helps to prevent voltage loss and arcing with spark plugs
  • Maximizes spark and fire power
  • Prevents fusing of spark plug boots
We sell it to plow drivers for the electrical connections between the plow and the truck. Protects against corrosion and also allows the better flow of power.

• Helps to prevent voltage loss and arcing with spark plugs
  • Maximizes spark and fire power
  • Prevents fusing of spark plug boots
We sell it to plow drivers for the electrical connections between the plow and the truck. Protects against corrosion and also allows the better flow of power.
Yes, I use a lot of dielectric grease, wasn`t sure if that was what you meant in your post.
Dietetic grease in the boot helps a great deal as well.

Just your spelling of the name threw me off.

Yes, I use a lot of dielectric grease, wasn`t sure if that was what you meant in your post.

Just your spelling of the name threw me off.
BTW...is it possible to replace the wire from the coil without removing the coil?
Reason I'm asking is I'd be lost trying to regap the flywheel...which I heard is needed if I remove ze coil!:reading:

Take the coil out and replace wire. Replace the screws/wires on the coil loosely. fit a business card betwix the coil and flywheel. Rotate flywheel until the magnet pulls the coil into the flywheel. Tighten the screws and rotate the flywheel to free the card, and remove it. You are gaped and good to go. Mike

BTW...is it possible to replace the wire from the coil without removing the coil?
Reason I'm asking is I'd be lost trying to regap the flywheel...which I heard is needed if I remove ze coil!:reading:

Might be possible Reggie but I always take them off to replace the high tension lead. Follow rupedoggy`s advice, he is spot on.

Back