MS 440 vs MS 361 dilema

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw_Maniac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want an MS 440 for logging because my 066 Arctic is too big and heavy to be carrying around and cutting down trees that are usually only 12-18 inches. And the 066 is a monster for limbing (and all trees must be topped off).

I used my MS 260 last year working for theis same company, but back then it was 90% limbing because most of the trees had already been falled and there were a lot of tops that needed to be limbed as firewood logs.

I have a 038 magnum, but after the last time I had to have it repaired, I think I'm going to sell it as long as I can still get $300 (CAN) for it, rather than wait for it to need to be repaired again. I'm going to hold off on selling it until I get a mid-range saw to replace it though. I sold 2 other stihl saws last winter that I never replaced with new saws. (But who needs more than 2 or 3 saws anyway?). :angel:

Anyway the MS 440 with 20" bar is $899 (CAN) and that really freaks me out. I can get an MS 361 with 20" bar for $699 (CAN) but I don't know if the 361 has the muscle to do what I want to do with it.

Normally I'm able to carry 2 saws with me so I'd usually switch saws depending on if I'm falling a tree or limbing. I'm on foot all day in the bush when I'm working for this company, so I need single saw that has the power to fall trees but isn't to heavy to limb the tree out.

I know a lot of people are going to say "buy online" but I don't want to. I've gone to my local Stihl dealer for so many years and he's done so much for me that I can't show up with a Stihl that wasn't bought there.

I guess there's always Husky or Jonsered, but Stihl has way better dealer support. (And I just like Stihl better) :angel:

I own both saws, and I'd say that if you're primarily going to be in wood 12"-18" you'd be fine with the 361. It's a great saw for it's size and cc range. I use mine when the dia of tree allows it. It is easier to carry, it's anti-vibe is better than the 440, and you can get an aftermarket full wrap handlebar for it if you so desire. It's got pretty good low end grunt, and has yet to fail me in a cut. If I'm in anything larger than 24" or so my 361 will easily handle it (I run a 24" on mine, which many will say is too long, but for West Coast demands, woods, and usage, it's standard issue on that saw, and the saw runs fine with it) but I'll usually step it up to the 440 or 460 depending on the stand of trees. The 440 will of course have more low end, and overall power, but in the wood you described, the 361 should work just fine, and will carry alot easier. The 361 limbs great as well. The dogs on a 361 are kinda puny from the factory, so I modded a set off of a 440/460 and they work great. There's a pic of the saw with the bigger dogs in this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=19763

Get the muffler opened up, and it'll be all the more of a saw. I had Dean do my muffler, and actually have yet to run it, as I've been down sick for some time, but I should have it up and running within the week I hope.

Go see your dealer. You can't get Stihl's online anyway.

Jeff

I have a fair amount of run time on an 044 but only a little on the 361. In my opinion, if the trees are only 12-18", I would definately go with the 361. It seems nice and light with plenty of power for that size wood. Dont get me wrong, I like larger saws for bucking big wood but I think the 361 will pretty much do it all in that size range.

Thanks for the info. The $200 price differance seems to be forcing me to go with the MS 361, I don't know why the price differance has to be so big. :( And the MS 440 actaully has a big $999 (CAN) sticker on it, but the dealer said I could have it for $100 less. When I said "online" I meant people might tell me to go to ebay for an "almost new" saw.

I agree with the others primarily because you have to carry the saw all day. The 440 is a GREAT saw and fun to use, but if I was lugging it around all day, I would be looking at a 361 for the work you describe.

361 full wrap

Jeff,
Thats a real nice handlebar, where do they come from? Do they make them for any other saws?

Phoenix said:
Jeff,
Thats a real nice handlebar, where do they come from? Do they make them for any other saws?

That's a USA Handlebar. I got mine from Madsen's. I guess there's a bit of history with them, and their origin, but from what I understand, they're made here in WA. Madsen's offers them in full-wrap, as that one is, and in a Stihl factory 3/4 wrap for the 044/440, 046/460, and 066/660. They offer only a full-wrap as that for the 036 and 361. I think Bailey's used to carry them, and may still have some, or some similar to it. I love it.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, good info. I think I can see one for my 460 in the future, we can't get wraps on the east coast and I'd like to try one.

My 066 Arctic came with a full wrap handle. Too bad I had the extra side cut off to save weight so it doesn't run into stuff. It would have been handy for certain types of cutting.

I would get a 440 just because it has more power. It will also give you more muscle having to carry it all day. It is not that heavy of a saw! especially with a 20 inch bar. Every one i know that cuts logs in VA,( 10" and up hard wood) runs a minimum of 70 cc's under the hood. The man I used to work for would give me the choice of a 046, 066, or a 288. none of which are feathers. I always took the 066 for the power and being 16 at the time the thrill of running a 066. At the end of the day my arms hurt so bad that my left elbo would barly bend enough to drive home. But like i said carrying heavy stuff around will build muscle, I shure did hauling around thoes saws.

I ran the a ms 361 the other day, nice saw I was impressed. I love my 044 though, and it is pretty light. Most of my buddies run 066s, but I do just fine with my 044, and I also agree wraps are the way to go.

You said topping so are you climbing with this saw or are you just limbing ?

If your not climbing go with a 440 or even a 460 and get rid of the 66. Why are you wanting to run such a puny bar on a saw for ?

I run a 20" bar on my MS260 it works good for when I don't want to be lugging my 46 Magnum with a 28" bar.

A 440 with a 20" bar is a waste you should be running minimum 24" bar that way your not bending over too far causing back strain.

As for wrap handles I won't own a big saw without one they should be standard issue :p

Ms440

Steve here... Don't waste your money on a 361. Buy the Ms440 you won't be disapointed. In the last six months I have had four friends buy 440's and they all are glad, they did. Just remember...you get what ya pay for.
Steve
ps you can put an 046 early dual port muffler cover on it too...

066Arctic
066 Brazilian
088KD
090AV
Homelite 750
Wards/WestBend 820

Im in the same boat you are I am looking to get another mid range saw I have an older 036 it runs good but I am looking at the new ms 361 I like the way it looks. I had a ms 440 before and it was awesome so its sort of a toss up which ever I can find on ebay in my price range first. Thats the only fair way to do it I guess.

Or you could buy a Huky 372 and be done with the whole purchase at a less exspensive price. Not to mention better ergronomics for long sawing days.

Hey Steve you going to Cali again this year. I am sure you know how well the 372 of pauls ran.

It looks like the forum is just as divided on the 361 vs 440 as I am. Thanks for all the repies though. And if I can get a really good deal on a Husky (372 XP) then maybe I'll go that way. It kind of ruins my Stihl loyalty though. :angry:

Pacific said:
You said topping so are you climbing with this saw or are you just limbing ?

If your not climbing go with a 440 or even a 460 and get rid of the 66. Why are you wanting to run such a puny bar on a saw for ?

I run a 20" bar on my MS260 it works good for when I don't want to be lugging my 46 Magnum with a 28" bar.

A 440 with a 20" bar is a waste you should be running minimum 24" bar that way your not bending over too far causing back strain.

As for wrap handles I won't own a big saw without one they should be standard issue :p

I'm just cutting the top off when it's on the ground (but I bet I'll eventually have to cut all of the branches off of the top too to leave a firewood log).

I like the 20" on any saw other than my 066. I don't know why. Maybe because there are less teeth to sharpen. You don't really need anything bigger than that considering how heavily logged these forsets around here are. (Nothing over 2 feet in diamiter really, and a lot of stuff barely over a foot). I absolutly refuse to cut off all the branches with a 24". It's too akward. I like a 16" on my MS 260 if I'm not falling or bucking.

I like the 066 Stihls, dislike the 361, weak saw, not a pro saw. Get a 372 with a wrap handle and the big dogs. I have falled and bucked all day with 288 that had a 32" bar many times, but for that sized wood a 372 is perfect.

Back